PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Cannot add 960p PRESET in Elements 8

r1mick
January 20th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Help.. I am using a GoPro HD camera.. which has a resolution of 960p (4:3)..

I cannot add a custom preset to Premiere Elements 8 to handle this size, so I have to use 1080p which makes black bars around the whole video..

I cannot see the option on how to create a Custom Preset like you used to be able to do in Elements 7..

Please help..

It would also be good if you could CHANGE a projects settings to match this new resolution so I don't have to re-do all the work..

ATR
January 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM
r1mick

From what I have read you GoPro HD can record video with H.264 compression and .mp4 file extension (wrapper format) either:
1080p 1920 x 1080 30 frames per second (this is square pixels and should be 16:9)
960p 1280 x 960 30 frames per second (this is square pixels and supposedly a true 4:3)
720p 1280 x 720 30 frames per second (this is square pixels and should be 16:9)

Why is it that you just do not shot 720p and be done with it. Premiere Elements has a project preset for 720p (NTSC, HDV HDV 720p30 or its PAL counterpart)? How do you intend to export your Timeline once you get your video there? There is no project preset for 1080p, only 1080i. And, all the HD project presets have 16:9 aspect ratios.

But, if you are determined to edit 1280 x 960 square pixels (960p) in Premiere Elements and barring any problems with the video or audio format itself, you might consider the following if you want to maintain the video resolution and aspect ratio and export via Share/Personal Computer using MPEG, Windows Media, or QuickTime.

1. Premiere Elements project preset (new project dialog) = NTSC HDV HDV 720p30 or PAL counterpart.
2. In Premiere Elements workspace, Edit Menu/Preferences/General, uncheck "Default Scale to Frame Size".
3. Import your 960p video via Premiere Elements's Get Media/Files and Folders.
4. Edit, with Monitor set at 50%.
5. Share/Personal Computer/export choice, example MPEG preset 720p30. Under the Advance Button, change the frame size from 1280 x 720 to 1280 x 960.
6. See what that looks like.

Please offer more details on your export goals as well as letting me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on anything that I have written.

The creating new project presets in Premiere Elements 7 feature is gone in Premiere Elements 8, true. But, even in Premiere Elements 7, the New Project Preset was for modifying existing project preset, not creating new one from scratch. And, there were but a few settings that could be modified, typically not including the frame size.

ATR

r1mick
January 20th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Hi ATR..

Thanks for your reply..

I'm recording in 960p as its the default on the GoPro HD and also, gives you the TALLEST frame possible.. So for what I'm shooting (Helmet cam while snowboarding) it works really well..

Sorry.. I meant 1080i in Elements.. I have already edited a project using my 960p videos in a 1080i project. And it just uses black bars around it.. I exported to a high quality FLASH output and even tried to just crop it using Adobe Media Encoder.. but for some reason, it drops the audio out of it?? Wierd??

I'm sorry I don't understand what you meant with point 4.. about setting Monitor to 50%? Is this just to help with viewing the output?

ATR
January 20th, 2010, 09:05 PM
r1mick

When you have "Default Scale to Frame Size" uncheck, it does not. What you are seeing is not your video scaled to the frame size of the project preset, but rather the resolution of the video. Typically the Edit Mode Monitor is set to Fit (or 100% if there is a deinterlace factor involved). The 50% view was intended so that you could see what you had.

If you have not already, I still think that you should shoot a few rounds of 720p and put it through the process, and then do a one on one comparison between 720p and 960p. But, as I always say, if you have a good thing going, do not mess with success.

Please update us on your progress.

ATR

r1mick
January 21st, 2010, 04:06 AM
Hi ATR..

thanks for the help..

I did your reccomendations with creating a 720p project etc.. but it seems to strech the video.. so not ideal..

I even downloaded the trial of the FULL version of Permiere, set it to a "desktop resolution" and set it to 1280x960.. but when I add the videos in.. it only take the audio of the movie.. No video?? Is the video codec not supported in Premerie Pro when it IS in Elements?

ATR
January 21st, 2010, 07:48 AM
Is the stretched video in the Monitor or in viewing the export? For 1280 x 960 or 1280 x 720 via the 720p export with frame sizes adjusted accordingly under the Advance Button?

What happened in the following scenario...stretched export?

But, if you are determined to edit 1280 x 960 square pixels (960p) in Premiere Elements and barring any problems with the video or audio format itself, you might consider the following if you want to maintain the video resolution and aspect ratio and export via Share/Personal Computer using MPEG, Windows Media, or QuickTime.

1. Premiere Elements project preset (new project dialog) = NTSC HDV HDV 720p30 or PAL counterpart.
2. In Premiere Elements workspace, Edit Menu/Preferences/General, uncheck "Default Scale to Frame Size".
3. Import your 960p video via Premiere Elements's Get Media/Files and Folders.
4. Edit, with Monitor set at 50%.
5. Share/Personal Computer/export choice, example MPEG preset 720p30. Under the Advance Button, change the frame size from 1280 x 720 to 1280 x 960.
6. See what that looks like.

As for Premiere Pro, is that the CS4 tryout version? Have you tried renaming the file extension from .mp4 to .avi, or .mpg or .mov before importing it into Premiere Pro?

To be continued....

ATR

Sand M.E.
January 7th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I found this thread and tried it since I am having the same issues with GoPro 960p output. Following the steps works well, and despite the preview window appearing skewed it has the right resolution and aspect ratio in the output. Thanks for the tips.

ATR
January 7th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Sand M.E.

We are glad that you found the information in this thread helpful.

Continued success with your projects.

By the way, what version of Premiere Elements are you using?

ATR

darrask
February 7th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Hello ATR, hi everyone!
This would be my first post here. I searched the forum to find an appropriate thread but I think this one fits the bill. I posted something similar on the adobe forums but I read that here, ATR is running the show!

I'm looking for a 720p project setting in Adobe premiere Elements 8. Over at the Adobe forums, they try to make custom settings by hacking the software...

I'm really glad APE users release patches that should be implemented by Adobe. Just like Panasonic, when they cripple the GH1 so that I have to rely on Tester 13's patch to get a properly wrapped AVCHD container and so on...

However, recently I've rather switched to shooting in 720p MJPEG because of the more attractive grainy look to it (Sadly, even hacked, the GH1 does not output true 1080 MJPEG), however I can't find any 720p MJPEG project presets for APE 8, and my computer can't handle 1080p, which would not make sense anyway to upscale to.

Kind of misleading, because the Adobe help (in the offline version) says you can do lots of fun stuff:
Create a preset from an open project

Creating a preset from an open project does not change the settings for the current, open project; it simply creates a new project preset.

Choose Edit > Project Settings > General.
In the Project Settings dialog box, specify project settings for General, Capture, Video Rendering, and Default Timeline.
Click Save.
Type a name and description.http://forums.adobe.com/thread/447974?tstart=0Save and name your project settings even if you plan to use them in only one project. Saving settings creates a backup copy you can use if someone accidentally alters the current project settings.
Select or deselect Include Device Control Settings, and click OK.

#Delete a custom preset

In the Welcome screen, click New Project. (Or, choose File > New > Project.)
In the New Project dialog box, click Change Settings.
Select the custom preset from the Available Presets list, and click Delete Preset

All this is not available in Adobe premiere elements 8 and in the actual online help version, it was removed. I even read about a button for creating new, custom, project settings. Great! But has all this been disabled in the 8.0.1 update? Then I'd rather revert to 8.0.

In case I'm just fantasizing, tell me if I missed something in my setup dialog:

http://i55.tinypic.com/168spoz.jpg

No way to do custom settings, and to change settings when the project is already running, the options are grayed out. Now why would Adobe want to stop users doing custom project settings? If they do, they should at least provide a complete settings list.

I'd like to know just why we can't do any custom project presets (there seems to be a common implicit understanding) and whether the only solution are really the private user-made patches.
Thank you!

ATR
February 7th, 2011, 02:57 PM
darrask

It is old business that Premiere Elements 8's new project dialog does not have the New Preset button for creating "new presets" as does Premiere Elements 7. But, even that feature in Premiere Elements 7 had its limitations. If you have a problem with that Adobe design decision, then please address that to Adobe via its Adobe Bug report or via a telephone call to its Customer Service.
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html

However, if you want to know the best possible settings for your video import/export using Premiere Elements 8, I would be more than happy to make suggestions that should work for you. But you are going to have to start your own new thread which includes significant details, including:
a. brand and model of your camcorder and the recording setting...you say 720p MPEG...what is that, 720p30, 720p60 or other....
b. what is your video and audio codec...is MPEG the compression or the file extension (wrapper for the compression)?
c. how do you want to export your Premiere Elements Timeline with this "720p MPEG" video on it, including frame rate
d. is it your intention to do frame by frame by frame editing of the Timeline video

What size project do you have in mind? And, are you running the program under optimal conditions including
a. Running the Premiere Elements 8.0.1 Update version
b. Running the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 with the automatic Background and AutoAnalzyer features turned OFF
c. What do your computer resources look like?

This site is not owned or operated by Adobe. And, I am not affliated with Adobe in any way. My goal is to troubleshoot the program, not sell it. To sum it up, if you came ONLY to post the question
I'd like to know just why we can't do any custom project presets (there seems to be a common implicit understanding) and whether the only solution are really the private user-made patches.
You are in the wrong place.
If you came to obtain suggestions for the best use of Premiere Elements for editing of your Timeline video, you have come to the right place, and I will go the extra mile to help you achieve your video editing goals with Premiere Elements.

I will be watching for your follow up in your own new thread in the Premiere Elements Forum here so that we can work together on this matter to your satisfaction.

ATR

darrask
February 7th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Thank you very much, ATR, your answer is as complete as could be. There should be a special Adobe Premiere Elements section in this village.

I will try to contact Adobe as you say, however I'm not so optimistic that it will change anything. If it would, APE would not be the software it is.

I wasn't aware that this was "old business" in APE8, because as I wrote, the "old" help file for APE8 mentions the possibility to do that, but the online versioin dropped it.

I'm glad you helped me out and will post that extra thread you seuggested.

ATR
February 7th, 2011, 03:27 PM
darrask

Thanks for the response.

I am very optimistic about working out the details for the editing of your video with Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. Unless you are in need of frame by frame editing of your Timeline content and are working with 720p60 or 720p50, we should be able to get the job done. I will explain what I mean by all that and its implications once we get started with the troubleshooting.

Thanks again.

ATR

jmcleod
October 12th, 2012, 12:06 AM
I too have been having trouble with editing 1280x960 Gopro footage in Premiere Elements 10, and was interested by ATR's directions.

I set up the project as ATR described (except for point 4 - the monitor), and all was well except for the monitor window only displaying a 1280x720 image, and I was unable to see (in version 10 at any rate), how to change the view so that I could see the entire uncropped image.

After messing around for some time, I decided to look around in the file system, and came across the files that specify the project presets for HDV. I opened one of them in Windows Notepad, and found that it was simple text that could be edited. So, I copied one of them (HDV 720p 30.sqpreset) into a new file - HDV 960p 30.sqpreset. This I then edited in Notepad, replacing all the occurrences of 720 with 960 (except for the 720 that appeared in the VideoFrameRate value at the end of the file). On opening PE10 again, I was pleased to see a new preset now available in the HDV section for NTSC, for 960p ! Now the monitor is a full 1280x960 in size, and editing is as easy as using any of the other presets. I have not done it, but I assume a similar editing job can be done with the PAL version. Thanks, ATR for your guidance.

I subsequently discovered that with this workaround, the "default scale to frame size" no longer needs to be deselected. In addition, previously, I was unable to export (share) the output in mp4 format with AVCHD without producing black borders top and bottom in the output, this now works fine !

I hope this workaround will be found useful by others !

John

ATR
October 12th, 2012, 08:36 AM
John

Thanks for the details on what worked for you regarding editing of your GoPro 1280 x 960p footage and Premiere Elements.

I would need to look into all the ramifications of editing the existing .sqpreset file that you referenced for these purposes. Also, a member KLX450R has done some excellent work with his GoPro 1820 x 960 footage in Premiere Elements without having to resort to editing any Adobe .sqpreset. So I need to review why he did not have to and you did. These are some links to KLX450R threads here:

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58732

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59005

ATR

jmcleod
October 12th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks ATR.

The original problem I was having was this. Using 1280x960 30fps Gopro footage, I was selecting either AVCHD/HD 1080i 30, or HDV/HDV1080i in the project settings. Once the editing was over, I tried exporting the footage in mp4 format and mpeg. In each case, I adjusted the resolution to be 1280x960 30, and saved the files. Each of the files came out with the full resolution, but with the video footage surrounded by a 1.5-2 inch black border (on a 17inch screen). Looking at the shape of the outer edge of the border, I could see that this was the size and shape that a 1280x960 video would play on my screen from viewing the raw input footage. Adding a new preset resulted in being able to save in either of the formats (mpeg or mp4) with no black borders.

John

ATR
October 12th, 2012, 12:14 PM
John

Thanks for the additional information. I will look into that further as I explore the situation and the remedy that you presented for your situation.

I am still not used to the 1280 x 960 spherical look.

ATR

jmcleod
October 12th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I agree with you about the distortion in that mode. The reason I use 960p is for underwater video. Because there are very few straight lines in that situation, the distortion is barely perceptible, and the 960p view on the Gopro affords the widest coverage both vertically and horizontally, which for underwater use is great, particularly in bad visibility situations. It also produces interesting lighting effects when the camera is angled up on the subject so that it includes the "light circle" from the surface, which can be quite beautiful.

The other gotcha for me is that I just returned from diving in Cozumel with all this footage in 960p, so I have to deal with it !

John

ATR
October 12th, 2012, 01:04 PM
John

Thanks for the additional background information on your Premiere Elements workflow and projects. Fascinating source media.

ATR