PDA

View Full Version : How do you add music?

SuperNinja
January 24th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I'm editing a video for a school project using Adobe Premiere Elements 8 and I want to add music in the background to some of the scenes. Can someone please tell me how to do this or if it can even be done?

Wendy
January 25th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Hi SuperNinja ..

... and welcome to the Village :)

I will transfer your message over to the Premiere Elements section as I think you will get more replies if it is in there :)

Wendy

ATR
January 25th, 2010, 10:38 AM
SN

For now I will give you an overview since a lot will depend on what the background music is for.

(a) stills on video track 1, no audio
(b) video on video track 1, with audio which is not people speaking
(c) video on video track 1, with audio in which people are speaking

If it is just stills and no audio, import your music file with Premiere Elements 8’s Get Media/Files and Folder and drag it to the Timeline View Soundtrack and position it under the area to which you want background music. You can adjust the volume of the whole clip with
(a) right clicking the audio file on the Soundtrack, selecting Show Properties, and then in Properties adjust the Volume and/or add Fade In Fade Out.
(b) for volume control, you can also use the Audio Mix feature (Soundtrack option) under Audio Tools. Also, see Audio Tools/Smart Sound as a source for some background music (cut to specific lengths.

If you have video with audio which is something other than people speaking, you could use the same approach, but, using the Audio Mix or Properties Volume, you would include adjusting the audio of the soundtrack and audio of the video so that the appropriate one predominates at the appropriate time.

If you have video with audio which is essentially people speaking, then you have the added perk of the “Smart Mix” which automatically adjusts the volumes of the video’s audio and soundtrack so that the soundtrack is lowered when you want to hear what the persons are saying.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/8.0/Win/Using/WSB4957FEC-DAAA-4069-AAC8-B969BE2E03B2.html
Smart Fix is found with the Audio Tools. The route would be Audio Tools/Smart Fix/Options and designating the appropriate Background or Foreground for the audio tracks involved. I have found that this feature does not work UNLESS you have dialog in the audio and audio with dialog that is distinct and not muffled.

The Premiere Elements 8 Help PDF (accessed via the program’s Help Menu) can be a big help in getting started with your project’s audio. (See section titled “Adding and Mixing Audio”.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/8.0/Win/Using//WSB38458C5-EB24-4a7c-8002-744E2C59BDD3.html (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/8.0/Win/Using/WSB38458C5-EB24-4a7c-8002-744E2C59BDD3.html)
Also check out all the features under Audio Tools:
Smart Mix
Audio Mix
Add Narration
Detect Beats (if you want stills at beat of music)
Smart Sound (source of some free soundtrack music cut to specific lengths)

Please read and review the above and, if you need additional information (step by step) or clarification on anything that I have written, please let me know.

ATR

SuperNinja
March 26th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I'm sorry this is so late but thank you so much. You've no idea how much both of you have helped. Again, thank you so much for all your help!:D

ATR
March 26th, 2010, 09:43 PM
SN

Thank you very much for the follow up.

I was glad to learn that it helped with your project.

Continued success.

ATR