PDA

View Full Version : Curious how you organize your footage

hawkes
December 29th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I wanted to see how everyone organizes their footage. I have well over 20 DV tapes that I want to start capturing, but I'm not sure how I should organize them. I have video of the family going back a few years and would like to finally be in a position where if I choose the create a video of a birthday party, I can do it.

Do you organize by month? The date the tape spans?

Appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks.

-Hawkes

LGO
December 30th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Hawkes . . .

I've been involved with digital videos for over a decade. What you will find for organizational techniques is that there are many to choose from and you have to try several to find what works for you.

Personally, I make a new folder for each subject, and name it with the date and the content (so everything is listed chronologically according to the date of the content). For example, a decade ago we went to Paris for the millennium and then visited relatives in Germany. My digital video folders from the capture of the trip were listed as such . . .

1999-12-30 - The Louvre
1999-12-31 - Versailles
1999-12-31 - Paris Millennium Celebration
2000-01-08 - Sankt Goar, Rhine River, Germany
2000-01-09 - Bremen, Germany - Alt Stadt
etc., etc.

And while it was all one trip, my capture of the shots were broken down by date and subject. Eventually, as my collection grew, I moved all those folders under one master folder titled "1999-12-Millennium Trip"

Notice how I did the dates - with the month being the second part of the entire date. That organizes it chronologically on the computer for me. Some prefer to organize by content. This way (chronologically and then by subject) works for me best, though.

You're going to have to experiment to find what works best for you. Don't worry, we all go through that!

Good luck,

LGO

ATR
December 30th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Hawkes

Thanks to LGO for sharing valuable detailed possible scenario on the subject as well as comments.

You may want to look into the concept of “TimeCode Burns” in the following link and determine if any of that will benefit your workflow involving all those DV tapes.

http://www.internetvideomag.com/articles2003/TimeCodeBurn.htm

Please update us on your progress after you have gotten all the suggestions organized into what works for you.

Looking forward to your results

ATR
Thanks again LGO

hawkes
December 30th, 2009, 04:36 PM
LGO,

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have all of the folders under one project within PE or is each one it's own project? I think I will do something similiar to the way my photos are organized. For example, I have one master folder for birthdays. Under that folder, each person in the family has their own folder and within that folder is a collection of folders labeled 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. So I think in the end I will have a hybrid of some kind of the two methods.

LGO
January 1st, 2010, 09:20 PM
Hawkes . . .

My organizational technique is from the neanderthal days of video editing (10+ years ago :eek:) when the software didn't organize your work files for you, you did it yourself. To use my previous example, above, I should have shown it to you like this, where "D:" is the drive I stored my files to . . .

D:\1999-12-30 - The Louvre
D:\1999-12-31 - Versailles
D:\ 1999-12-31 - Paris Millennium Celebration
D:\ 2000-01-08 - Sankt Goar, Rhine River, Germany
D:\ 2000-01-09 - Bremen, Germany - Alt Stadt
etc., etc.

To respond to your question directly, I make one folder for each subject I shot video for, and then as many work folders under that as I wish or need.

What you're suggesting for organizing your content is, as you say, a "hybrid" where your first level of organization is by subject, and the sub-folders are more chronological. That's fine. Whatever works for you so you know where you lay your hands on the material you want, when you want. That's the whole object of the exercise!! :)

Don't hesitate to ask questions along the way and good luck!!!

LGO