PDA

View Full Version : PRE 8 crashes and closes

egitelman@ieee.org
December 24th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I opened a Project -Lesson 01 in PRE* Classroom in a book. I loaded all the AVI files in the project as instructed in the book. I got a message that system resources are low and I saved the project. I was looking at Properties (Windows/Properties) when the Pre8 crashed and closed and I got the crash report form. This happened twice.

I have a 3.4ghz Pentium 4 with 2gb of ram and 90gb of hard disk and I am running Windows xp sp3 Professional

ATR
December 24th, 2009, 04:41 PM
How much of that 2 GB RAM is available and is your computer virtual memory controlled by Windows or your own settings?

How many of those MPEG2 1280 x 720 avi have you loaded into Premiere Elements 8 before the crash/close? How much Timeline time does the total represent?

Have you disabled Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features of Premiere Elements 8?

Use the Windows XP Task Manager Performance to evaluate your computer memory.

ATR

egitelman@ieee.org
December 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I have 288mb left. There are 18 720x480avi files from Adobe Premiere Elements Classroom in a book. I have disabled background rendering. There is auto analyzer activity.

Before I disabled background rendering I crashed no matter what I did.

After I disabled background rendering pre8 crashed as I was moving to organize and edit and windows/properties. No matter what I do pre8 crashes.

Windows is controlling virtual memory.

The timeline is 1 hour 55 minutes.

ATR
December 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM
egitelman

Disable AutoAnalyzer in addition to that Background Rendering. To do that, go to the Elements Organizer Tab in row below the Organize Tab at the top. In the Elements Organizer go to Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer Options and disable it.

If you have 2 GB installed RAM, you probably have far less than that available. This has all the sound of a resource issue, but let us see. Any chance, increasing your installed RAM to 4 GB total?

1. Disable AutoAnalyzer. If that works, great.
2. If not, go to Control Panel/Display/Settings/Advanced/Troubleshoot/ and move the Hardware Acceleration slider to NONE. See if that helps, if not, go back and move the slider back to Full.
3. Instead of 18 avi files, try bringing in 9 avi files instead of 18. If that does not work, try 4 avi files.
4. Check through the Premiere Elements 8 issues in the Sticky Thread at the top of this forum
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52204

If you were heading for DVD-VIDEO with that 1 hour 55 minute Timeline, you would have too much. For the standard DVD disc (4.7 GB/120 minutes), recommended 60 to 90 minute Timeline for burn to that disc.

Please check out the above and let me know what is happening.

Thanks.

ATR

egitelman@ieee.org
December 24th, 2009, 09:33 PM
The most I can install is 2gb with Windopws xp.

I have done all the disabling you recommended. I also reset the vm settings to let Window manage memory. I also closed all the web browsers to minmize use of ram.

The reason I have all the avi files open in PRE8 is because I am following the instructions in the Adobe Book for PRE8 -Classroom in a book. I have no intension of making a dvd. i am just trying to learn how to use PRE8 in parrticur the editing functions-like trimming, color adjustment etc from the book.

After, I closed all the browser windows except this on things got a little more stable. I will monitor the situation to see if I get more crashes.

While I am writing this, with just this browser window open I have available memory of 1.2gb. Elements and PRE are running with the 18 avi clips opened. I suspect that the rendering and auto analyzer may have been eating up ram. I also disabled GPU.

One thing I noticed before is when I had PSE and Pre open with all 18 avi files open, but rendering and autoanalyzer enabled that the performance monitor kept on showing a steady decrease of available ram even though
there were no new programs or browser windows running. This was strange. Do you think that the background rendering was eating up ram?

I wnat to thank you for your help and wish you Happy Holidays and Happy New year.

Eph Gitelman

P.S.

I was in the computer business for 35 years and managed many hardware and software groups. I built mainframes, pcs, color monitors,and computer terminals and other computer base products. I really appreciate your help in troubleshooting these problems since I spent a good part of my computer career dealing with customer troubleshooting problems

egitelman@ieee.org
December 24th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Just after I posted the previous reply PRE8 crashed again!!!

I have been reading user comments on Amazons web site uder Premiere Elements 8 purchases (url-http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-Premiere-Elements-8/dp/B002IJA1DC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1261713382&sr=8-1.)

It seems that my problems with PRE8 are not unique and slow downs and crashes are common. The latest problem of crashes makes PRE8 unuseable. The other problems of dealing with AVCHD lite and conversions of mov to mpeg are minor compared to these crashes. I am just wondering given all the time you and I have spent dealing with PRE8 problems whether I should throw in the towel and forget about using PRE8. What are your thougts?

ATR
December 24th, 2009, 10:43 PM
egitelman

Premiere Elements 8 has presented challenges and all sorts of problems. But many users have found answers to cope with them..here and at other forums.

Do not give up just yet. First let us work on your computer:
a. Do you have an external hard drive (formatted NTFS, not FAT32) as part of your setup? If so, then make sure that you direct the scratch files (previews), project.prel, source media, video storage there, but the Premiere Elements 8 program files stay on the C Local Drive with the rest of the computer software program files. Do a super clean up/optimization of your computer.
b. What happened when you tried to cut down the project time? One hour and 55 minutes Timeline is not the way to start out when you have only about 1 GB available RAM...I would build to that rather than start with that (in spite of what the book is generalizing about). That test could give us some valuable information.
c. Take a look at the AdobeTech Note on Troubleshooting for Freezes and Errors in Premiere Elements 8
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/514/cpsid_51427.html
d. See if your own virtual memory settings work better than letting Windows control virtual memory...If I recall I think the minimum is 1.5 x the installed RAM amount. If you need a link to the Microsoft recommendation on that please let me know. But I suspect that you have that already. I went down that road and ended up leaving Windows in control. In addition, I have disabled all the startup programs, except Microsoft Services.
e. Have you read through those Sticky Threads at the top of this forum, especially the ones dealing with the involvement of Thread Optimization feature of the NVIDIA card?
f. Some have noted that when all is said and done that Premiere Elements 8 running on a clean Windows 7 fares the best, but...
g. There is no one answer to stopping the crashes. We need to systematically attack the issue, using one fix at a time that have been shared with us by all those afflicted and found there way to success.

I will stay with you on this until you say otherwise.

ATR

egitelman@ieee.org
December 25th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I am still working the issue. I imported one of my own videos of about 15 minutes. They are m2ts clips. I downloaded the speed up patch. Everything is stable now.

The classroom ina book avi files were only a total of two minutes long. I misread the time line.

I will let you know if I have more crashes.

ATR
December 25th, 2009, 08:48 PM
egitelman

You will do just fine. Just keep your computer defragmented and watch for and clear way files that pile up on your local drive and are not really needed.

Yesterday I had a rough time with Photoshop Elements 8. It was slow and crash prone. It was driving me crazy since I was in a hurry to finish a project there. I stopped to clear away all files from the local drive that were not absolutely necessary. Matters improved. The program spontaneously imploding to the Desktop stopped happening every time I tried to print. I forgot that I had downloaded some large files and had not yet moved them to the external hard drive. My resources are limited, but I can acchieve a lot just by making the most of what I have with a variety of techniques, such a file management and defragmentation and an assist from virtual memory.

I will be watching for your progress.

ATR

tpherson
December 26th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I recently installed PE8 on a Dell Dual core with 4 gig ram and Vista Premiere. I started working with 2 files I imported from video tape which were in MPG format. There is a total of about 2 1/2 hours video, total of about 10 Gig. It was probably a mistake to start and learn with these files, but I'm into the project so am trudging forward. The program was crashing constantly at first, and was quite frustrating. I gave up for a while and came backj and things seemed to go pretty smoothly, then more crashes. What I found is this. I set the project to be in full HD, as I wanted to auther this on Bluray. I found the program was background rendering the file, and the progress could be noted on the timeline by a thin green and red line. I assume this is converting the standard resolution files to full HD. What would happen is when I tried to edit any portion of the timeline that was not yet rendered the program would crash. This background rendering is extremely slow. It has been running for about 24 hours now and about 1 hour of the video has been rendered.

Obviously I am still learning, I've only ever used Windows Movie Maker but found once they were exported to DVD I lost a lot of quality of my video, so I decided to try this program. I'm pretty patient, so I guess the time it takes isn't too big of a deal. I can just let it keep running in the background. I am hoping the HD video from my new camcorder with be more compatible (AVCHD?) and not require the amount of rendering these old videos require (I assume to upconvert to HD).

Anyway, has anyone else found that editing the unrendered portion causes crashes? Can turning off the background rendering resolve this? I don't want to make any changes untill I finish with this first project.

ATR
December 26th, 2009, 09:19 AM
tpherson

I will be back later to comment on your overall thread. But for now:

a. please start your own thread...problems that sound alike may have difference causes...

b. you need to read through the threads here, especially the ones dealing with Premiere Elements 8 crashes (Sticky Threads at top of forum as well as the details in the thread that you are in now)

c. Disabling Background Rendering and the AutoAnalzyer features are a MUST, especially when you are just starting with the program. Looking for NVIDIA card possible conflicts is also a MUST.

Just a few words about Background Rendering....DV AVI is the native format of the Premiere Elements Timeline. This should not have a red line over it when the DV AVI video is on the Timeline. A red line over the Timeline means that, to get the best possible preview of the end product, you need to render the Timeline in the Edit Mode by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard. This does not impact quality. It is especially useful when you are working with transitions, titles, effects, and non DV AVI content. Rendering of the Timeline is not required, but it is your window of opportunity to catch a problem before you go through the export stage.

When red line left over Timeline in Edit Mode, some typical scenarios might be:
Looks bad in Edit Mode Monitor, export looks good
Looks good in Edit Mode Monitor, export looks bad
Looks good in Edit Mode Monitor, export looks good
Looks bad in Edit Mode Monitor, export looks bad
When green line over Timeline in Edit Mode (because DV AVI or the non DV AVI Timeline was rendered), what you see is what you should get for the export.

Before Premiere Elements 8, you decided when you wanted or did not want to render the Timeline as above. The Background Rendering feature in Premiere Elements 8 is the "automatic" version of all this. When enabled, it is constantly looking for an idle moment to render the Timeline to give you the best possible preview of what you have. It can be time consuming and make great demands on the system.

Another offshoot of this rendering business (on command or with Background Rendering feature) is that each time you do this type of render preview files keep piling up in the Adobe Folder, taking up hard drive space. So, it is a good idea to direct these preview files (scratch files) to an external hard drive.

But, please read through the threads here.

To be continued....

ATR