PDA

View Full Version : Premiere Elements 7 is always adding clips to new tracks

Macadameane
January 5th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I just installed 7 and have it working. Whenever I drag a clip from the organizer it ALWAYS adds it as a new track.

My default tracks are as you would expect. The "outline" of the clip will only appear at the top near the ruler no matter where it is dragged.

How can I fix this? (Also, once added as a new track, it cannot be dragged to any track lower than its original position, but it can be dragged to a higher track.)

EDIT: If I separate the video and audio tracks, 7 will let me move the video track down, but not the audio track.

ATR
January 5th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Macadameane

1. What is the source and video and audio format of the video that you are importing into Premiere Elements 7? Is the audio 5.1 channel sound? What is the brand, model, and setting of the camcorder that recorded that video?

2. What is the Premiere Elements 7 project preset (new project dialog) that you are setting when the program opens and before the workspace opens?

Your issue has all the symptoms of a problem related to the way Premiere Elements 7 handles 5.1 channel sound. But, let us see my your answers.

ATR

Macadameane
January 5th, 2010, 01:02 PM
My camcorder is a Sony HDR-SR5 (But the video clip is not HD or AVCHD.) More specifically, the camera is set at "SD 6M(SP)". I believe the audio is dolby 5.1. I was using PE4 before this and had no problems with this type of video. The video is widescreen SD (NTSC). The preset is "NTSC-Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders-Widescreen 48kHz".

ATR
January 5th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Macadameane

For the video that you describe, your Premiere Elements 7 project preset appears correct for video recorded to a camcorder hard drive as MPEG2 and for obtaining the correct Premiere Elements editing template in the Edit Mode Monitor. I am understanding your camcorder setting as SD Widescreen 16:9, not HDV.

When you are dealing with video (non AVCHD) whose audio is 5.1 channel AND Premiere Elements 7 with the project preset which will supply the appropriate editing template, you will end up with the linked video and audio on the upper tracks in the Timeline. If you switched to the Sceneline, you would not see any video at all in the scene spaces of the Sceneline Filmstrip. Please take a look at the following 2008 very long and detailed thread on the topic:
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41156&highlight=MPEG2&page=6

You have these considerations:
a. record with 2 channel sound (Stereo) instead of 5.1 channel (not always possible since you may not be able to do that as per Sony's design)
b. convert the MPEG2 5.1 channel to DV AVI with a converter software
c. adjust to the situation of working from the Premiere Elements 7 tracks with the Premiere Elements 7 project preset that you have selected
d. upgrade to Premiere Elements 8 which does not have this problem

Keep in mind, that, although you can import 5.1 channel sound, there is no export for it under burn to disc (either DVD or BluRay), just Stereo.

I have another possibility to look into based on some recent workarounds reported by Drew in another thread on another matter. I will report back on that later. But, at this point, I see that the latter probably comes with some negative baggage.

ATR

ATR
January 5th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Add on....

If you were working with AVCHD, instead of MPEG2, and 5.1 channel sound, you could correct the problem by using the project preset NTSC Full or Non Full HD1080i30 5.1 channel.

ATR