PDA

View Full Version : Changing aspect ratio

Crockett
January 7th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I've just bought Adobe Premiere Elements 8 and put a video I took on uTube. When I put it on uTube the aspect ratio was wrong. I've been to the help pages and couldn't find my answer -- then I've been playing around with the program and still can't figure it out so --
How do I change the aspect ratio of my video before I put it on uTube?

Thanks,
Crockett

ATR
January 7th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Crochett

What was the source and format of the video that you put on the Premiere Elements 8 Timeline and what was the project preset (new project dialog) that you set before the workspace opened?

Under Share/Online/YouTube what preset did you use?

The answers to those questions should get us in the right direction.

I will look forward to your responses.

ATR

Crockett
January 7th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I downloaded the video from my video camera and saved it on my hard drive. It appears to be in "MOD" format which I've never heard of. I don't know what a "project preset" is!

I also don't know what you mean by "Share/Online/YouTube". Sorry but I'm absolutely new at video editing -- so I guess you're going to have to lead me by the hand.

Thanks,
Crockett

ATR
January 7th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Crockett

I've just bought Adobe Premiere Elements 8 and put a video I took on uTube. When I put it on uTube the aspect ratio was wrong.

In view of what you wrote and the continuity of it,

a. How did you upload your video to YouTube and what did Premiere Elements 8 have to do with this upload?

b. MOD files are bad news for Premiere Elements. And, if you are telling me that aspect ratios are involved in your problem, I have a feeling that JVC MOD widescreen is in this mix. Please tell me that I am wrong and that you are working with standard, not widescreen.

So basically what I need to know is the path that your video followed once transferred out of the camera
a. camera brand and model, recording setting standard or widescreen
b. how did you transfer the video from the camera and how and to where did you transfer it
c. if you imported it into Premiere Elements, when you open the program you get to a new project dialog before the workspace opens. You need to select a preset there that matches the properties of your video. So, what did you have set there? Assuming that the video was edited in Premiere Elements and, if you did not send it directly to YouTube from Premiere Elements, how did you export (format and settings) the video from Premiere Elements?
d. How did you get the video to YouTube?

Let us see if we can set a baseline of details and take it from there. If there is anything in what I just wrote that you need clarification on, do not hesitate to tell me. We need to set a firm baseline on which to proceed. Depending on how things go, we may have to call into use the program SDCopy to take care of renaming the .mod as well as giving it a 16:9 flag to get that aspect ratio correction. (Often easier said than done, however).

To be continued....

ATR

BertAerts
January 8th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I have a JVC Everio hard disk camcorder that saves video mpeg2 files with .mod file extension. If you use 16:9 widescreen, this information is not added in the .mod file but in the .moi file. When you try to use the .mod file in Adobe Premiere Elements, you can't get the widescreen right.

I use the tool SDcopy to set the widescreen flag in my .mod file and rename it to .mpg file. After this special update, I can use the .mpg file without issues in Adobe Premiere Elements 8.

SDcopy can be found on http://camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t132937.html
Make sure you check the last page to find the latest version.

ATR
January 8th, 2010, 09:51 AM
BertAerts

Thanks for the SD Copy information related to use of mod video in Premiere Elements.

Please confirm that, according to the link that you posted,
a. The download link to the latest (Nov. 2009) version of SD Copy is found in post #92 of the thread that you targeted
b. As of today 01/08/2010, the current version that you used successfully is "SD Copy Version 1.9998 beta"

Thanks.

ATR

BertAerts
January 8th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Hi ATR,

You are absolutely right.
That is the version I have been using successfully.

BertAerts

ATR
January 8th, 2010, 03:34 PM
BertAerts

Thanks for the confirmation.

That is a major contribution since there are many Premiere Elements - mod widescreen - aspect ratio concerns.

ATR