PDA

View Full Version : Display performance will be poor message

rayiaea
January 15th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Ok, I'm using PE 8 with a new computer. a E8400 3.0 Gig Duo Core 2 processor with 4 Gig RAM. I used to use Adobe Premiere about 8 years ago when I use doing video editing with an old Sony HandiCAM 230, now I'm doing HD editing with my Canon T1i and shooting at 1280 x 720 and burning to Blu Ray.

I'm doing about a 30 minute family video and I finally was able to burn to Blu Ray, however, I constantly get the error message "display performance will be poor due to incorrect graphics card or driver". PE8 usually freezes up and I have to reboot. I have rendered everything to green and it doesn't seem to help. This happens when I try to edit stuff on the timeline, etc. I have updated to the latest Nvidia drivers and that doesn't help.

I have a EVGA Nvidia GT220, with 1Gig DDR3 Ram. Could my video card be the weak link here?

Thanks

Ray Iaea
Elk Grove, CA
http://www.rayiaea.com

ATR
January 15th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Ray Iaea

NVIDIA cards and Premiere Elements issues have been a hot topic in threads here and elsewhere.

Please take a look at the NVIDIA card issue highlighted in the following link and see if any of that applies to your situation.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52204

Since the your Premiere Elements 8 message is giving a specific warning let us me guided by that in our initial troubleshooting and rule in or out the NVIDIA.

To be continued....

ATR

ATR
January 15th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Add on....

Just curious...if you do move forward after you get that warning message and DO NOT get the crash, do you see
a. poor display (Edit Mode Monitor) after rendering
and/or
b. poor display of your export (TV or Computer playback)

Do you have the Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features OFF?

Have you experimented with the "Enable GPU Playback" checked and unchecked under Premiere Elements 8 workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General??

Have you read the AdobeTech Note
Troubleshoot digital video playback (Adobe Premiere Elements 8)
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/515/cpsid_51526.html

ATR

DNW
July 16th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I am using Premiere Elements 8.0.1 with the same issue.
My system is a Hewlett Packard HPE-180t with i7 950 @ 3.07GHz, 8GB installed memory, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, NDivida GEForce 260 with 1.8GB memory. My hard drives are all 7200RPM 32 bit cache sata.
I have tried a variety of drivers, most recently beta 258.96_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english, which installs as 7.17.12.5896 dated 7/9/2010
I am trying to edit video footage shot and imported a while ago, on my Sony HDR-HC3 camcorder. Iím using the preset for HDV 1080i.
I am getting the message about poor video performance due to incorrectly operating graphics card or driver when I load a new project, prior to loading any video files.
Editing from the timeline in the monitor windows, I get studdery, jerky video, which sometimes freezes for a moment before it continues. My needs are very minimal Ė I am interested only in exporting segments of the video into separate aviís, as most tapes were used for several months and contain unrelated content. I mark the beginning and end of the workspace and export it, with no transitions or anything else. I am unable to output a smooth avi even though the original files play just fine in Windows Media Player.
I purchased a powerful computer specifically to edit my stock of video footage shot over the past twenty years or so, but I have been prevented from proceeding because of this error and accompanying poor performance.
I have tried the various suggestions and fixes I found in the Adobe forums and elsewhere, but the issue continues.
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

ATR
July 16th, 2010, 08:15 AM
DNW

As I have written so many times before, problems can have the same symptoms but different causes. So I would ask you to start you own new thread in the Premiere Elements Forum here.

In that new thread, I will transfer the following:

You wrote
I am getting the message about poor video performance due to incorrectly operating graphics card or driver when I load a new project, prior to loading any video files.From all that I have read, the significant of that message remains a mystery since we see users, with that message and display problem, finding the cause of the problem in the video itself, and, after correcting the video issue, still being able to move forward successfully to project completion even though the message persists. Nevertheless I would have to go back and recheck those posts to determine if the message appeared ONLY once the media was imported in Premiere Elements or whether the message appeared even before the media was imported into Premiere Elements (your case).

So, just for the moment and assuming that your video card drivers are updated and OK in spite of the message and/or the cause for your message and video display are not related, I am going to approach this troubleshooting, ignoring the message and focusing on the media and other aspects of Premiere Elements.

In that new thread, I will want to know:

Do you have the latest version of Quicktime installed on your computer?
and
a. In your Premiere Elements 8.0.1 is the AutoAnalzyer feature as well as the Background Rendering OFF?

b. Your source media from the Sony HDR-HC3 appears to be HDV 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 assumed 30 frames per second if NTSC. How are you getting that to the Premiere Elements Timeline?
HDV Capture Firewire into Premiere Elements 8.0.1 Capture Window (with the AutoAnalyzer option turned OFF) to get a video file with a .mpg file extension
or
HDV Capture Firewire into HDVSplit, followed by importing the split clips (with .m2t file extension) from the saved hard drive location to Premiere Elements with Premiere Elements' Get Media/Files and Folder
http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

c. You talk about the Timeline content
Editing from the timeline in the monitor windows, I get studdery, jerky video, which sometimes freezes for a moment before it continuesIs that jerky video seen after rendering the Timeline in the Edit Mode once you press the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard to get the best possible preview of the end product?

d. As for export, you say
My needs are very minimal – I am interested only in exporting segments of the video into separate avi’s,Are you referring to exporting your HDV 1440 x 1080 to DV AVI 720 x 480 via Share/Personal Computer/AVI or to some other file format with an .avi file extension? Whatever .avi export, did you get the jerky playback in that export? Under Share/Personal Computer/AVI, what was the preset and settings under the Advance Button?

e. General....you realize that Premiere Elements is a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of your Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit system and as such has the limitations of 32 bit system. It is a 64 bit application running in a 64 bit system that can take full advantage of the installed RAM. The 32 bit system supports 4 GB installed RAM and typically 3 GB or less RAM is available. How much available RAM does your computer have when you are running Premiere Elements? Does your Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit come with a Windows XP Compatibility Mode and have you tried running Premiere Elements in that?

Looking forward to your follow up in your new thread.

Thanks.

ATR
Add On....It looks like Patrick was getting the Display...Message when opening a new project and before importing media. That is the way I read his comments. I can question him further if need be.
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2669330

ATR
July 17th, 2010, 07:58 AM
To those following this thread and the post of DNW......

DNW's issues are continued in the new thread found:
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?p=536677#post536677

Thanks DNW for the new thread to see if we can sort out your specific issues from that "Display...." message.

ATR