PDA

View Full Version : Help! Crashing!

rachelsrachrach
January 13th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Forum,
When I'm making a video using Photoshop Elements 8, my program runs REALLY slowly. After a few minutes, it will just crash. It also does this big "backround rendering" thing in the bottom right corner, and if I do certain things (like add a clip to my video) and it's not finshed yet, it will crash. :confused: Backround rendering takes forever, and each time you add a new clip to a video it starts all over again. I have a Windows Vista laptop and it meets all the requirements and I have plenty of memory. I don't understand why it's doing this, can anyone help?:(

Thanks,
rachelsrachrach

Wendy
January 14th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Hi Rachel ...

I just noticed that you posted a similar message a couple of days ago ... someone asked if you were using Premiere Elements ?

Are you using Premiere Elements or Photoshop Elements ??

Wendy :)

msmart
January 14th, 2010, 02:36 AM
gotta be Premiere Elements if she mentions video, right?

This would be a better sub-forum to post to:

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Can the mod move the thread? Does this forum allow for that?

rachelsrachrach
January 18th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Yes, sorry Premiere Elements 8. :) My bad!

rachelsrachrach
January 18th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I've turned off background rendering, which has helped, but it's still crashing. :( What else can I do:

ATR
January 18th, 2010, 11:17 PM
rachelsrachrach

Two things to try. If that neither helps then start your own thread and we will continue in it.

a. Make sure that the AutoAnalyzer is shut off in the Elements Organizer via its Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer options.

b. Go to Control Panel/Display/Settings and navigate to Hardware Acceleration and move the slider (probably set at Full) to NONE.

Please let me know the outcome and we will move forward from there if still necessary.

ATR

ATR
January 18th, 2010, 11:22 PM
rachelsrachrach

Sorry about that. You are in your own thread. It was msmart's being helpful that got me confused at this late hour.

Stay where you are, no new thread. In the light of day everything will be clearer for us all.

ATR

rachelsrachrach
January 25th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I turned autoanalyzer off, which helped too. I started a new project the other day, and it hasn't crashed at all. My older projects, though, are still crashing (not as frequently as they used to, though), even though it's the same program and everything. I tried to do the hardware acceleration thing, but when I got to the final step right before you get the bar that shows full/none, I couldn't click the button. When I did, nothing happen---my computer didn't respond. Has that ever happened before?

ATR
January 25th, 2010, 10:55 AM
rachelsrachrach

Are all programs closed, and are you starting at the Desktop view?

Start
Control Panel
Display
Settings Tab (in the Settings Tab section is a button for Advanced...are you clicking that and not the Troubleshoot button to its left?)
After you click on the Settings Tab's Advanced button, that should bring up a bunch of tabs, including the Troubleshoot one that shows the Hardware Acceleration slider.
Do you get this far and can you now see the Hardware Acceleration slider? If so, in what position do you find it...None, Full, or somewhere in between? Is "Enable write combining" checked or unchecked there? Is it the Hardware Acceleration slider button that you cannot move even though you can see it?

I will comment further once I have further confirmation details.

ATR

rachelsrachrach
February 1st, 2010, 07:27 AM
Yes, I did (and retried) all of that. It gives me an error message that says, "Your current display driver does not allow changes to be made to hardware acceleration settings."

Also, I was wondering if my problem with my old video could be their format. My old videos are comprised of cheap Nikon digital camera clips that are still AVI but might have some slight formatting change (?). My newer videos have clips from a much nicer video camera with AVI formatting. Could that have something to do with it?

ATR
February 1st, 2010, 07:58 AM
rachelsrachrach

Let us explore the possible video format aspects of these issues.

First we need to know what kind of .avi that you have. DV AVI is the native format of the Premiere Elements Timeline, DV being the codec (compression type) and .avi being the wrapper format for that compression. Video files with the file extension of .avi can have a variety of other possibilities for compression....described as MotionJpeg.avi, AVI MPEG4, etc.

We could get the video format from the camcorder specifications if you list the brand and model of the camcorder. But, it would be very helpful if you would download the free utility called gspot which should give us the properties of your .avi files (old and new), including video codec, audio codec, etc.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

Also when you post the results from above, please give your computer's available RAM and free hard drive space.

To be continued....

ATR