PDA

View Full Version : Resizing problems PRE7

jonf
December 27th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I am using the Premiere Elements 7.0 and have an issue with the templates I am using. After I added all clips and made a dvd-menu, I save the project. If I after restart premiere or burn the dvd premiere itself resizes text-sizes and scene-marker-pictures. Is this a common problem which has an easy fix?

ATR
December 27th, 2009, 02:41 PM
jonf

Problems with similar similar symptoms often have different causes. Your problem is not to be expected, so we need to explore your details to come up with a solution.

a. What was the source, format, and duration of what you put on your Premiere Elements 7 Timeline?
b. What did you set as the Premiere Elements 7 project preset (new project dialog)? NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen or its PAL counterpart?
c. How many scene markers (green) to you apply to the Timeline content?
d. How many main menu pages and scene menu pages did you end up with?
e. Before you went to Share, what did the Preview look like (navigation buttons function, scene menu text and thumbnail size and locations?
f. In Share, what do you set? Share/Disc/Disc, using the preset NTSC Standard or Widescreen?

Let us start here and see where this takes us.

I will be looking forward to your responses.

ATR

jonf
December 28th, 2009, 07:05 AM
a. It is .avi clips between 23 seconds and 7 minutes.
b. DV PAL.
c. 51 clips.
d. 1 main menu, and 9 scene menu pages.
e. In preview, it looks good, like I want it to look.
f. I used the PAL Disc to harddrive option.

I actually figured out which step that makes it act weird. I changed the size of the motion button on the scene pages, that works good. If I then change the text-size and hit 'Apply to all marker buttons' everything looks good. BUT, if I after that saves and restarts Premiere or close and open my project. Premiere changes the size of my marker buttons itself. It makes it totally messy.

So it seems like Premiere can't handle to change the text-size to what I want? Like it can't keep that setting somehow.

Thanks for your time!

ATR
December 28th, 2009, 10:57 AM
johf

Based on your recent details, I have looked further into the issue, using Premiere Elements 7 as well as 8.

Be it version 8 or 7, I can confirm what you are seeing, doing what you are doing. (And, it does not matter if the button is a Motion Button or not.)

When you decide that you want to change the size of the thumbnail in the scene selection menu, and click and drag the handles for the thumbnail bounding box, you are resizing the thumbnail PLUS the text. Typically, a thumbnail and its text are all part of the same Layer Set in the .psd file in the Premiere Elements program files. And, if you change the text size in the Text Properties to the right of the interface, the size of the thumbnail bounding box will change.

I have not gone through all the possible scenarios, but suggest that the safest routes are either:

a. make change by scaling the thumbnail with its bounding box and accepting the text size change that accompanies that scaling (this way gives you finer tuning of the actual font size if you use font size as a goal in this thumbnail resizing)

OR

b. make change in text size in the dialog to right of interface ONLY, accepting the resizing of the thumbnail bounding box that accompanies this change (here you would need to accept the font sizes available in the drop down list..I do not see a way to type in your own value)

OR

c. go into the Premiere Elements program files, DVD Templates Folder and edit the .psd file for the DVD Menu Template that you want to use.

Please check out the above and determine if any of it helps in your project goals.

ATR

jonf
December 28th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks for your help and time!
!

ATR
December 28th, 2009, 09:24 PM
jonf

That was all very interesting. I had not really noticed those details before. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I hope that you were able find a compromise to get an acceptable looking DVD Menu for your project.

Thanks again.

ATR

jermuf
February 17th, 2011, 08:42 AM
ATR,
I am not sure if I should start a new thread. I am running PE7 and I am having the same issue on my main menu when making a DVD. When I resize the text, the size changes after restarting elements or opening a new project. It also changes the text size if you immediately burn a disc. I do not have a thumbnail attached like the above issue. I am just changing the text size of the "movie title." I have made the title multiple lines and changed the position to fit my project menu. I have tried resizing by dragging the corner as well as changing the text drop menu on the right. Everytime I save and reopen, it is resized.
Before:

After:

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
JermUF

ATR
February 17th, 2011, 10:58 AM
jermuf

I will take a look at this in my Premiere Elements 7 and get back to you on this later today.

ATR

ATR
February 17th, 2011, 03:41 PM
jermuf

From checking out the DVD Templates in Premiere Elements 7 and comparing them to your screenshots, I figured out that your Premiere Elements 7 DVD Template was General/Portfolio.

Let us see if we can deal with your issue in this thread. Of the 3 routes to getting the job done that I suggested to jonf, options b and c would work fine for you with following:

b. route
1. In the Premiere Elements 7 Disc Menu Section, apply the General/Portfolio DVD Template.
2. In the disc menus bin, select the DVD main menu.
3. Drag the "Movie Title Here" from the narrow horizontal strip to the area above that you have been using for your 3 lines of text.
4. Double click the "Movie Title Here" to open the Change Text Dialog. Type your complete 3 lines of text as shown in your screenshots.
5. In the right side of the interface, go to "Change Text Size" and change it from 23 to 14. (NOTHING ELSE)
6. Now with your mouse cursor, use the text bounding box points around your 3 lines of text to click and drag the text to fit the area defined by that pale gray color. Position that block of 3 lines accordingly. That should stay put before and after burn to disc. I have road tested this several times.

c. typing in your text in the Title/Text Layer of the DVD Template main menu .psd in the program files.
1. This will work, but there are more details involved. If you want an alternative to "b", then I will give you a step by step for "c".

By the way, did you realize that the area where you are placing your 3 line "Movie Title" was originally designed for 5 thumbnails, not text placement?

Please let us know if that above worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

jermuf
February 17th, 2011, 04:13 PM
ATR,
So far it is working. It seems there is a specific sequence for it to work correctly. Thank you for your insight. I will let you know if I have trouble after burning.
JermUF

ATR
February 17th, 2011, 06:52 PM
jermuf

Looking forward to your final results.

It should be OK. I road tested everything, including the results after burn to disc.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

jermuf
February 19th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Everything worked great after the burn. Thank you for your help!

ATR
February 19th, 2011, 10:05 AM
jermuf

Thanks for the follow up with that great news.

Continued success.

ATR