PDA

View Full Version : Output format?

kitonline
January 18th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Hi there, I am new the forum and wondered if anyone could help...I am looking to buy Premiere Elements 8 and couldn't find info on the Adobe site on what video formats it can edit and what output formats it can produce?

I want to ensure that it can edit/manipulate .AVI and .MOV. Also, we havea flipvideo camera which records and outputs back as H.264 video compression (file format MP4) - not sure if this is compatible too?

I then need to be able to create an output in .wmv and in a range of compression sizes to suit emailing, online publishing but also higher quality to put on disk/memory stick etc.

Can Premiere Elements do this? I don't want to have to purchase any additional conversion & compression software.

Thank you! :)

ATR
January 18th, 2010, 09:18 AM
kitonline

I would strongly encourage you to download and look at the free 30 day Premiere Elements 8 tryout in your specific computer environment.
http://www.adobe.com

Also please look at my writeup on Premiere Elements 8 Exports and other of its features that appeared in a thread here not so long ago
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50793&page=2
(See post #19)

The video from your "flip video camera" is going to present the biggest challenge. Video from those types of cameras can be very problematic for Premiere Elements (any version). What specific flip camera do you have? What are you shooting
Frame Size
Frame Rate
Compression you say is H.264 with a .mp4 file extension. If you put your video through the utility called gspot, what does it say for video and audio codecs as well as the rest of the video audio properties?
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

I will be watching for your further details and comments.

ATR

kitonline
January 19th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Thanks so much for your response ATR - great thread, that's really useful and gspot appears to be a very cool little app! Thank you for that.

I have used Premiere 7 some time ago, but it was the old version, so I wasn't sure if it would let me download the trial again...I will see what it does.

In answer to your questions:

What specific flip camera do you have? It is the Flip Video Ultra HD
Frame Size: (wasn't sure how to find this out but it films in 1280 x 720 resolution if this helps?)
Frame Rate: 30fps

The Flip Video says that it uses H.264 video compression and AAC audio - which it seems Premiere can cope with...however, it says that its output file format is .MP4, which isn't listed anywhere with premiere.

I have double checked the files on my computer and they are actually showing as MPEG-4...so is this the same thing?

Thanks for your help!

ATR
January 19th, 2010, 12:48 PM
kitonline

The Flip Video says that it uses H.264 video compression and AAC audio - which it seems Premiere can cope with...however, it says that its output file format is .MP4, which isn't listed anywhere with premiere.

At the onset you mentioned that you were planning on buying Premiere Elements 8 to edit your flip camera video. So I am assuming that your comment that I excerpted is based on what you have understood from what you have read. Take nothing for granted. Those videos from the flip cameras are very challenging to edit in Premiere Elements, any version...from actual compression and actual wrapper.

There have been a lot of threads here on these flip cameras recently, each with their own considerations. I am going to see if I can round them up to see what is there and if there is a "Flip Video Ultra HD" one in the mix.

From your description and from what I have read about the Flip Video Ultra HD camera, you are recording
1280 x 720 @ 30 frames per second (video compression H.264 and file extension .mp4 (container/wrapper format).

Although you may see the file extension (container/wrapper) referred to as .mp4 or .mpeg4, the correct description is MPEG4 type family for the compression and .mp4 for the file extension, container/wrapper type.
http://www.axis.com/files/whitepaper/wp_h264_31669_en_0803_lo.pdf

The manufacturer of the camera prints that it delivers its video with the .mp4 file extension. If you are seeing a .mpeg4 file extension for the video imported to your hard drive instead of a .mp4 one, it may have something to do with your computer operating system and how it reports it. I would have to check further on that. But, it is well know how .mp4 and .mpeg4 are often used incorrectly interchangably. But see above on how they should be used.

Our answer on how your video handles in Premiere Elements may very well be incorporated in one of the recent threads. Worse case scenarios...renaming file extension from .mp4 to .avi, .mpg, or .mov or having to do a file conversion.

To be continued....

ATR