PDA

View Full Version : Pick the "BEST" one (format)

Tom Blizzard
January 23rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hi again,
I know that Premiere likes DV-AVI best of all. However, I'd appreciate some help with picking the next best file format.

To help with some commercial projects, I have bought some stock video scenes and will use them on a new project. They come on a DVD and when rendered to my computer, I have the choice of the following outputs:
1. Quicktime Movie ( I've used this in Premiere for transitions, backgrounds, etc. over the past few years with great success.)

2. AVI

3. AVI (type 2) [ This is noted to be for "older" editing software] whatever that means...

4. Windows Media

5.RTV (Video Toaster) I guess this is NOT a consideration..

So what do you think??

BTW, ATR I am slowly getting into Pro, but I keep going back to Elements due to the quick turnaround time. Especially with the crisis in Haiti and my help there.
Regards, Tom B.

ATR
January 23rd, 2010, 06:05 PM
Tom B.

They come on a DVD and when rendered to my computer
What is on this DVD, DVD-VIDEO or something else? Are you ripping VOBs from a DVD-VIDEO with something other than MPEG Streamclip? It sounds to me like you are ripping VOBs from DVD-VIDEO, and that this ripping program is the one giving you these output choices. Are you still using Premiere Elements 3.0.2 when you are not working with Premiere Pro?

If ripping VOBs from DVD-VIDEO, the first choice is typically inserting the DVD disc in the burner tray and using the Premiere Elements Media Downloader for the ripping process. As I have written over and over, that works great for many. But for many it does not because of quality or more likely out of sync audio.

Usually the second route is trying to solve the problem via the non re-encoding technique of renaming the file extension from .VOB to .mpg or .avi.

Then the third choice (maybe should have been the only choice) is converting the VOBs to DV AVI with best results using MPEG Streamclip. That typically works like a "charm".

In my mind, anything other than the DV AVI version has multi concerns:
a. will the quality be OK and the audio in sync
b. what is the file size and bitrate and quality going to be
c. who is my audience and what is the target play back type PC/Mac etc.

If VOBs are not involved, then try to replicate the type of results that you got with QuickTime and Premiere Pro, having the latest version of QuickTime installed for your Premiere Elements. Work with the settings under the Premiere Elements QuickTime export Advance button.

Remember, the file extension is typically the wrapper format which houses the compression format. AVI is just a wrapper format. To judge a file with an .avi file extension and Premiere Elements compatibility, it is best to think in terms of both the wrapper and the compression type. Premiere Elements Microsoft DV AVI is Type 2.

So, it is important to know what you are starting with the compression/wrapper-wise for those stock scenes and all that other things that I mentioned above.

ATR
(Special thank you for your support to those devastated by the earthquakes in Haiti. Keep safe in bringing aid and hope to so many in need.)