PDA

View Full Version : New Project

ksdkomo
January 27th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I have used all of the various Adobe programs for years so I'm not new to the software. I just installed Premiere Elements 8 on my Sony Vaio running Win 7 64bitbecause my older versions of the software won't run on my 64bit machine so I bought Premiere and Photoshop Elements just to run on this new computer.

I tried to create a new project and it saves the project file but nothing happens. I tried to open the project I just created and I get the following error message:

Projects creaed in Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Premiere Elements are not compatible. Please use the appropriate application to open the project.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be helpful because I'm a bit frustrated. I expected to install the program and quickly create the video project I need to have done and instead I can't even manage to get a project opened.

ATR
January 27th, 2010, 08:38 PM
ksdkomo

Please excuse if these questions are too basic, but I need to get answers for them in order to troubleshoot your issue effectively.

Sony Vaio Premiere Elements General

(1) You say that you have installed Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8 on your Sony Vaio laptop which has a Windows 7 64 bit operating system. How much installed RAM/available RAM and total/free hard drive space does your computer have?
(2) What earlier versions of Premiere Elements do you have that will not work in your Sony Vaio system? Although Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility List shows Premiere Elements 7 "Recommends Upgrade", there are many users successfully running Premiere Elements 7 in a Windows 7 64 bit system.
(3) Did you purchase Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8 separate from your Sony Vaio or did they come as OEM with the Sony Vaio?

Premiere Elements 8 Specifics

(1) Are you running the program with Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer disabled?
(2) What is the project preset (new project dialog) that you set before the workspace opens?
(3) What is on this Timeline that will not Save....Videos (source, format, and duration) Photos (pixel dimensions and how many) Other? How are you saving and closing the project? And, how did you get your Timeline media there...Get Media/Files and Folders?
(4) I tried to create a new project and it saves the project file but nothing happens.
Please explain the part about nothing happens. How do you save the project.prel file and what you expect to happen? Did you do a Save or a Save and Close? And after closing the project, did you go looking for it on the hard drive location that you set (see new project dialog and what you designated in Save In:)? Was it there as well as found in the Open Project of the new project dialog?
(5) In view of what you wrote: "it saves the project file, but nothing happens", where are you getting this
I tried to open the project I just created and I get the following error message:
Projects created in Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Premiere Elements are not compatible. Please use the appropriate application to open the project.
If you have not saved the project and closed it, what do you have to open and where are you finding whatever you have to open?

You say
I have used all of the various Adobe programs for years so I'm not new to the software
Because of this, I am having a difficult time understanding the present situation. But with a lot of filling in the gaps, we can work this out together. Please define what Adobe programs that you have used and specifically what versions of Premiere Elements you have used and when.

Thank you for your understanding in my asking all these questions, but it is necessary.

ATR

ksdkomo
January 27th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Thank you for your response – I’ve spent nearly an hour on the phone with customer support with no resolution to the problem. They had me defrag my hard drive which did nothing. I also uninstalled Premiere Elements 8 and reinstalled it

(1) You say that you have installed Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8 on your Sony Vaio laptop which has a Windows 7 64 bit operating system. How much installed RAM/available RAM and total/free hard drive space does your computer have?
I have an Intel Processor – 3.06 GHz – 8.0 GB of RAM – 287 GB hard drive – 170 GB free

(2) What earlier versions of Premiere Elements do you have that will not work in your Sony Vaio system? Although Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility List shows Premiere Elements 7 "Recommends Upgrade", there are many users successfully running Premiere Elements 7 in a Windows 7 64 bit system.
I don’t own any version of Premiere Elements other than version 8 which I purchased today at Best Buy and installed on the laptop. (I included the fact that I’ve used prior versions simply to suggest that I have a lot of experience using adobe software and don’t believe the problem lies in my lack of knowledge using the software – I have a desktop PC running Win XP SP2 that has the following Adobe Software on it – Pagemaker 7.0, Streamline 4.0, AfterEffects 5.0, Illustrator 10.0, ImageReady 7.0, Photoshop 7.0 and Premiere 5.1)

I purchased the Adobe Photoshop Elements 8/Premiere Elements 8 software because I needed a video editing software on the laptop. I had no problem installing Photoshop 7.0 on the laptop but Premiere 5.1 would not install on the 64 bit machine – and since I couldn’t afford to buy the latest version of Premiere CS I purchased the Elements version for now. (I should note that Photoshop Elements 8 is fine and worked as soon as it installed)

(3) Did you purchase Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8 separate from your Sony Vaio or did they come as OEM with the Sony Vaio? Separate

Premiere Elements 8 Specifics

(1) Are you running the program with Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer disabled? Didn’t get this far

(2) What is the project preset (new project dialog) that you set before the workspace opens? It was the default settings – when you click new project on the Welcome to Adobe Premiere Elements 8 screen when you start the program for the first time after install. Since I’ve used prior versions, I just wanted to go in and see what I could do with it.

(3) What is on this Timeline that will not Save....Videos (source, format, and duration) Photos (pixel dimensions and how many) Other? How are you saving and closing the project? And, how did you get your Timeline media there...Get Media/Files and Folders?
The timeline never came up.

(4) Please explain the part about nothing happens. How do you save the project.prel file and what you expect to happen? Did you do a Save or a Save and Close? And after closing the project, did you go looking for it on the hard drive location that you set (see new project dialog and what you designated in Save Infile:///C:/Users/Kelly/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif? Was it there as well as found in the Open Project of the new project dialog? I tried a number of different ways to get something to happen. (1) I clicked New Project on the opening screen – saved the project Test.prel – it saved to Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/8.0 – When I hit save the actual program window opened up – but no project opened. I had a blank screen with the toolbar across the top – i.e. file, edit, etc. All options where ghosted out (greyed out and unavailable) with the exception of New Project, Open Project and Exit found under File. (2) I clicked Open Project and directed the program to look in the file folder above – it saw the project Test and I tried to get it to open the project – however all it did was “think” about it for a few seconds and then I got the error message saying that projects created with Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Premiere Elements are not compatible and that I needed to pick the appropriate application to open the file in (3) I then tried going to the folder directly and opening the file – once again, program opens and I get the error message. (4) I tried to create a new project from within the program, as opposed to doing so on the Welcome Screen – I type in the name and it creates the file but it doesn’t actually open up a timeline or anything else within the program – the screen still stays blank and all options are still ghosted out and the program still acts as if I don’t have a project open at all.

I think I’ve answered everything now – just let me know if you have any more questions or any of this is not clear – I really need to get this working, if possible, and the tech support was not helpful at all.

ATR
January 27th, 2010, 11:54 PM
ksdkomo

It is late where I am so I will review all your comments and think on this some more in several hours in the early morning.

Just a quick question, maybe I missed in just now, where did you install the Premiere Elements 8 program files. I am pretty sure it would have been on the C Local Hard Drive along with the program files for the other programs, but I will ask anyway.

ATR

ksdkomo
January 28th, 2010, 06:26 AM
I installed it in the default location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0

ksdkomo
January 28th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I've got it fixed. I completely uninstalled for the second time and reinstalled it from adobe.com (as opposed to using the CD install from the store). It just opened up the editing screen - which is farther than I've got up to this point.

Hopefully, I've got it figured out now.

Thanks for your help.

ATR
January 28th, 2010, 07:42 AM
ksdkomo

I was so glad to learn that you have resolved your issue and are able to move forward with your projects.

What did you do? Did you download the free 30 day tryout Premiere Elements 8 from Adobe for tryout and/or purchase and will subsequently return the boxed product to Best Buy OR will or have you used the boxed serial number as part of the online arrangement?

I am not sure if you have seen the following AdobeTech Note "Troubleshoot Premiere Elements 8 installation problems (Windows)", but I will post the link to it just in case it might be of interest.....
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/515/cpsid_51584.html

Continued success. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

Thanks for updating us on your results.

ATR
Do not forget to disable Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer and just use those features on command when and if you need them. If you have not already, check out the threads here to review the issues/solutions that other users encountered with Premiere Elements 8.

sarahk
February 19th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Hi there,

I found this thread by Googling the error message that I got, which is the "projects created with Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Premiere Elements are not compatible...." one and what ksdkomo describes is exactly what happens when I try to create a project on Premiere Elements 8.

I have never had Premiere Pro installed on my computer, so I am at a loss to explain the reference to that.

Now that I have started looking into finding a solution to this issue that I am having, I have found nothing but shocking reviews on this software and am concerned that I have thrown away my hard-earned on something that will ultimately have to be replaced by something that actually works.

I am hoping like mad that somebody on here might be able to point me in the direction of a solution and prove that me wrong...

Thanks in advance,

Sarah Klass

ATR
February 19th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Sarah Klass

You need to start your own thread and go into details specific to your situation, including:
a. source, format, and duration of what you are putting on the Premiere Elements 8 Timeline (camcorder brand and model if possible)...what are your project presets and export settings??
b. computer resources (available RAM, free hard drive space, defragmentation, etc.)
c. and details specific to your situation
d. what troubleshooting have you tried so far...any clean and complete uninstall/reinstall, installing from online download or installation disc???
e. other

Problems may seem to have the same symptoms, but often have different causes. My recollection is that Adobe has a 30 day return policy, so keep an eye on the purchase date if you want refund consideration from them. They also offer free technical service for installation issues related to purchased, registered, current version. So, it may be to your advantage to contact them. That does not prohibit us from working on the troubleshooting here. This web site is not owned or managed by Adobe. We are just users helping other users.

So, start your own thread filled with details of your situation, and we will work together to get you moving forward on your project.