PDA

View Full Version : Editing Frame size on export issue...

MichaelQ
January 7th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Greetings all, new forum member and new premier elements 8 user as well. Having a challenge with editing frame size. I understand it can not be changed when starting a new project, but only in the sharing/export.

Problem I am having . . . my source video is 480 x 270. The only export format that seems to allow me to change frame size (not grayed-out) is wmv. But when I change the frame size and export, it reduces the size of the entire contents of the monitor panel, resulting in a letterbox instead of the video content filling the entire frame. I've included a screenshot to further illustrate.

Any feedback on how to resolve this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://insidecb.net/cbnow/images/2010-01-07_0747.png

ATR
January 7th, 2010, 01:04 PM
MichaelQ

You import your 480 x 270 (16:9) video into Premiere Element 8.
There is no project preset (new project dialog) = 480 x 270. The project preset acts as a template for editing purposes when you get to the Timeline and the Edit Mode Monitor. What are you setting for the project preset? Have you looked at NTSC DV Widescreen (720 x 480 4:3 with a 16:9 flag for display after encoding)?

When you get into the workspace, are you working with Edit Menu/Preferences/General "Default Scale to Frame Size" checked or unchecked? If you have that option checked, what you see in the Edit Mode Monitor will be scaled to the format properties of the project preset. If you do not, you could always scale the video to the template provided by the project preset, using Properties Palette, Motion Panel, Scale property.

Do you want to maintain the frame size of 480 x 270 throughout or are you wanting to change the frame for export? If so, from 480 x 270 to what? By the way, what is the frame rate involved in this?

Let us start here.

ATR

MichaelQ
January 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Thank you ATR for the prompt reply. When I began the new project, I selected the project setting NTSC-DV-Widescreen 48kHz.

http://insidecb.net/cbnow/images/ev_temp1.gif

Is this what you referred to when you wrote: "Have you looked at NTSC DV Widescreen (720 x 480 4:3 with a 16:9 flag for display after encoding)?"

I don't see on the new project available presets a reference to 4:3 with a 16:9 flag.

Regarding "Default Scale to Frame Size" - this was very helpful. I had read that is another post but was looking for it under Edit|Proj Settings|General instead of the Preferences, so thank you for that. I now have it checked.

Finally, in this case yes, I do wish to maintain 480 x 270 throughout and kept the frame rate at the preset default of 29.97.

When exporting, it appears that the only formats that permit editing the frame size is Flash Video, Windows Media, and QuickTime, but not MPEG, is this correct?

ATR
January 8th, 2010, 11:22 AM
MichaelQ

1. When you select the project preset NTSC DV Widescreen, the following information in the Description to the right of the Setup dialog tells you 4:3 with 16:9 flag

Frame Size: 720 x 480, that is 4:3
Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121), that is related to the 16:9 flag

2. Take a closer look under the Advance Button of those export choices. When you want to change the frame size and it is "resisting", you can click on the link icon to the immediate right of the width/height spots to unlink width and height, and then enter your values. So, you should be able to set your values OK for other than Flash.

Please let me know if any of that helped.

ATR

ATR
January 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM
MichaelQ

Forgot to ask, do you have a player that will display your 480 x 270 as wanted? Or, is this going into an iphone or something like that?

ATR

MichaelQ
January 8th, 2010, 11:40 AM
This will be posted to a video sharing site (I use Phanfare) and then embedded into a webpage.

ATR
January 8th, 2010, 11:50 AM
MichaelQ

I have something for you to consider with regard to your Premiere Elements 8 export:

Share/Mobile Phones and Players
Apple iPod and iPhone
with preset = iPod and iPhone - High Quality
under Advance button: change frame size to 480 x 270
The resulting file will have a file extension of .mp4 and has video codec = MainConcept H.264 Video.

It plays back great on computer regular QuickTime...I do not have an iPhone or iPod.

ATR

MichaelQ
January 8th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks again, ATR. Very helpful. Working now on another file, this time the source is 640x480 so it's a little more straightforward.

ATR
January 8th, 2010, 01:05 PM
MichaelQ

Sounds like progress.

I will be looking forward to learning of your results.

Thanks for the feedback.

ATR