PDA

View Full Version : trouble viewing m2t files (from HDV Split) in PE7

serge
December 29th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I have captured some videos using HDV Split (this is my first try with HDV Split), but am not able to view them in PE7. PE allows me to add them to the project, but that's about as far as I can get. The videos were recorded using a Canon HV30. I can view these m2t files just fine using Nero Showtime, so I assume they are ok. I have seen a few posts from others who also had similar issues, but have not found a resolution. Please help me.

ATR
December 29th, 2009, 08:46 AM
serge

When you import these .m2t files into Premiere Elements, Get Media/File and Folders, you will find your file(s) in the Organize Mode (Blue Tab) section of the program. There should be a thumbnail for each of the imported files. Do these thumbnails, representing the .m2t imports, each have a video image?

When you drag one of these .m2t to the Timeline, apparently you are getting a black screen in the Edit Mode Monitor (please confirm on that). Right click the Edit Mode Monitor, select Playback Settings, and look to where it says Desktop Display Mode. What is dotted: Compatible, Standard, or Accelerated GPU Effects? Experiment with this setting to see if this affects the issue.

What is the project preset (new project dialog) that you set for this project..NTSC HDV HDV 1080i30 or other? You might also try the following with one of the video files. Make a copy of the .m2t saved to the computer hard drive, and change the file extension of copy from .m2t to .m2ts, followed by importing the .m2ts version into Premiere Elements 7 and see if that affects the issue.

Let us look at and try the above. I will be watching for your progress.

Last, but first, is your video driver updated even if you are working from a brand new computer?

ATR

serge
December 29th, 2009, 02:07 PM
ATR,

Thanks for the response. The image in the thumbnail is the same as the image in the edit mode monitor (both are a strange yellow pattern with "media pending" in multiple languages). I have tried all 3 playback settings with no change (it was in standard).

Success! Changing the extension from .m2t to m2ts works!!! Is there a simple way to have HDV Split use the .m2ts extension instead?

I believe my video driver (and all others) are up to date. Is there a quick way to check?

Thanks for all the help.
Serge

ATR
December 29th, 2009, 05:16 PM
serge

Success! Changing the extension from .m2t to m2ts works!!! Is there a simple way to have HDV Split use the .m2ts extension instead?

I have never used HDVSplit, but from what I have read it splits .m2t video files with no mention of an option to rename the file extension in the process. I will continue to look into this, but right now I would say No to that question.

As for updating your video card, please check out the following link:
http://tribaltrouble.com/driversupport.php

I am very pleased with your success. Please keep us updated on your progress.

ATR

ATR
December 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Add on....

Until proven otherwise, I am staying with No for HDVSplit doing any renaming of the .m2t files and clips split from them.

ATR

Kevo
February 28th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Although it crashed Premier Elements 8 brought my M2T files into the Organizer and viewed them on the timeline. When I tried to save PE8 crashed.:(

ATR
February 28th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Kevo

Thanks for reporting on your finding.

Have you tried renaming just the file extension of the file from .mts to .m2ts to determine if that has any impact on the frequency of these Premiere Elements 8 crashes?

But before you do that, have you updated Premiere Elements 8 with the Premiere Elements 8.0.1 Update (Patch) just released from Adobe and obtained from within your program's Help Menu/Updates?

There could be a lot of reasons for your Premiere Elements crashes. If the problem persists after the 8.0.1 Update, please post details of your situation in your own new thread in this forum, and we will see if you can determine together what is going on. I will no doubt start with computer resources and what is going on your Timeline.

ATR