PDA

View Full Version : PE 7 or * on high end machines

Brianfromsouthbay
January 28th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Hello all and especially ATR.

I have been using PE 7 and Pinnacle Systems Studio 12. On both, output quality was blurry and unsatisfactory using several different formats. Titles especially were fuzzy.

At first, I assumed it was my graphics card. I ran the sw in 32-bit compatibility mode. I purchased a new computer with an i7 and Quadro graphics card and 8gb of ram --- more power than I need today.

PE8 now runs better with faster rendering but is unstable in Win7 Have not seen much improvement in output quality. Pinnacle, well, don't get me started.

I am frustrated to know end. I don't want to shell out $800 for Premiere Pro. Also, I would like to stick to PE8 for now because eventually I will use Premiere Pro.

Any advice would be appreciated greatly. I would pay if Adobe would make a 64-bit version of PE.

Thanks,
Brian

ATR
January 28th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Brian

PE8 now runs better with faster rendering but is unstable in Win7 Have not seen much improvement in output quality.

There are several reports online saying that Premiere Elements 8 runs well (better) on a clean Windows 7 in comparison to Windows XP or Vista. When you say that Premiere Elements 8 runs better with faster rendering...just how much faster rendering?

Let us start here, and I will ask my typical questions:

(1) Are you running Premiere Elements 8 with the Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features disabled. And, when and if needing those features, are you using them on a command basis?

(2) Have you checked out your Edit Mode Monitor display with and without a check mark next to "Enable GPU Playback"?

(3) Under Display/Settings etc, have you tried taking the Hardware Acceleration Slider to NONE and seen how stability was impacted?

(4) Are you typically multitasking when running Premiere Elements 8?

Now for the next line of questions:

(1) What is the source, format, and duration of what you are putting on the Premiere Elements 8 Timeline? What are the corresponding project presets that you have been setting?

(2) What are your corresponding export types
output quality was blurry and unsatisfactory using several different formats. Titles especially were fuzzy.
What players did you use to judge output quality? And, did the rendered Timeline (especially for titles) look fuzzy at that level? Did you compare how titles and stills looked at Edit Mode Magnification of "Fit" vs "100%"? Do you work with stills as well as video? If so, what are the pixel dimensions of the photos and how many of them do you use in a given project?

Premiere Elements is a 32 bit application that runs in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system and as such has all the limitations of 32 bit. I think that you know that. And, it has not been optimized for a 64 bit system. However Premiere Pro CS4, although still a 32 bit application, has been optimized for a 64 bit system. And, from what I have read, Premiere Pro versions after CS4 will be 64 bit applications. I see no such event in sight for Premiere Elements, but who knows come version 9???

When you are running Premiere Elements 8 in your Windows 7 64 bit system, 8 GB RAM installed, what are the read outs in the Task Manager Performance, especially for Physical Memory and Commit Charge? Also, just how much hard drive space does you computer have? How often do you defragment it even if it is new? Are you sure that your drivers (even new) are updated?

Let us start here and see where this leads us with regard to what is causing the issues that you describe.

ATR