PDA

View Full Version : Can Premier Elements convert to h.264?

jmhays
December 25th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I just bought Premier Elements and I am just trying to figure out how to use it for the first time.

I have been taking videos of my son's wrestling team and I want to be able to post the videos on SmugMug.com where I have my wrestling photos posted. SMugMug says it might be easier if I convert the video file to the h.264 format that they use prior to posting the videos.

I tried lookeg everywhere in the Premier help section and I did not find any information on this issue.

So, can Premier Elements convert to the h.264 format? If not, what format should I save my video in to make it easier to convert to h.264? I would prefer not to lose much data during the conversion so that the final video that is posted online looks as good as possible.

Can anyone suggest any solutions?

Thanks.

Joe

ATR
December 25th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Joe

What version of Premiere Elements do you have?

Premiere Elements questions should be placed in the Premiere Elements Forum here so that they do not get mixed and lost with Photoshop Elements ones.

What camcorder (brand/model/and settings are you using to record your events? H.264 is a compression type which is included with some of the exports in the Share/Personal Computer/export choices. Once you pick an export choice, you can look under the Advance button for settings.

Wendy may come across your post and automatically transfer it to the Premiere Elements Forum or you can move the thread over there yourself. Wherever you are I will find you.

I do not use SmugMug.com, so I need to take a look at its specifications and limitations for video.

Once I have all your information we can work this out.

ATR

Wendy
December 26th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I'll move it over for you ...

Welcome to the Village Joe :)

Wendy

ATR
December 26th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Joe,

I have been watching for details of your project in order to give you the best possible suggestions.

I looked at the SmugMug site and found that:
http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Video+Formats
a. if "Power User", you can have 10 minutes SD video.
b. if "Pro User", you can have 10 minutes SD OR 10 minutes HD.
Both of these appear to have a 600 MB limit. And, the frame rate is 30 frames/second. Which type of user are you and again what are you shooting and after, SD or HD and what are the details for that?

I see that it will accept the video with the H.264 compression and file extensions of .mov, .avi, .mpeg. It also appears to accept no audio, 1, 2 channel audio, but not 5.1 channel.

By the way, in addition to my previous questions, what is the total Timeline time for this project?

ATR

Thanks Wendy for transferring the thread to the Premiere Elements Forum.

jmhays
December 27th, 2009, 07:55 PM
ATR,
Thanks for your reply, I am using Premier Elements version 8. My camcorder is an older (now) Panasonic PS-GV700 capable of 1.2 megapixels. I can download the files to my computer where I start the editing process using Premeier Elements.

I am a "Power" user on SmugMug.com, I upgraded my subscription so I could post the videos of my son's wrestling team. These will be short videos, no longer than 10 minutes each, but there will be a bunch of them so I may run into the upper storage limit for the total amount of storage, not for each individual file.

I already have a few matches recorded so now I am trying to get them posted online.

Thanks for the tip on where to find the output format (H.264 is a compression type which is included with some of the exports in the Share/Personal Computer/export choices. Once you pick an export choice, you can look under the Advance button for settings.) I will try to make a finished video right now and post it.

Joe

ATR
December 27th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Joe

I will be watching for your results.

ATR

jmhays
December 27th, 2009, 11:32 PM
ATR,
With your asistance I ahve been able to upload one movie so far and I am trying for anther right now. I am running into the 600 MB size limitation on most of the movies. Even though these are shot in standard def, they are still much larger than 600 MB.

I have been able to upload the files using the .avi extension and the quality looks pretty good. Is there another movie type I should try that will have a smaller file size?

Thanks again for all your help.

Joe

ATR
December 28th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Joe

In your export choice, under Advance, is there an option for adjusting the bitrate? If so, try lowering the bitrate a little. That approach turns out to be a trade off since the lower the bitrate, the smaller the file size, BUT the lesser the quality.

You could take a look at QuickTime, preset 128 K Dual ISDN, under Advance use H.264 video codec and set appropriate frame size and other properties.

Keep up the good work and looking forward to learning of your progress.

ATR