PDA

View Full Version : Video not playing after capture? This is how I fixed it.

hawkes
December 29th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new the to site here. I came across it while trying to research a video playback issue on PE8, Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I captured some video from my Sony DCR-TRV17 earlier today and when trying to preview the video, I noticed I was getting audio only, but no video. I could drag through the timeline and it would update frame by frame, but no matter what setting I tried, I still could not get the video to playback. Well, after taking a break from being frustrated, I did a new search and was sent to a KB article on Adobe's site that spoke about the device control. For some reason, I just decided to unplug the camcorder from the PC and all of a sudden my video plays back. So simple and yet I spent at least an hour or two earlier updating drivers, checking out FAQ's, changing preferences, etc and all I had to do was unplug the camcorder. So, I hope that this helps someone else from going through the same trouble that I did.

Happy holidays and happy editing!

ATR
December 29th, 2009, 05:38 PM
hawkes

Many problems have the same symptoms but different causes, and many do stem from the same cause.

So, we thank you for sharing what worked for you and may help other users. And, we hope that you will continue to visit here and get involved in the forum discussions.

Would it be possible for you to post the AdobeTech Note that got you on the path to your success? Was it the AdobeTech Note "Cannot start DV or HDV video capture in Premiere Elements 8 (Windows)"?
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/515/cpsid_51583.html

What specific instruction in it caught your attention that turned things around for you? Or, did you just did come up with the unplugging the camcorder fix on your own? Also, Premiere Elements 8 has a Help PDF that gives a detailed procedure for Capture, including Device Control considerations. Have you seen that in your searches?

I will comment on this further with a little bit more background info to be supplied by you.

Thanks again.

ATR

hawkes
December 29th, 2009, 09:00 PM
ATR,

Sorry.... my fault for posting when I'm in a rush to get out the door. I did see that tech note and there is a good chance that it was the one I was reading even though it's not really related to the problem i was having. I think I read something that spoke to actually outputting to the device rather than capturing from it and for whatever reason, I just remember turning to the camcorder unplugging and saying, "it can't be that simple". It may have even been another thread here on the forums. i wish I could tell you more, but it all happened as I was trying to rush out the door to run an errand.

ATR
December 29th, 2009, 09:33 PM
hawkes

Thanks for the follow up.

I will check into this some more to see if I can fill in the why details.

Glad to know that you are moving forward in your projects.

ATR

ATR
December 30th, 2009, 12:03 AM
hawkes

When you get a chance, could you please watch the free video tutorial named "Getting Video from a DV Device" in the link below and then let me know what you were doing differently from that which was demo'd (with AC plugged in) in the video tutorial?

http://www.infiniteskills.com/training/premiere-elements-8-for-windows-essential-training.html

ATR

hawkes
December 30th, 2009, 04:23 PM
ATR,

I went ahead and watched that and the steps he shows are exactly the same steps I went through to capture the video. The only difference being that when I went to watch a preview I didn't get the video, just the audio. As I mentioned in the first post, as soon as I disconnected the camcorder all was well.

-Hawkes

ATR
December 30th, 2009, 06:05 PM
hawkes

The next time the you do your Sony DV Capture (firewire) to Premiere Elements 8, please let us know if you have the same problem that you reported on in this thread. Or, have you already determined that the problem was repeatable and occurs in all your DV captures?

If it does happen again, could you try as alternatives:
a. closing and opening the Capture Panel
and also trying
b. closing the Capture Panel, turning the camcorder AC OFF and then ON, and then reopening the Capture Panel.

You are using AC, not battery, power?
You are capturing DV and not HDV?
You have set for Device Control?

Although you were able to move forward with your project using the fix that you discovered, it is important to attempt to explain the whys for the problem and the fix. I am hoping that anyone with others Premiere Elements versions will report if they are experienced similar problem/fix so that we can determine if this is a Premiere Elements 8 issue or other.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

ATR

hawkes
December 30th, 2009, 08:38 PM
ATR,

OK, I did several more captures today. All had the same result regarding video playback until I either unplugged the camcorder or turned it off.

1) I'm using the AC Adapter for power.
2) I am currently capturing DV, not HDV.
3) I am using device control.

-Hawkes

ATR
December 30th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Hawkes

If you quickly unplugged/replugged the AC or did a quick OFF ON with the camcorder, did that set things right or did the problem immediately return and was only corrected by an unplugged AC or a turned OFF camcorder?

ATR

ATR
December 30th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Hawkes

I do not how much more time that you want to put into this matter and if you are satisfied that you can accomplish your goal consistently with your "fix".

What I would like to see next, instead of DV capture firewire into Premiere Elements 8, is DV capture firewire using the free utility WinDV.
http://windv.mourek.cz/
After such a capture, you would import the split clips into Premiere Elements 8 with its Get Media/Files and Folders.

WinDV for DV Capture and HDVSplit for HDV Capture can be used routinely or for troubleshooting purposes.
http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm
For now, I am suggesting WinDV for troubleshooting purposes.

By the way, as per the capture video tutorial that you watched, did you disable the AutoAnalyzer in the Capture window?

ATR

hawkes
December 30th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I did both on/off with the camcorder itself as well as removing the cable. As soon as the camcorder is plugged back in with power on, the video stops and I only get the audio. As soon as I power it off or remove the cable, the video plays normally.

In respect to the AutoAnalyzer, I tried both checked and unchecked. Checked obviously takes quite a bit longer, but in the end both settings still provide the same result when the cam is on and plugged in. No video motion, only audio.

As for trying WinDV, I will give that a shot in the next day or so. I have to install another hard drive since I've filled up what I have at this moment. I have a 500 gig I will put in and give the WinDV a shot.

-Hawkes

ATR
December 30th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Hawkes

Thanks for your help in defining this issue.

Your help is much appreciated. I do not have a miniDV camcorder otherwise I would be working away trying to replicate your issue first hand.

I am hoping our posts back and forth will encourage others to enter into the matter saying DV Capture firewire Premiere Elements 8 works OK for me or I have the same video preview issue.
or
I only have this problem with Premiere Elements 8, not the other previous versions

I believe that we will get valuable information by introducing WinDV into this troubleshooting.

Thanks again.

ATR

hawkes
January 3rd, 2010, 03:49 PM
ATR,

I finally was able to give WinDV a shot today. The bottom line is that if the Cam is plugged in AND on, I only get the audio playback.

On a side note, WinDV is pretty nice. I like the fact that it will create a new AVI for each scene as detected by the timecode and then label each file accordingly. This actually may be a better way of capturing the video than creating a project in PE8 everytime I have a new tape. Any opinion on that?

-Hawkes

ATR
January 3rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
Hawkes

You should be able to do all that with camcorder connected via firewire to your computer and direct capture into Premiere Elements (as per the link that I posted, the video demo'd all that)

Any wild chance there could be a problem with the Firewire cable or camcorder cable connection fit or camcorder setting(s)?

ATR

hawkes
January 3rd, 2010, 04:54 PM
I am getting the feeling that the camocrder while on, shows DV IN on the LCD and I think that may be part of the issue. not sure how PRE8 would see the camcorder in that mode and if that would have an effect.

ATR
January 3rd, 2010, 07:22 PM
hawkes

Your last comments were very interesting....the LCD showing DV IN. Did you do any more follow up on that?

That generated some more questions on my side
After I watched a Sony video on recommended firewire transfer from camcorder to computer editing software, I ask "Did you follow this sequence?"
a. Make secure firewire connection between camcorder iLink and computer firewire port
b. Power up the Sony. Did you go for AC or battery here? It looked like when the dial was on ON, the modes above had Play/Edit selected
c. Power up the Computer
d. Start the software

Also, when you started the software, I assumed that you used Get Media/DV Camcorder, not Share/Tape which I would think would be more in keeping your your DV IN that you said that you saw on the LCD of the camcorder.

I will be watching for further details.

ATR

hawkes
January 3rd, 2010, 07:54 PM
a. Make secure firewire connection between camcorder iLink and computer firewire port

Done.

b. Power up the Sony. Did you go for AC or battery here? It looked like when the dial was on ON, the modes above had Play/Edit selected

Yes and as mentioned before, AC power. Also, the dial switch has VCR, OFF, Camera. I set it to VCR.

c. Power up the Computer

This has no effect whether it's done before the computer is powered on or after.

d. Start the software

Again, same result whether the software is started before or after it's powered on.

Also, when you started the software, I assumed that you used Get Media/DV Camcorder, not Share/Tape which I would think would be more in keeping your your DV IN that you said that you saw on the LCD of the camcorder.

Yes, Get media/DV Camcorder.

ATR
January 3rd, 2010, 08:21 PM
Hawkes

How long have you had that Sony camcorder? Is it still at a stage when you can call Sony for free answers to questions? If so, I would like to know the significance of DV IN being displayed on the LCD during the DV Capture.

The fact that you have the same issue with WinDV as well as Premiere Elements 8 suggests that this is not a capture/video editing software issue. For troubleshooting purposes, have you also tried to do the DV Capture with Windows Movie Maker?

ATR

hawkes
January 3rd, 2010, 08:54 PM
I think I misled you. WinDV without using the camcorder works just fine. The video and audio both playback without issue. The problem arises once again when the camcorder is introduced into the equation.

Once again, the issue is with the camcorder being connected or turned on. The DCR-TRV17 is from 2001. I could look further into it, but I think since no one else has chimed in at this point, that it is probably just unique to either me or this camcorder in combination with the software.

ATR
January 3rd, 2010, 09:35 PM
Hawkes

WinDV without using the camcorder works just fine.
I am not sure I am clear on that one. At some point the camcorder needs to have a firewire connection to the computer and its active WinDV software to get the video from the camcorder to the software editing interface. In this scenario you are using WinDV in place of Premiere Elements which you say will not complete the video transfer unless the camcorder AC is disconnected.

So it sounds like WinDV is behaving the same as Premiere Elements????

ATR

hawkes
January 5th, 2010, 10:07 AM
OK.. let me try to break this down as I've tried this more ways than I can possibly think of.

Every method of capturing outside of PRE8 works fine. Capturing in PRE8 works fine as long as I turn off or disconnect the cable from the camcorder before I start previewing the cpaturing video or editing it.

I don't want this thread to get any more out of control. I think the bottomline to my situation is just to simply remove the camcorder before I preview or edit. Considering that no one else has chimed in, I would think it's a relatively isolated incident, however, as I do more research I will keep this thread updated on anything I learn.

ATR
January 5th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Hawkes

Thanks for all your follow up.

ATR

fatfingers
January 10th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I just wanted to chime in and let you guys know that the same issue occurs for me and the same fix works as well. I too, have a DV input and it was likely purchased in early 2002 or so -- Canon ZR45MC.

So, it is not camera specific, nor OS specific as I am using XP 32 bit.

I did notice that when the camera is turned on the video playback goes through the camera. As soon as I turn the camera off and preview the clips again, the video plays fine in pre 8.

dharsihm
January 10th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I have installed PE8 on windows7. I just took a sample file of .mov and .mpg file. I bring them into PE8. I can hear sound no video. However, I can move frame by frame and see the video but no continous playback. If I go full screen, the video plays back correctly. BUT in PE8 in the monitor section, NO VIDEO PLAYBACK. Any Help would be appreciated. There is NO camcoder involved here. It is sample file of QT from Apple website and sample file from Oreily book for elements an mpg file.

ATR
January 10th, 2010, 11:42 AM
dharsihm

Could you please remove your post from the thread that we are in now and start you own new thread on your issues.

I am leaving a similar note in the other thread to which you have tacked a question.

Problems can have the same symptoms, but different causes. And, I do not want to see your issues lost at the bottom of someone else's thread.

Thanks.

ATR

(I will meet you at your new thread. The first thing that I will want to know is "Do you have the latest version of QuickTime Installed On Your Computer?")

ATR
January 10th, 2010, 11:46 AM
fatfingers

Thanks for posting your observations on this matter of Capture in Premiere Elements 8 and unplugging the camera.

Your comment is a valuable contribution to trying to get a handle on the issue and fix.

ATR

ATR
January 10th, 2010, 08:23 PM
dharsihm follow up

for the continuation of dharsihm's post in this thread, please see
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54233

Thanks.

ATR