PDA

View Full Version : No Audio from m2ts in Premiere 7

DHan
January 3rd, 2010, 08:00 AM
Hi,

I have surfed the web looking for a solution and decided to post here since the problem still exists:

Problem:
No audio from m2ts video (captured by Sony HDR CX520E) in Premiere Elements 7. The video was captured with 5.1 audio.

What I have Tried:
a) Ensure the project setting are correct. Example, PAL AVCHD Full HD 1080i 25 5.1. I have tried all the project setting and the problem still exists.

b) Download m2ts sample from the web but same problem exists.

c) Re-recording with stereo audio but the result in Premiere is the same - no audio

d) Playing other file format such as mpg or avi and the audio was present

System Configuration:
Sony VAIO z series + Windows 7 Pro 64 bit + OEM Adobe Premiere Element 7

I read about converting m2ts to other file format and perform editing in Premiere. However I hope to avoid this process and therefore any help and advice on my problem will be great. Thanks.

Cheers
DHan

ATR
January 3rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
DHan

Did you check the Premiere Elements 7 ASIO settings under Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware?

ATR

DHan
January 3rd, 2010, 08:32 AM
Yes, I have done that and it shows my current audio hardware. -Realtek High Definition Audio

Cheers
DHan

ATR
January 3rd, 2010, 09:07 AM
DHan

You probably have, but I will ask anyway.

Have you updated your audio driver?

ATR

ATR
January 3rd, 2010, 09:36 AM
DHan

Just some miscellaneous as I think about this some more

a. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed? What version of Window Media Player do you have installed? And, what other players do you have installed on your computer?

b. Could you download the free utility called gspot
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html
and run your .m2ts through it and let me know the details for audio as well as video codecs, especially the space for indicating codecs not installed, installed, not determined.

c. Please describe the capture process that you use for getting the .m2ts into Premiere Elements 7.

d. Before you bring your video into Premiere Elements 7, while it is still in its save location on the hard drive, change the file extension from .m2ts to .m2t and then bring the .m2t version into Premiere Elements 7 Get Media/Files and Folders and see what happens.

To be continued....

ATR

DHan
January 3rd, 2010, 11:29 AM
Hi ATR,

Ya, I have done both Windows and VAIO update to ensure all the drivers/software are updated. So I assumed the audio drivers are also updated.

With regards to your questions:

a) I am using QuickTime 7.6.5 and Windows Media Player 12.0.7600.16415. I will try my best to list the players installed since the system has a number of preload softare, so far it has iTunes.

b) Please see screenshot below on the result from GSpot. Running this tool surface an interesting result or 'error', which you can see under the "Proposed Codec Solutions and Test" - "Rendering failed. Following is error reported by DirectShow. 0x80040265: [unknown]". I have done a quick DxDiag (DirectX Diagnostic Tools) and it reported no problem found. I will try to find out more about this error after I finished this posting :confused:

In case the screenshot is not clear, the information under container is
File Type: MPEG-2 Transport Stream
Mime Type: video/mp2t

c) The process to get the file to Permiere is as follows - I used the sony picture motion browser to download the video from the camcorder to the computer. The download process will create .m2ts files. For editing, I will next launch Premiere and the selecting "New Project". Since the video was captured in AVCHD with 5.1, the project setting that I choose is "PAL-AVCHD-Full HD 1080i 25 5.1 channel". Next I will go to the EDIT tab, right click in the work area and select "Get Media from"->"PC Files and Folders". I will then select the m2ts file that I want to edit. The video will be displayed but no audio when I played it.

d) I have followed your instruction to rename the extension from .m2ts to .m2t and the result is the same - The video can be played but missing audio.

Cheers
Douglas Han

ATR
January 3rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
DHan

I was disappointed that gspot did not fill in the information for Audio Codec, but...

I will look into this further and will be interested in the details of your gspot error report.

Is it possible to download the camcorder recording to the computer hard drive without going through the software that came with the camcorder?

Another thing that I would like you to try. In the Adobe Folder (default location = My Documents/Adobe Folder/Premiere Element 8.0), there should be a Media Cache Folder which contains all (and there are a lot) the conformed audio files (cfa/pek sets). Delete the Media Cache Folder and all its contents. When you open/close Premiere Elements 8, the Media Cache Folder will be regenerated and audio conformed anew as needed. Let us see if that helps.

Also, please confirm for me the following detail. When you say that you have no Premiere Elements 8 audio for .m2ts files that are recorded with 5.1 channel sound, do you mean
a. that the Timeline shows video track 1 with content, but no content on audio track 1 and no sound during Edit Mode Monitor Playback
b. that the Timeline shows video 1 with content and you see an audio file (with waves) on audio 1, but cannot hear the audio during Edit Mode Monitor Playback

Also, please take a look under Hardware/Device Manager/Sound Video Game Controllers and your specific audio driver to see if you can confirm that your audio driver is updated via that route.

To be continued....

ATR

DHan
January 3rd, 2010, 12:36 PM
Hi ATR,

Please note that I am using Premiere Elements 7 and not 8.

In Premiere 7, what I am getting is (a) that the Timeline shows video track 1 with content, but no content on audio track 1 and no sound during Edit Mode Monitor Playback.

I will check on the audio driver again as advised. - [Updates] I have just checked and confirmed the drivers are updated.

Cheers
Douglas Han

ATR
January 3rd, 2010, 03:00 PM
DHan

Sorry about the 8 instead of 7. Same holds for 7.

Could you try deleting the Media Cache Folder in the Adobe Folder for Premiere Elements 7?

Also, could you try some more file extension name changes? This time from .m2ts to .avi; .m2ts to .mts; .m2ts to .ts?

Also, earlier you wrote that you tried
b) Download m2ts sample from the web but same problem exists.
Did this .m2ts have 5.1 channel sound or stereo?
I am not sure if it matters since I recall you saying that you imported your .m2ts with stereo as well as the 5.1 channel and got no audio content for either.

You mentioned that you are working with Sony Vaio and an OEM version of Premiere Elements 7. For troubleshooting purposes, would you consider downloading the free 30 tryout of Premiere Elements 8 to determine if you have the same issue in your Sony Vaio computer environment. Still in the back of my mind, those Premiere Elements Audio Hardware ASIO settings keep popping up.

For now for troubleshooting purposes, you could try converting your AVCHD 1920 x 1080 to MPEG2 1920 x 1080 and find out if you have the same audio issues with the MPEG2 version. See free Koyote Soft HD Converter. http://www.koyotesoft.com.

To be continued....

ATR

Add on....did you ever say what your computer system resources look like?

DHan
January 3rd, 2010, 10:53 PM
Hi ATR,

DHan
Could you try deleting the Media Cache Folder in the Adobe Folder for Premiere Elements 7?

I have tried but still no audio.

DHan
Also, could you try some more file extension name changes? This time from .m2ts to .avi; .m2ts to .mts; .m2ts to .ts?

I forget to mention this in my 1st posting that I have tired and didnt work for .m2ts to .mts

However, the audio can be heard when i rename to .avi and looking at the timeline, the audio is in audio tack 4 and video in video 4. However I noticed that the playback is very jerky.

When I rename to .ts, I got the error "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed" when I add media.

DHan
Also, earlier you wrote that you tried

Did this .m2ts have 5.1 channel sound or stereo?
I am not sure if it matters since I recall you saying that you imported your .m2ts with stereo as well as the 5.1 channel and got no audio content for either.

No information stated about the sample if it is 5.1 channel or stereo. Ya, i have tried importing my .m2ts with stereo and 5. channel and both didnt have audio in Premiere

DHan
You mentioned that you are working with Sony Vaio and an OEM version of Premiere Elements 7. For troubleshooting purposes, would you consider downloading the free 30 tryout of Premiere Elements 8 to determine if you have the same issue in your Sony Vaio computer environment. Still in the back of my mind, those Premiere Elements Audio Hardware ASIO settings keep popping up.

Please see screenshot on the ASIO setting for Premiere Element 7.

I have installed the free 30 days tryout of Premiere Elements 8. Playing my .mts file and the audio can be heared, including the display of audio track in timeline.

DHan
For now for troubleshooting purposes, you could try converting your AVCHD 1920 x 1080 to MPEG2 1920 x 1080 and find out if you have the same audio issues with the MPEG2 version. See free Koyote Soft HD Converter. http://www.koyotesoft.com (http://www.koyotesoft.com/).

To be continued....

ATR

Add on....did you ever say what your computer system resources look like?

I will try this later.

Although Premiere 8 works but I really hope there is a solution to 7 as I dont want to spend the extra cash to buy 8. :twisted:

Cheers
Douglas Han

ATR
January 3rd, 2010, 11:15 PM
Douglas Han

That "OEM" next to Premiere Elements 7 in your Sony Vaio sent up a flare. I am almost certain that Adobe would not entertain a free question on the matter since Premiere Elements 7 is not the current version. Would Sony answer questions directed at their OEM Premiere Elements 7 and .m2ts + audio? I doubt it. Is it worth it to take another look at those ASIO settings in the Premiere Elements 7 Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware? Did you check for an updated audio driver in Hardware/Device Control/.... as mentioned previously?

I have Premiere Elements 7 and 8, Windows XP Pro SP3 32 bit, and have no problems with the video audio of .m2ts with or without 5.1 channel. All my .m2ts are downloaded from the Internet since I do not have an AVCHD camcorder.

I will be watching for your results with Premiere Elements 7 and the MPEG2 1920 x 1080 version of your AVCHD.

ATR

DHan
January 3rd, 2010, 11:24 PM
Hi ATR,

Sorry that I have to ask you to read my previous post on my finding as I was updating the information while you posted your reply :cool:

ASIO setting was captured as screenshot in my previous post and yes i have checked for updated audio driver in Hardware/Device Control/....

Cheers
Douglas Han

ATR
January 3rd, 2010, 11:42 PM
Douglas Han

I was just about to call it a day when I decided to check the threads one more time.

I was delighted to see your news about changing the .m2ts file extension to .avi and getting an actual audio track and audio. When you ended up with your video and audio on those upper tracks, did you have the project preset at PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25 5.1 channel?? Did you render the Timeline by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard? This type of rendering gives you the best possible preview of the end product. It does not improve quality.

In Premiere Elements 8, you will not run into any of this 5.1 channel sound track placement behavior that you see in Premiere Elements 7.

Let us work with this .avi
a. In preferences, is Background Rendering OFF
b. In Elements Organizer preferences, is AutoAnalyzer OFF
c. in preferences, try looking at Enable GPU Playback checked and unchecked

I am very excited about this turn of events. I hope that we can groom it into something acceptable.

To be continued....

ATR

DHan
January 4th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Douglas Han

I cant find those setting above, is that for Premiere 8?

BTW, I noticed that the renamed .avi from .m2ts can be viewed in Premiere 7 with audio if the 30day free Premiere 8 is installed on the system. Removing the Pre 8 package while leaving the smartsound in the system does not help. Hence, you need the entire Premiere 8 to be installed in the system. Now, I just hope that when 30days are up, I can still have the renamed '.avi' with audio in Pre 7. :twisted:

Cheers
Douglas Han

ATR
January 4th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Douglas Han

Background Rendering. In the Premiere Elements 8 workspace under Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

AutoAnalyzer. In the Premiere Elements 8 workspace click on the Organizer Tab in the row below the Organize (Blue) Tab. That will open the Elements Organizer. In the Elements Organizer workspace, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer Options to uncheck AutoAnalzyer. To get back to the Premiere Elements workspace, in the Elements Organizer go to the File Menu/Exit.

Enable GPR Playback. In the Premiere Elements workspace, Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

Be careful with the free 30 day tryout from Adobe. You do not get a chance for a second download whether you keep the program even if you do not use up your 30 days.

But, I just want to make sure that I am clear on the following:
a. Before you downloaded and installed Premiere Elements 8....in Premiere Elements 7, you could get video and audio for your .m2ts if you changed that file extension to .avi
I noticed that the renamed .avi from .m2ts can be viewed in Premiere 7 with audio if the 30day free Premiere 8 is installed on the system.
But, from the quote, it sounds like you might have tried the .m2ts to .avi file extension change after you had installed Premiere Elements 8.

b. After you downloaded and installed Premiere Elements 8....in Premiere Elements 8, you could get video and audio for your .m2ts without changing that file extension to .avi.

Another idea that I am wondering about is the merits of looking for a free .m2ts codec to download and install for your Sony with its OEM Premiere Elements 7. Downloading codecs can solve as well as create problems.

ATR

DHan
January 6th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hi ATR,

No, I still need to rename all my .m2ts files to avi to get the audio in permiere 7. But all this will work only if I have the 30days free trial Premiere 8 install all my system.

I have been able to edit my video now. Thanks for your time and effort. :)

Cheers
DHan

ATR
January 6th, 2010, 08:04 PM
DHan

I just need to recap to make sure we are OK with each others information.

With Premiere Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 8 installed, but only Premiere Elements 8 new project open, your imported .mts 5.1 channel has video and audio on the Premiere Elements 8 Timeline. YES?, based on...
I have installed the free 30 days tryout of Premiere Elements 8. Playing my .mts file and the audio can be heared, including the display of audio track in timeline.With Premiere Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 8 installed, but only the OEM Premiere Elements 7 new project open, your imported .mts 5.1 channel has video and audio on the Premiere Elements 7 Timeline ONLY if the imported file's file extension was changed from .mts to .avi. YES?, based on....
I still need to rename all my .m2ts files to avi to get the audio in permiere 7What I am not 100% on, have you uninstalled Premiere Elements 8 yet to confirm that the .mts to .avi fix works in your OEM Premiere Elements 7 with or without the presence of Premiere Elements 8 in the computer system?

I have not figured out what is going on with the Sony Vaio and its OEM Premiere Elements 7... something "different" about this OEM version or issue with codecs installed in the Sony Vaio???

Thanks for taking the time to work through this.

Much appreciated.

ATR

DHan
January 7th, 2010, 10:22 AM
DHan

I just need to recap to make sure we are OK with each others information.

With Premiere Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 8 installed, but only Premiere Elements 8 new project open, your imported .mts 5.1 channel has video and audio on the Premiere Elements 8 Timeline. YES?, based on...

Yes

DHan
With Premiere Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 8 installed, but only the OEM Premiere Elements 7 new project open, your imported .mts 5.1 channel has video and audio on the Premiere Elements 8 Timeline ONLY if the imported file's file extension was changed from .mts to .avi. YES?, based on....

I assume you meant Elements 7 in your statement, "your imported .mts 5.1 channel has video and audio on the Premiere Elements 8 Timeline ONLY if the imported file's file extension was changed from .mts to .avi. YES?, "

Then it yes.

DHan
What I am not 100% on, have you uninstalled Premiere Elements 8 yet to confirm that the .mts to .avi fix works in your OEM Premiere Elements 7 with or without the presence of Premiere Elements 8 in the computer system?

Yes, I confirmed the need to have Elements 8 by uninstalling and I will endup with no audio with .avi (renamed from .m2ts)

Cheers
DHan

ATR
January 7th, 2010, 10:36 AM
DHan

Thanks for the follow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?p=504414#post504414)
DHan
With Premiere Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 8 installed, but only the OEM Premiere Elements 7 new project open, your imported .mts 5.1 channel has video and audio on the Premiere Elements 8 Timeline ONLY if the imported file's file extension was changed from .mts to .avi. YES?, based on....

I assume you meant Elements 7 in your statement, "your imported .mts 5.1 channel has video and audio on the Premiere Elements 8 Timeline ONLY if the imported file's file extension was changed from .mts to .avi. YES?, "

Then it yes.

Sorry about that, that should have been Premiere Elements 7 Timeline ONLY...instead of Premiere Elements 8... I will correct that in the post where I originally asked the question to avoid confusion for others.

ATR