PDA

View Full Version : Preimer Elements v8 - Locking/Crashing...

tcesar888
December 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Hello!

This is so frustrating. I'm about to return this software...

Windows: Win7; 8GB HDD; AMD x4; 720GB HDD etc...

Problems:

1.) During project creation/editing, I usually get 2-3 ramdom software failures; whereby Adobe is sent a error report...

2.) Although I am saving my projects frequently; most times I cannot get my project to reload. I get a Light Gray screen and it sit and sits... So my project simply went bye-bye... I can see the .PREL file but it wont pull up...

- I tried reinsalltion from scratch. Seemed to work for a bit, but shortly after it returend to doing the same thing.

- I reboot numerous times...

3.) Sometimes the program wont even launch...unless I do a hardware reboot. I can create a new project; but still cannot open existing projects. Sucks!

4.) When I view my project (after creating a menu w/template) it looks good. When I burn it; the menu presentation comes out streached off the TV screen.

5.) I thought I'd get pro-active and run Project Archive; it locked up (sent a message) and I couldnt get back into the program.

6.) the software installed under the x86 program files area; is this a 64bit app?

Anyway, I'm about to chuck this thing. Please, I hope someone can tell me its ALL ME and not the software.

Sheesh!

Mahalo,

.t :mad:

ATR
December 27th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Mahalo

First, Premiere Elements 8 and all the other versions of Premiere Elements are 32 bit applications. Premiere Elements 8 is running as a 32 bit application in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system. Premiere Pro is also a 32 bit application, BUT it has been optimized by Adobe for a 64 bit system. Premiere Elements 8 has NOT. Your available RAM is not 8 GB, probably less than 4 GB (RAM, physical memory) and with the addressable memory (virtual memory) limitations of a 32 bit system.

1. Have you disabled Background Rendering (Editor, Edit Menu/Preferences/General); AutoAnalyzer (Elements Organizer, Edit Menu/Preferences/General)?
2. What is the project preset (new project dialog) that you are setting for your project? That setting determines what set of DVD Templates will be available to you when you get to Create Menu. It is possible that you have a HDV or AVCHD project preset, getting HD DVD Menu Templates, and are getting Menu distortions because your export is encoding DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen, not a HD format.
3. Are you piling up scratch files (including preview files) in the Adobe Folder (default location My Documents/Adobe Folder)? You need to direct those files to an external hard drive (formatted NTFS, not FAT32) (See Editor, Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks).
4. What exactly are you putting on that Premiere Elements 8 Timeline, AVCHD, HDV, SD??? Frame size/frame rate, video audio codecs???
5. Have you read the threads at the top of the forum related to Premiere Elements 8 issues? And have you tried any of the anti-crash remedies (when indicated), including:
a. the NVIDIA card fixes, including disabling the Thread Optimization feature of the NVIDIA card (if the card has that feature)
b. going to the Control Panel/Display and setting the Hardware Acceleration = NONE and returning that setting to FULL if that does not work?

It may not be you nor the program, just the fact that you two have not gotten into sync yet.

The best is yet to come (not problems), so hang in there and let us see if we can identify the factors that are contributing to this distress.

You can do it.

ATR

tcesar888
December 27th, 2009, 09:09 PM
ATR,

Thanks you for the quick reply. I really appreciate your assistance. My replies are below.

Thanks,

Tom

======

1. Have you disabled Background Rendering (Editor, Edit Menu/Preferences/General); AutoAnalyzer (Elements Organizer, Edit Menu/Preferences/General)?

Reply: Yes, I have disabled both features

2. What is the project preset (new project dialog) that you are setting for your project? That setting determines what set of DVD Templates will be available to you when you get to Create Menu. It is possible that you have a HDV or AVCHD project preset, getting HD DVD Menu Templates, and are getting Menu distortions because your export is encoding DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen, not a HD format.

Reply: My new project preset is NTSC-DV-Standard 48kHz. What is the best-practice choice for showing stills/video/audio on a standard TV (lowest common denominator)?

3. Are you piling up scratch files (including preview files) in the Adobe Folder (default location My Documents/Adobe Folder)? You need to direct those files to an external hard drive (formatted NTFS, not FAT32) (See Editor, Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks).

Reply: I have seen some folders there, but no files inside. I should direct them to an alternate drive. OK, Ill need to do that.

4. What exactly are you putting on that Premiere Elements 8 Timeline, AVCHD, HDV, SD??? Frame size/frame rate, video audio codecs???

Reply: Im placing photos(JPG), video clips (various sources; VOB), and music (MP3). The files are located on my hard drive. Im pretty new to this; I apologize.

5. Have you read the threads at the top of the forum related to Premiere Elements 8 issues? And have you tried any of the anti-crash remedies (when indicated), including:

a. the NVIDIA card fixes, including disabling the Thread Optimization feature of the NVIDIA card (if the card has that feature)

Reply: I am using ATI Radeon HD 4200. It has the latest device driver. Is this the same as a NVIDIA card; does it apply to me? I could not find anything on enabling or disabling Thread Optimization.

b. going to the Control Panel/Display and setting the Hardware Acceleration = NONE and returning that setting to FULL if that does not work?

Reply: I could not find anything on Hardware Acceleration.

=====================
Mahalo

First, Premiere Elements 8 and all the other versions of Premiere Elements are 32 bit applications. Premiere Elements 8 is running as a 32 bit application in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system. Premiere Pro is also a 32 bit application, BUT it has been optimized by Adobe for a 64 bit system. Premiere Elements 8 has NOT. Your available RAM is not 8 GB, probably less than 4 GB (RAM, physical memory) and with the addressable memory (virtual memory) limitations of a 32 bit system.

It may not be you nor the program, just the fact that you two have not gotten into sync yet.

The best is yet to come (not problems), so hang in there and let us see if we can identify the factors that are contributing to this distress.

You can do it.

ATR

tcesar888
December 27th, 2009, 09:36 PM
One more pressing issue:

I worked on a project; saved it, and even burned it... But now I cannot seem to re-open the project back up. After I select the project it displays the "Loading Project" bar... But it dosent come up. Light Gray screen...

Is my project gone? Corrupt?

Thanks again,

Tom

tcesar888
December 27th, 2009, 09:39 PM
On more piece of information...

My flat screen monitor is maxed out at 1024x768. Its a tiny little thing. Could this have anythig to do with anything?

ATR
December 27th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Tom

Lots to check out, some more immediate than others....

1. Hardware Acceleration slider to NONE
Control Panel/Display/Settings Tab/Advance Button in Settings/in next dialog, click on Troubleshoot Tab to display its Hardware Acceleration section with the Hardware Acceleration slider. It is probably on FULL, move the slider to NONE and see if it resolves any of your issues. If not, go back and set it to FULL.

2. Remember the project preset (new project dialog) should be as close as possible to the properties of the import. Think of this preset as a template from which to edit. Its setting does not prohibit you from selecting a different type of export. But, it does direct what DVD Menu Templates will be available to you when you get to Create Menus.
Example if your VOBs are from a DVD-VIDEO NTSC Widescreen, then the Premiere Elements project preset should be NTSC DV Widescreen. And, if you are heading for DVD-VIDEO, the Share/Disc/Disc with a present of NTSC Widescreen.

3. The NVIDIA card fixes apply to computers with NVIDIA cards.

4. What is the native resolution of your Monitor? Check the user manual for the monitor. I have a 19 inch Acer Monitor that has a native resolution of 1440 x 900. That is what the user manual gives for the native resolution and that is what I use for it. See what your user manual says for the brand and type of Monitor that you are using.

5. After you have created your DVD-VIDEO and you play it back on your TV via your DVD player, confirm whether or not you see distortions in the menu there?

To be continued....

ATR

tcesar888
December 28th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Thank you...

1.) Strange, but I don't ever get to a Hardware Acceleration slider. I have looked everywhere. Maybe it has to do with the limitations of my monitor. You know I'm using Win7; could it be differnet?

2.) I am experimenting with a few different presets. I'll dial-one-in to meet my purposes. At least now I know what its for and how it works now. Thanks!

3.) I made certain that I had the latest video device driver; as well Quicktime too.

4.) The max for my monitor is 1024x768. I'm considering getting a new monitor. The one I have will never keep up with this new video adapter. Maybe then I will get that acceleration slider...

5.) I will test a few projects on my TV and my older one too...

=================

Tom

Lots to check out, some more immediate than others....

1. Hardware Acceleration slider to NONE
Control Panel/Display/Settings Tab/Advance Button in Settings/in next dialog, click on Troubleshoot Tab to display its Hardware Acceleration section with the Hardware Acceleration slider. It is probably on FULL, move the slider to NONE and see if it resolves any of your issues. If not, go back and set it to FULL.

2. Remember the project preset (new project dialog) should be as close as possible to the properties of the import. Think of this preset as a template from which to edit. Its setting does not prohibit you from selecting a different type of export. But, it does direct what DVD Menu Templates will be available to you when you get to Create Menus.
Example if your VOBs are from a DVD-VIDEO NTSC Widescreen, then the Premiere Elements project preset should be NTSC DV Widescreen. And, if you are heading for DVD-VIDEO, the Share/Disc/Disc with a present of NTSC Widescreen.

3. The NVIDIA card fixes apply to computers with NVIDIA cards.

4. What is the native resolution of your Monitor? Check the user manual for the monitor. I have a 19 inch Acer Monitor that has a native resolution of 1440 x 900. That is what the user manual gives for the native resolution and that is what I use for it. See what your user manual says for the brand and type of Monitor that you are using.

5. After you have created your DVD-VIDEO and you play it back on your TV via your DVD player, confirm whether or not you see distortions in the menu there?

To be continued....

ATR

ATR
December 28th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Tom

Thanks for the update.

I will look into the Hardware Acceleration and if is a feature in Windows 7.

Looking forward to learning of your progress.

ATR

ATR
December 28th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Add On...

Tom

I just came across this link re: Hardware Acceleration and Windows 7.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/4a8b9a95-f458-45f8-827e-a254c80e4e05

Please let me know if it was helpful.

Thanks.

ATR

tcesar888
December 28th, 2009, 12:14 PM
This is super! I'm going to try these tips.

Also, have there been any reports of issues with using specific DVD Menu Templates? I'm wondering if the project I was working on (that I am unable to re-open) had anything to do with that. Redoing the the project using a different menu template; it seems to be acting more consistant...

Additionally, when I add my own music to the Menu Template; it only allows for a 29:29 sec play duration maximum (then loops). Can you go beyond that? There is a duration setting; but I won't let me increate the duration beyond 29:29 sec. No biggie.

Anyway, thank you for your assistance. I'm no longer on the edge of smashing my box! Ha!

Thank you!

Tom

==================
Add On...

Tom

I just came across this link re: Hardware Acceleration and Windows 7.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/4a8b9a95-f458-45f8-827e-a254c80e4e05

Please let me know if it was helpful.

Thanks.

ATR

ATR
December 28th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Tom

I am very much in favor of non destructive photo and video editing techniques, so I am glad that matters are progressing positively on your side.

With those DVD menu templates, you can add background video and/or audio, BUT you are limited to 30 second duration with looping. No setting available for more, similar with a lot of other software also.

Some DVD menu templates seem to be more problematic than others. So, with DVD menu template issues, it is a good idea to try another DVD menu template to see if it gives you the same problem. When you find one that gives you problems, it is also a good idea to post the category and name of the problem template, so we can see if it follows a trend for other users as well.

Keep up the good work.

ATR

tcesar888
December 28th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I hope this helps...

Without any extended testing (yet); the DVD Menu Template that I encountered issues with is as follows:

Section: SlideShow
DVD Menu Name : Pan and Zoom
Description: Waterfront (blue/green) with Wooded Dock

Issue:

I would encounter habitual application errors; forcing an application and hardware reboot. After the failure, I sometimes would not be able to re-open the project I had just created. And in a few cases the project was not able to re-open** at all (unusable). This also took place a few times after buring the DVD.

** = Upon launch of the project; it would appear to load, but it would simply remain at the blank light-gray application screen. The application would remain itact, but no project would come up.

I can't say with all certainty that this is related to "this" specific template; but I have now changed to other templates and they seem to work fine. I will test more thoroughly after my frustration calms down.

==============

Tom

I am very much in favor of non destructive photo and video editing techniques, so I am glad that matters are progressing positively on your side.

With those DVD menu templates, you can add background video and/or audio, BUT you are limited to 30 second duration with looping. No setting available for more, similar with a lot of other software also.

Some DVD menu templates seem to be more problematic than others. So, with DVD menu template issues, it is a good idea to try another DVD menu template to see if it gives you the same problem. When you find one that gives you problems, it is also a good idea to post the category and name of the problem template, so we can see if it follows a trend for other users as well.

Keep up the good work.

ATR

ATR
December 28th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Tom

Thanks, that was valuable feedback.

Also, since the scene selection menu pages are designed with different numbers of scenes per page, let us keep track of how many scene selection pages were added by the program when the project's scenes exceeded the number of scene per page.

Thanks again.

ATR

tcesar888
December 28th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Interestingly, I only had one scene.

However, could it be that that I was using a "slideshow" DVD menu for a video clip; could that be an issue?

Thanks,

Tom

=============

Tom

Thanks, that was valuable feedback.

Also, since the scene selection menu pages are designed with different numbers of scenes per page, let us keep track of how many scene selection pages were added by the program when when the project's scenes exceeded the number of scene per page.

Thanks again.

ATR

ATR
December 28th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Tom

could it be that that I was using a "slideshow" DVD menu for a video clip
I do not think so.

When you are in the Edit Mode before you go to Create Menus, you place your scene markers (green) at the Timeline locations that will be reflected in the corresponding thumbnails of the Scene Selection Page.

It does not matter if a scene marker is placed on the Timeline at the beginning of each photo or video or at scenes within the video.

Let us say that you placed 4 scene markers on that Timeline, you headed over to Create Menus, and selected a DVD Menu Template whose Scene selection page design called for 6 scenes per page. You would find one scene selection page with only 4 thumbnails on that page, each showing the image corresponding to the point on the Timeline where its scene marker had been placed. (Offset in the marker dialog is another story for another time.)

Now what if you placed 8 scene markers and you had a DVD Menu Template whose design called for 6 scene per page. Then you would find 2 scene selection pages, one with 6 thumbnails (scenes) and the next page with 2 thumbnails (scenes). Since each page copies the setup of the original and if you have not pre-named the scenes, it is a good idea to make sure you check the thumbnails names on each page if more than one scene selection page. Otherwise, in the two page example above, the thumbnails on page 1 would be named Scene 1, Scene 2, Scene 3, Scene 4, Scene 5, and Scene 6, and the thumbnails on page 2 would be named Scene 1 and Scene 2.

Please let me know if you need clarification on anything that I have written here.

ATR

tcesar888
December 28th, 2009, 04:10 PM
This is great! I can't wait to try those tips you provided earleir about tweaking Win7... Plus I hope to travel home tonight with a second SATA drive in hand, to offload my content files...

Thanks again!

===========
Tom

I do not think so.

When you are in the Edit Mode before you go to Create Menus, you place your scene markers (green) at the Timeline locations that will be reflected in the corresponding thumbnails of the Scene Selection Page.

It does not matter if a scene marker is placed on the Timeline at the beginning of each photo or video or at scenes within the video.

Let us say that you placed 4 scene markers on that Timeline, you headed over to Create Menus, and selected a DVD Menu Template whose Scene selection page design called for 6 scenes per page. You would find one scene selection page with only 4 thumbnails on that page, each showing the image corresponding to the point on the Timeline where its scene marker had been placed. (Offset in the marker dialog is another story for another time.)

Now what if you placed 8 scene markers and you had a DVD Menu Template whose design called for 6 scene per page. Then you would find 2 scene selection pages, one with 6 thumbnails (scenes) and the next page with 2 thumbnails (scenes). Since each page copies the setup of the original and if you have not pre-named the scenes, it is a good idea to make sure you check the thumbnails names on each page if more than one scene selection page. Otherwise, in the two page example above, the thumbnails on page 1 would be named Scene 1, Scene 2, Scene 3, Scene 4, Scene 5, and Scene 6, and the thumbnails on page 2 would be named Scene 1 and Scene 2.

Please let me know if you need clarification on anything that I have written here.

ATR

ATR
December 28th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Tom

Look online about SATA drives and formatting NTFS, unless you have been there and done that.

ATR