PDA

View Full Version : Premier Elements 8 Crashes.

RDavies
January 5th, 2010, 06:44 AM
When "recording narration" is started the whole Adobe system aborts ?
Any ideas please.

Wendy
January 5th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Hi RDavies ..

... and welcome to the Village :)

I'll transfer your message over to the Premiere Elements section as you will get more replies if it is in there.

Wendy

ATR
January 5th, 2010, 09:43 AM
RDavies

Ideas need details.

Premiere Elements 8 crashing reports have been numerous, many cases resolvable. Is you issue specific to Narration or is crashing a frequent happening with other operations in your computer environment?

Lots of questions:
(a) Have you disabled Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features?
(b) What is the project preset (new project dialog) set at and what is the source, format, and duration of the Timeline when the crash occurs?
(c) Is the crash specific to creating narration? What is the brand, model, type of microphone are you using?

Let us start here and see where that takes us.

ATR

pschettek
January 19th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Premier disapears when I hit the red button.
Have The Snowball mic. connected by USB.
Works fine in Vista.
Premier 8 finds it in "properties.
When in the add narration box the volume indicator reacts to my voice.
However when I click on the mic. icon (upper right) the drop down menue does not appear to let me select the mic.

Does Premier 8 work with USB mics.??
pschettek

ATR
January 19th, 2010, 09:57 AM
pschettek

From my experiences and reading (see product Read Me File), none of the versions of Premiere Elements have worked with USB microphones.

Can you try out one of those desktop microphones which have the plug into computer jack connection?

There could be other causes, but, because of Premiere Elements history with USB microphones and narration, that factor has to be ruled in or out at the onset.

I will be watching for your progress.

ATR

pschettek
January 19th, 2010, 02:11 PM
My work around when at home is to use the usb mic. to record into Vista's little sound program in Appliences. Import the wav file from the hard drive. It goes onto a second audio track. (not the narration track) but works fine.
When out in the field and have more narration to add to a clip after the fact I just talk into the camcorder. Load that clip into Premier as an audio only. Then jockey it around on another track.
It is amazing to me that the great Adobe would not correct this problem. They dodge the issue in their "Classroom in a book" publication on Premier elements. Chris Grover in "Premier Elements 8 the missing manual" has not figured this out and suggests using the "Snowball"" mic in his book.
I really want to use Elements 8. Find it a little fragle at times. If I get impatient and click twice on an item instead of once it will crash the program.
One last question I do not use the Auto analyzer and background rendering, should I disable them? You seem to suggest that for most problems about crashes.
pschettek

ATR
January 19th, 2010, 06:28 PM
pschettek

Definitely disable Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features and use on a command basis only. They grab a lot of the resources when enabled. You should see a marked improvement in the program performance with them disabled and used on a command basis.

The other possible prescription for crashes is taking the Hardware Acceleration to NONE in Control Panel/Display/Settings.

I have not read the Chris Grover book. I can take a look at it later this week. But if you could put in your own words...how is he using that Snowball microphone since, from what I have read, it is USB. I use an inexpensive desktop microphone Labtec (computer jack type, not USB) and get great narration results. Audio enhancement programs that are very good are Camtasia Studio 6 (not free) and Audacity (free).

Thanks for the follow up. When you get a chance, please update us on your progress.

ATR

ATR
January 19th, 2010, 06:44 PM
RDavies

Sorry about that. I just realized that you, not pschettek, had started this thread. I just had a nice discussion with pschettek, but we have not heard from you yet.

We care about what is happening in your specific situation also, so I wanted you to know that we are looking forward to further details from you even if you have solved your problems from what you have read here so far.

To be continued

ATR

wyowindworks
February 11th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Here is a work around when using USB mics. In the audio hardware preferences, select both your USB mic and your standard line in mic (but don't plug it in). For some reason checking both resolved the crashing issue when narration is started.

The other issue is that USB mics are mono. If you want your narration to be on both channels (right & left) apply the audio effect "Fill Left" to your narration clip.

This worked for me anyway.

Adam

ATR
February 11th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Adam

Please see my comments to you in your own thread that you have just posted.
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55286

Your workaround definitely needs a closer look since it goes against what so many have found as you have read in this thread and elsewhere.

ATR