PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Premiere Elements.exe has stopped working

CRD
January 28th, 2010, 07:44 PM
This is the message I get when I try to open the program. What happened?

It also says "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

ATR
January 28th, 2010, 08:13 PM
CRD

Sorry to learn of this setback. Let us see if we can resolve it.

First, check out the following Adobe Tech Note which addresses many possible causes for the situation. Flushing the preferences is always top of the list, but best go through the troubleshooting systematically after you review the whole.

After you do that, please let me know what helped or did not help, and we will see what needs to be done.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404998.html

Do not be discouraged.

ATR

CRD
January 28th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I right-clicked on Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0 in the start menu. One of the selections was "run as administrator". I selected that and Premiere started up. It still won't run when I left-click on Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0 in the start menu.

Can you explain what this means?

To re-create the Premiere Elements preferences folders:

Close Premiere Elements.
Rename the 7.0 folder (for example, to Old 7.0) in the C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements folder.
Rename the Styles folder (for example, to Old Styles) in the C:\Users\[your user name]\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\7.0 folder.
Open Premiere Elements. Premiere Elements will create new preferences folders.
I'm not sure exactly where to find the folders discussed in #2 and #3.

ATR
January 28th, 2010, 09:22 PM
CRD

You need to get to Documents and Settings and the Premiere Elements Folder there that contain the 7.0 Folder inside it. I have Windows XP Professional SP3 and this is the long version of the route:

Start
Programs
Accessories
Windows Explorer
My Computer
Local Disk (C:)
Documents and Settings
Owner
Application Data
Adobe
Premiere Elements Folder
A folder named 7.0

When you see the folder named 7.0, right click it, select Rename, and then type in 7.0 Old (this folder is full and contains the current preference files and folders)

Then right click a blank area in the vicinity of the folder now named 7.0 Old, select New, then Folder. Name this new empty folder 7.0 Once you reopen Premiere Elements 7, the program will rebuild the preferences files and folders and put them in this folder that you just created.

Let me know what happens. Do not delete anything yet. The program recognizes only folder 7.0 and will ignore folder 7.0 Old.

I will be watching for your results.

ATR

CRD
January 28th, 2010, 11:07 PM
OK. I renamed the old folder and created a new folder. Elements still will not open and I am getting the same error message.

ATR
January 28th, 2010, 11:15 PM
CRD

Besides deleting the Preferences, did you have time to go through the line of troubleshooting?

Try and go through as much as you can tonight (I am not sure what time it is where you are), and I will work from that in the morning.

Do you recall any downloads, addition of software, or any change in the computer environment just prior to this failure to open.

We may end up doing a complete and clean uninstall/reinstall which means uninstalling Premiere Elements 7 through Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs, followed by a complete check through the program files and computer to make sure all the Premiere Elements 7 files and folders are really gone before the reinstall of Premiere Elements 7.

To be continued....

ATR

CRD
January 29th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Went through the troubleshooting guide, including uninstall/reinstall. Still no luck. Same error message.

Again, if I right clock in the Premiere Elements icon and select "run as administrator", the program opens and seems to be working. Does that mean anything?

CRD
January 29th, 2010, 05:57 PM
OK...not sure exactly what happened, but I am up and running again.

After uninstalling and reinstalling, I noticed that a desktop icon for Premiere had been created. I right-clicked on that and saw an option titled "Troubleshoot Compatibility". I clicked on that, followed the prompts, and the problem seems to be fixed.

ATR - thanks for all of your help...can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

ATR
January 29th, 2010, 06:27 PM
CRD

Great troubleshooting.

These programs need to be run in a User Account with Administrative Privileges. Any chance there was a User Account issue?

However, you did say following the Troubleshoot Compatibility messages that you solved the problem. Were any hints in the path of the prompts that told us what compatibility issue was the problem?

It would be good to know to avoid this type of problem surfacing again. But right now, the good news is that you are moving forward. I am heading over to your other posts to see what is happening there.

Keep up the good work.

ATR

ilikepike7
July 30th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Anyone still out there? I have a similar problem. I am running a brand new computer with windows 8.1. All updates are in check and QuickTime is installed. I used the method mentioned above (Troubleshoot Compatibility) and got it to work for a while, but now I am experiencing problems again. I only seem to get the error message as soon as I try to drop a clip onto the timeline. After this, the message pops up and the program crashes again... What should I try next?

Sepiana
July 30th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Hi ilikepike7, welcome aboard!:)

As you are new to this forum and you seem to be in dire need of help, you may want to check this thread.

Premiere Elements Users - Read This Before Posting (http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82022)