PDA

View Full Version : Adobe premiere crashes (after using basic text)

marsimard
January 12th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Hi everyone,

I just installed Adobe premiere on my PC and it used to run (but very slowly). Yesterday, it started crashing everytime I would use a basic text on my video (which is just a still image). I defrag my hard drive, and it's still not working.

I'm currently running Vista, dual core, CPU T2310 @ 1.46GHz at 1.47GHz.
It's 32 bits, 2GB of RAM.

Where should I go from here? (thanks a lot in advance!)

MA

ATR
January 12th, 2010, 09:52 AM
marsimard

What version of Premiere Elements are you using?

How much of that 2 GB RAM installed is available? And, how much free hard drive space do you have on the C local drive and any external hard drive?

What exactly is the full content of the Timeline when you are creating a title for one still image? Video, source/format/duration? Photos, how many besides the one that you are working on and what is the pixel dimensions of the photo that you are working on as well as any other photos on the Timeline?

What video card are you using in your computer?

Important to know what version of Premiere Elements is involved.

I will be looking forward to your further details.

Thanks.

ATR

marsimard
January 12th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Hi ATR, thank you for your quick response.

I'm using version 8 of Elements Premiere.

I have 61.5 free GB on my C but I'm not sure where to check how much of my RAM is available.

On the timeline I only have one photo still that is being played for about 4 or 5 seconds. I tried reducing this picture to 80 by 60 pixels to see if this was my problem, but it still crashed with a file that small.

The video card I am using is a Mobile Intel (R) 965 Express Chipset Family and I am working on a Dell laptop dual core processors @ 1.46 GHz and 1.47 GHz.

Thanks again.

ATR
January 12th, 2010, 03:15 PM
marsimaid

When I mentioned photo pixel dimensions, I was thinking pixel dimension not to exceed 1000 x 750 pixels if your project preset (new project dialog) was set to NTSC Standard or Widescreen or the PAL counterpart. For now, let us stay with just one photo on the Timeline...1000 x 750 pixels is fine with the project preset that I mentioned above.

Let us now check for available RAM. I noted that you have Vista. The route in my Windows XP Professional should be similar. You want to get to System Information. My route is:
Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information.
In System Information I scroll down to:
Total Physical Memory
Available Physical Memory
Total Virtual Memory
Available Virtual Memory
Between those values and your 61.5 GB free hard drive space, that should give us a baseline for your computer resources.

If it comes to more installed RAM, can your computer motherboard accept 4 GB RAM total installed? IAt this point, I am not sure if that is the problem. I am just asking, just in case.

ATR

ATR
January 12th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Add On....

Did you say or did I ask, are your computer drivers updated?

ATR

marsimard
January 12th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks ATR, the route is quite similar.

So I have: 1.01 GB of available RAM
2.94 GB of total virtual memory
1.63 GB of available virtual memory

Also I think that it might be important to note that premiere only crashes when I add an overlay of text (from the limited use I have put on it). For example adding more pictures in my timeline or adding sound doesn't make it crash.

Also, yes my drivers are updated (I had not mentioned it though) and I'm not sure if I could add 4GB of RAM on my laptop, hopefully there will be an easier fix (but I could always figure it out).

Thanks again!

ATR
January 12th, 2010, 05:17 PM
marsimard

Your computer resources are not the greatest, but they should be enough to place a title (containing text) on video track 2 above a photo (1000 x 750 pixels or less) on video track 1.

What happens if you have two photos on the Timeline and try to place a transition between them? Does your computer system fail or crash?

Although you say that your video card drivers are updated, is it a consideration to double check that.
a. through Hardware/Device Manager/Display Adapters/your Mobile Intel 965..there should be a troubleshoot tab there from which you can check for updates and determine the status of the video card
b. through the Dell and/or Intel sites.

I have not found a specific link to Premiere Elements and your video card, but, when I do find your video card mentioned online, it seems to be associated with some problematic latest driver versions.

Have we gone through the check list?
1. Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer disabled
2. Under Control Panel/Display navigate to the Hardware Acceleration slider which is probably on Full and set it to NONE. See if that impacts the crashes. If not, then just go back and move the slider to FULL.
3. Checked to determine if system works better with or without "Enable GPU Playback" checked under Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

Please let me know what is happening with this current round of suggestions. I will continue to look for a similar problem/fix report for your issue.

ATR

marsimard
January 12th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Hello ATR,

No my computer does not crash when I have two pictures (or more) and transitions between them. I am even able to load a whole theme and do a quick video that is more than 3 minutes and it doesn't crash... but every time (without fault) that I click to add text, then the whole thing comes tumbling down.

I retried looking for updates from the card itself and Windows confirms that the drivers are up to date.

For the checklist:
1. Yes it is off.
2. My driver does not have a hardware accelerator slider.
3. It crashes at that point with GPU playback on or off.

Looking forward to your new ideas on the problem and thanks again!

marsimard

ATR
January 12th, 2010, 09:09 PM
marsimard

Two more questions:

1. To initiate the crash...
a. Are you hitting the T icon (Add Default Text) at the bottom right of the Edit Mode Monitor? If so, do you ever get to see the Titler with its toolbar and presenting the words "Add Text" on the Edit Mode Monitor?

b. Are you going to the Title Menu at the top of the interface, selecting "New Title", and then selecting one of the options: Default Still, Default Roll, or Default Crawl? If you have not tried this route, try it to see if this is a crash route also. Also, do you ever get to see the Titler with this route?

2. See if you can find Hardware Acceleration. Have you navigated (as per my Windows XP Pro)....
a. Control Panel
b. Display
c. Settings Tab. In the Settings area is an Advance Button. Click on that Advance Button.
d. Clicking on the Advance Button should get you another dialog box with a lot of tabs which include a Troubleshoot Tab.
e. Click on the Troubleshoot Tab which contains the Hardware Acceleration Slider. Typically it is pushed all the way to the right FULL. If it is there, move the slider all the way to the left to NONE. See if that helps the Title crash problem. If not, go back and move the slider to Full or wherever it was before you changed that setting.

I will keeping thinking on this.

ATR

ATR
January 12th, 2010, 09:50 PM
marsimard

I was just traveling around the Internet looking for Premiere Elements and its crashes related to creating titles (text). There seems to have been a lot with Premiere Elements 4.

Here are some links on Titles and Crashing Premiere Elements for you to check out. Looking for bad fonts seemed to be a popular approach. At this time I do not have any proof of cause in your case, just a gut feeling that the video card is at the heart of the matter.

In Premiere Elements 4
http://forums.adobe.com/message/1761549#1761549

In Premiere Elements 7
http://forums.adobe.com/message/1756765#1756765

Also,
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2094303#2094303

ATR

marsimard
January 12th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Hi ATR, thanks a lot for helping me with this.

To answer your two questions

1. Yes I tried both approaches and they both lead to a crash. In both cases I can see the titler with the toolbar and the words "Add text" but the software crashes soon after. Sometimes I have enough time to erase some of the default text "Add text" and sometimes I do not.

2. I can also follow your steps but when I get to the troubleshoot tab, I have a greyed out button "Modify Parameters" that I can't press. It also comes with the message that the current driver does not permit modifications of material acceleration parameters.

Thanks again,

marsimard

ATR
January 12th, 2010, 10:38 PM
marsimard

Thanks for the additional information.

Please try rule in or out that idea of a font problem. I will continue to think about the best next step.

ATR

marsimard
January 12th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks ATR,

I will work on the corrupted font lead and will keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks a lot and looking forward again to your new ideas.

marsimard

ATR
January 13th, 2010, 09:13 AM
marsimard

I will be watching for your progress.

The frustrating thing about this is that this appeared to be a long essentially unresolved issue back in the days of Premiere Elements 4. So, for it to be popping up in Premiere Elements 8 is disturbing.

But, we will not give up.

ATR

lustgarten
January 14th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Hi, you seem to have some knowledge of Premiere Elements and I wonder if you can offer some advice?

I have had a copy of Premiere Elements 7 for an age and I had real trouble using it on my old (but 3GHZ Pentium 4 XP system). I purchased an entirely new PC to edit HD video (MP4 and not full HD), and with this software just as with my previous XP system it crashes.

I now have a no frills quad core PC (Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz) running Windows 7, a GeForce 210 video card and a terabyte of RAM.

I was once trained to use professional Premiere so I have half an idea of what I'm doing and all I am trying to do now is edit home video and I am frankly tired of this software, especially as the errors and the crashes seem identical to the ones on my elderly XP system.

I have increased the paging file to 6GB, saved the files I'm trying to edit to an different drive to the cache (external USB), and all I get is memory problems, crashes and a refusal to render either to DVD or desktop.

I would really value some help.

ATR
January 14th, 2010, 03:44 PM
lustgarten

You really should start your own thread for your question rather than place at the end of another. Problems may have the same symptoms, but have different causes. So, how about deleting this one and starting your own so that your specific issues are highlighted.

I will be asking:
1. What is the source and format of the video that you are bringing into the Premiere Elements 7 Timeline? Camcorder Brand and Model? I have a strong feeling that you are dealing with AVCHD-Lite which has a .mp4 file extension and which can be a very problematic format for Premiere Elements. Frequent fixes are renaming just the file extension or format conversion before bringing the video into Premiere Elements. Please put your source video through the free utility called gspot so we can see what we are dealing with.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

2. As for computer resources...is your Windows 7, 32 bit or 64 bit with that 1 terabyte of installed RAM. How much free hard drive space does your computer have? Defragmented frequently? Premiere Elements 7 is a 32 bit application that runs in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system and as such is subjected to the limitations of a 64 bit system. Keep that in mind. At this time, what does your System Information give you for available RAM and free hard drive when you are running Premiere Elements 7 (See Task Manager Performance)?

Right now I suspect that it is your video format that is creating most of the problems. Besides the source and formation, what is the duration of the Timeline content?

To be continued....to your new thread after you delete your entry here.

ATR

marsimard
January 14th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Hi ATR,

Good news, my problem has been fixed! The crash was indeed related to fonts that were either incompatible or corrupted. I followed the advice found here http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=5428 and simply deleted the fonts and the stylus in the Adobe program. This fixed my problem with the Titler and I can now use Adobe premiere.

Thanks again for all your help and your quick responses to my updates. Your advice was very valuable and helpful.

Cheers!

Marsimard

ATR
January 14th, 2010, 04:47 PM
marsimard

I am very happy to learn of your good news.

Corrupted font troubleshooting for issues such as you presented can be frequently seen online, so it looked like a good candidate to include in our troubleshooting of your specific issue.

But, as I always say, problems may have the same symptoms, but different causes. That is what makes matters so challenging.

Continued success and keep up the good work.

ATR

DionHDP
February 8th, 2012, 06:19 AM
I have the same problem. I just upgraded RAM to 6GB 2ddr (max capacity is 8GB) I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit (fresh install less than 2 weeks old) with 1GB ddr3 nVidia EVGA GT 430 Video Card (new also). No other Applications running ( besides Norton Antivirus from Comcast)

I have used other (cheaper) editors and never had an issue, however just got Premier Elements 10 and anytime I try to add text it is a 15 minute affair or the application crashes altogether:mad:. Also have severe lag on clips when applying stabilization. Transitions work fine and so far any color/contrast edits work without a hitch. The rendering is fairly quick even on HD format. But it cannot handle Text overlays?!? I dont get it:confused:. Any help is appreciated. I use this software for my small business so I can work from home, but this is a big time killer.

ATR
February 8th, 2012, 07:54 AM
DionHDP

Please start your own new thread on your specific issue rather than tack on to an older thread.

We will be watching for the new thread and will immediately get to work working through the details specific to your situation.

As I always write...
Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes
and
The answers are in the details.

Thanks.

ATR

DionHDP
February 8th, 2012, 06:17 PM
I called support today. Very helpful.

Had to rename a folder 10.0 to 10.0old. Problem solved.

ATR
February 8th, 2012, 07:20 PM
DionHDP

Thanks for the follow up.

We are glad that you found resolution to your problem from Adobe Technical Support.

As I said, problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes and remedies.

You said that your problem resolution involved:
Had to rename a folder 10.0 to 10.0old. Problem solved. As I also wrote, the answers are in the details. There is more than one 10.0 Folder in Premiere Elements 10.0. Did the Adobe Tech representative have you delete (in this case, rename) the 10.0 Folder found via the following route:
Local C Drive
Users
Owner
AppData
Roaming
Adobe
Premiere Elements
10.0 (THE 10.0 Folder)
Is this the 10.0 Folder that you renamed 10.0old?

When you did this, a new 10.0 Folder (with its content) was regenerated when you opened Premiere Elements. One of the components of this folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. Typically it is recommended that this file be deleted to troubleshoot general unexpected/unexplained problems AND not the specific select text issue that you presented. Did you or the Adobe Tech have you delete just this file rather than the whole 10.0 Folder?

The above requested details will make your follow up more meaningful...continued success with your projects.

Thanks.

ATR