PDA

View Full Version : Premiere Elements, Canon FS200 and .MOD

jl_678
December 23rd, 2009, 08:12 PM
Hi,

I am a user of a very old version of Premiere Elements (v2.0). I have been happy with the program and have seen little need to upgrade until recently. I just purchased a Canon FS200 camera that creates and saves .MOD files on an SD Card. I can rename the .MOD's to .MPG's and they play fine in Windows Media Player, but PE2 butchers them when writing to a CD. As it stands I can make PE2 work, by converting the MOD's to AVI's, but that is a slow and annoying process. This brings me to my question, if I were to purchase the latest version of PE, could I natively import and edit the .MODs? The FS200 is not listed on the compatibility list and so wanted to check with users.

Thank you!

JL

ATR
December 23rd, 2009, 09:28 PM
JL

We need to iron out some details. But, first let me tell you that MOD files create problems even in the latest version, Premiere Elements 8, and typically require the workaround of converting them with MPEG Streamclip to DV AVI and then importing the DV AVI version into Premiere Elements. Have you been using MPEG Streamclip to obtain .avi from your .mod?

If you do go the renaming the file extension route (.mod to .mpg), you may or may not find that works for widescreen because of problems with the transfer of "moi" file with its .mod file. The "moi" files contain the 16:9 flag information needed for the widescreen. In the latter case, many have used the SD copy program which takes care of the file extension renaming and the 16:9 flag issue.

I can rename the .MOD's to .MPG's and they play fine in Windows Media Player, but PE2 butchers them when writing to a CD.

What do you mean by "...when writing to a CD". You cannot burn to CD from within Premiere Elements 2 or any other version of Premiere Elements.

I hope that the above helped. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on anything that I have written here.

ATR

jl_678
December 24th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Hi and thank you for your answer. To address your first question, yes I am using MPEG Streamclip. It is a great program and the batch conversion feature is a godsend. Too bad about the .MOD issue. I noticed that PE appears to support JVC .MOD in the compatibility matrix and was hoping that they had similar latent support for Canon.

Regarding 16:9 widescreen, I had not paid attention to that and just realized that my resulting videos are 4:3. To be frank, I am fine with that since most TV's it will be played on are 4:3. I will check out SD copy. Just to be clear, it appears that you run SD Copy on the .MOD first and then still need MPEG Streamclip to convert to AVI. Correct?

Finally, my point about writing to a "CD" was a typo; you are right. I have actually tried writing to a CD in the past and it spits a bizarre error. (On a side note, I love the intuitive error pop-up that simply says "R" when you try to burn to a CD. Who thought of that highly informative error message? :)) I meant to say "DVD"; sorry about the confusion.

ATR
December 24th, 2009, 09:58 AM
jl_678

First, bravo for picking up on the meaning of the error message "R".

I posted about that a long time ago, still you can find online posts asking "Why am I getting an "R" error message when I try to burn to disc in Premiere Elements?" The tell all hint from the program is, when that "R" message pops up, the DVD burner tray automatically pops open. HOWEVER, I take issue with the program on its timing to give you the message, namely toward the end rather than the beginning of the burn to disc process.

As for the workarounds....
Just to be clear, it appears that you run SD Copy on the .MOD first and then still need MPEG Streamclip to convert to AVI. Correct?
If you use SD Copy which takes care of the .mod to .mpg and 16:9 flag issue, and there is still a problem with that SD Copy generated .mpg in Premiere Elements, just use the original .mod file and convert it to DV AVI with the MPEG Streamclip, followed by bringing the DV AVI to Premiere Elements Get Media/Files and Folders.Just use SD Copy OR MPEG Streamclip, not both.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Keep up the good work.

ATR
(Apparently there is a high definition version of .mod. That is the .tod file. Questions on them and Premiere Elements are starting to surface. More on that another time.)