PDA

View Full Version : Lost Project!!

Tweek989
January 9th, 2010, 01:57 AM
hey there
im using adobe premiere elements 3.0
i have just recently formated my computer, i did save all of the footage and saved files for adobe premiere 3.0.
however now when i want to open my projects it ask me where the files are. i know where they all are but my project is quite big and i dont want to find each piece of footage and audio file in order to fix the problem.
is there any way i can just get adobe to automatically find the files and match them to the project?

thanks

Wendy
January 9th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Hi Tweek989 ..

... and welcome to the Village :)

I'll transfer your message over to the Premiere Elements section as I think you will get more replies if it is in there.

Wendy :)

Tweek989
January 9th, 2010, 03:20 AM

ATR
January 9th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Tweek989

Correcting the issue via the Missing File Message(s) that you get is your best approach. With each message, you can ask the program to find a given photo, and, if it cannot, you need to do it manually. There is no reconnect all missing media button.

i did save all of the footage and saved files for adobe premiere 3.0.

I am not sure just how you went about the saving process that you described. If you move the location of the source media of a project after you have saved/closed/reopened the project, you will run into some nasty media reconnect issues. Did you plan ahead? Did you look into and use the Premiere Elements Project Archiver (Archiver or Copy options) to avoid this type of situation?

Please let us know the outcome.

ATR

Tweek989
January 9th, 2010, 11:16 PM
hey there
i guess that is my only option then is it?
i nwas away for a year and when i came back i found my computer was running very slowly so i did back up all of my footage and saved information of adobe premiere elements and then i re formatted the computer. however i didnt do the project archiver though:( i guess thats where i went wrong
so do you suggest just matching each pice of footage to my saved timeline project manualy then?

thanks

ATR
January 10th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Tweek989

I would suggest that you first give the Missing Media Message dialog a try at finding the missing file. If it fails to do so, then you need to do it manually since you know exactly where the source files are now located.

Please let me know how that turns out.

I do not remember at this time...did Premiere Elements 3 come with its own Organizer? My recollection is that an Organizer in Premiere Elements started with version 4. But, if my memory is dusty on this and there is an Organizer in Premiere Elements 3, then you will need also to take care of updating the thumbnails in the Organizer.

Looking forward to learning of your results.

ATR

Tweek989
January 10th, 2010, 02:26 AM
hey there i gave it ago and the missing file dialog box came up and it worked on the first piece of footage but after that i couldnt locate the rest cause the file it nasked for was just a series of random letters and numbers and when i searched for them it couldnt locate the files and i also used the windows search window for it.
the first file looked normal as it said "split Second 63.avi"
but the ones after that simply said stuff like "0e35-3hn304yu" etc.

thanks

Tweek

ATR
January 10th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Tweek

When files were brought into the original project (before saving), were the files on an external hard drive? If so, after saving the project and everything else before the computer format, were they still on that external hard drive?

Another if so, could the external hard drive letter have changed (before after computer format)?

Bottom line: where were the project.prel and photos saved before the format, where did you save them during the format, and what was their intended location after the format?

Even if you cannot connect the source photos to the project.prel at this moment, can you still see them in their present hard drive location? If so, just try to them reconnect via the message whatever they are called. Does that work at all???

ATR

Tweek989
January 10th, 2010, 11:22 PM
hey there
when i first imported the files into premiere before saving they wherent on a external but they were stored on a second internal hardrive that i have
i run the program on my main C drive and put all my raw video on a second D drive.
when i formatted i stored all my raw footage and all of my saved adobe premiere elements projects on an externa hardrive
after it was formatted i put all of the video back in the same place on my D Drive, intalled premiere elements again and tried opening one of my projects. when it opens the missing file window opens.
i had a look at the timeline and it all the edited timeline footage cant be located and it just shows red and black adobe credits to replace each clip.
i tried using the missing file window and the first file it asks for is ok and i cant find it, but all the files it asks for later dont corrispond with any files i have....and it doesnt actualy look like any normal file or something
as i said the first file it asks for is something like "split Second 63.avi" , all of my raw footage files are are named " Split Second (Number).avi) cause i ued the adobe premiere importer when i took it off my camera.
so i can mach up the first file easily but all the othe files it asks fo after that read something like this "03e24b46-d569t etc etc" and i cant locate them at all.
so all i can think of doing now is writing down each clip name from my timeline and then importing the and cuting them all over again. essentially il be diting the movie all over again lol.
so i hope there is another option.

thanks for all your help

Tweek

ATR
January 11th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Tweek989

Thanks for the additional information.

When you get a chance, please let us now how you are progressing.

ATR

Tweek989
January 11th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Any other advice you could think of concerning the file missing window and the wierd file names it asks for?

Tweek

ATR
January 11th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Tweek

I will think on this some more tomorrow.

Just a quick question. Do any of these mysterious files have a file extension of .mcdb in the file name? Any cfa or pek in there also as file extensions?

ATR

Tweek989
January 11th, 2010, 04:35 AM
wow thats wierd i just went into premiere to check up on that for you and now the missing file window is working proprly its asking for the files that i DO have

hmmmmm funny
but lucky

:D

Thanks for all your help ATR!!!!!

Tweek989

ATR
January 11th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Tweek989

That is strange, but interesting and welcomed news.

I will be watching to see if you can now get that project moving forward.

ATR

Tweek989
January 11th, 2010, 11:54 PM
ill get onto it as soon as i have the chance
once again thanks

Tweek

Tweek989
January 12th, 2010, 12:43 AM
hey there
i managed to find all the files for the project now
it was easier then expected as i only matched a few files using the missing file window and then i just went skip all. and somehow the program actually automatically remateched all the other files. i guess once i had showed it where all the files where it could then match it automatically
so now my project is fixed:D

dont wanna be constantly askig you heaps of questions and all but now that that has been done i started another project and as i was uploading the media a window popped up saying "Adobe Premiere Elements is runnig very low on system memory. Please save and proceed with caution"
this never appeard before and as far as i know my computer should be running faster not slower. so any way i save it and eventually the program just crashes. every time.
i have 2 gb ram and i still have aprox 70gb space left on my hardrive that has all the footage and 24gb space on the hardrive running premiere.
do you know what the problem is

thanks so much

Tweek

ATR
January 12th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Tweek

I was very happy to learn of your success in recovering all your project's media after reformating your computer. Great job.

With regard to the low memory messages, the video format as well as actual low computer resources could be the cause of those messages. So,

a. what is the source, format, and duration of the video on the Timeline (I am looking for video codec, not just file extension = .avi or something else.
The free utility gspot should help to gives the properties of the video:
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

b. how many photos are on that Timeline and what is the pixel dimensions of each

c. how much of the 2 GB RAM is available; did you say if your computer operating system is 32 or 64 bit?; the 24 GB free C local drive space could be factoring into this; have you used the Task Manager Performance to evaluate your computer memory situation? How is the virtual memory setup?

Let us start with the video format and see where that leads us.

ATR

Tweek989
January 12th, 2010, 11:13 PM
wow there was alot of stuff i didnt understand there lol
not to sure how to check the available ram and how many bit my operating system is lol
but any way i downloaded gspot and the files im trying to import are avi v1.0.it sais no codec required.
is that what you wanted?

now i havnt added it to my timeline yet so i dont know how long it is, cause im only half way through importing it inot premiere. but all the footage is about 6.5 gb. its off a digital camera so the quality is really bad and small
im not using any images though

thanks

Tweek

ATR
January 13th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Tweek

I will be back early tomorrow morning to fill in some details and ask you a lot more questions.

I am determined to iron out all those wrinkles. You are on a winning streak, and I do not want you to lose your momentum.

ATR

Tweek989
January 13th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Thank you so much dude:D

Tweek