PDA

View Full Version : Project keeps crashing

Disneyzell
January 3rd, 2010, 04:50 PM
don't know if you are around ATR...but here is a interesting one.

I have a project I've been working on and off with for the past few weeks. It's always been fine. But today when I tried to open it (I was working in PE7, so that's what I used), when I do anything in the project PE crashes. If I move a clip slightly it crashes. If I click on anything it crashes. Very strange.

So I opened it in PE8 in hopes that it might be ok there...no luck, same issue.

Computer specs:

Here are my computer specs:
Dell Studio XPS 8000
Intel Core I7-860 processor
8GB memory
1 TB hdd
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GTS240 graphics

my project setting is DVNTSC.

ever hear of this type of problem? I've rebooted mutliple times...and tried everything else I can think of. I WAS able to burn the project out to DVD which, but when I bring it back in that way it looks like crap.

thoughts?

thanks!

Drew

ATR
January 3rd, 2010, 05:33 PM
Drew

I have your "do not rush" inquires piled neatly ready for action, but am always on the verge of getting to them. I just saw recent post of about an hour ago.

The big question is, if you open a new project in either Premiere Elements 7 or 8, does the project crash after x amount of time? Depending on your answer, it may be time for a massive clean/optimization of the computer. Just clearing out those scratch files in the Adobe Folder (on or off the local drive) often does the job...defragmenting, and so on.

I do not recall if we have been done this road before, but you need to be careful editing a project.prel from an earlier version in a later version. The party line is that, once you do, you cannot go back and edit that project prel in the earlier version from whence it came.

We could evoke the damaged project syndrome. Have you seen the Troubleshoot Damaged Project (Adobe Premiere Elements 7)
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404999.html

If the computer clean up has no impact, I look at first at deleting the preferences as described in the link. However, a more systematic approach to troubleshooting usually pays off.

How big is this problem project? Can you salvage any part of it via one of the AutoSaves in the Adobe Folder?

Please let me know what is happening as I think about this some more and try to dot the i's and cross the t's on your do not rush inquires.

To be continued.....

ATR

Disneyzell
January 3rd, 2010, 05:55 PM
Now I have opened it with PE8, but to that point I had not because last time I worked on it was before PE8. I was able to get it to work a little bit by ripping it off of DVD and choosing to deinterlace it. It looks a bit strange, but will probably work for this project. Tomorrow I'll try your suggestions and see if that allows me to open it.

The weird thing was that it would crash in either version. That was what was strange to me.

Thanks for all your time, just sit tight on this one for now. thanks!

Editing: I didn't even think about going to the auto save files. Normally they are so far behind that it doesn't help me. but in this case it did. I'm cruising now. Thanks. Sometime I have another "no hurry" on the answer question which I'll post eventually...but let me know if I'm driving you insane. Thanks!

Drew

ATR
January 3rd, 2010, 06:39 PM
Drew

It snowed here last night and this morning. That is what really gets to me. That snow removal is something else.

Your questions are interesting and challenging. I am also very involved in family treeing (genealogy, not gardening), so if you get a genealogy response instead of a video editing response, then you will know that I went off the deep edge.

I am looking forward to our discussions on 5.1 channel, Premiere Elements 7 and 8.

ATR