PDA

View Full Version : Another Widescreen Issue

Stubchain
December 22nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
I have posted before about widescreen issues relating to MOD files from my Panasonic video camera. I was using XP and when viewing the footage in windows media player it did not recognise the widescreen format.

Using a small program called SD Copy rectified this issue.

I have just purchased a new Dell PC with Windows 7, I took a quick video copied it to the new PC and ran it with WMP 12. The video ran in full widescreen mode and looks great.

New machine called for an upgrade in software so I purchased the Premiere Elements 8 and Photoshop Elements 8 package.

I dropped the MOD file into PE8 and to my dismay it does not show up as widescreen and is squashed. Is it back to SD Copy or does anyone know a work around. I'm sure if microsoft could fix the problem then so can Adobe.

ATR
December 23rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
Stubchain

Premiere Elements 8 vs earlier versions...the "MOD syndrome" situation remains the same, with the same workarounds if and when needed...
a. rename the .mod to .mpg
or
b. use SDcopy to name the .mod to .mpg...and, has the added perk of addressing the 16:9 flag issue for widescreen for the MOD files.

New machine called for an upgrade in software so I purchased the Premiere Elements 8 and Photoshop Elements 8 package.
The Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility List shows for Premiere Elements 8 - recommended upgrade. However, there are many reports out there for Premiere Elements 7 users successfully running Premiere Elements 7 in a Windows 7 computer environment.

Have you gotten into any work with those TOD files which are supposed to be the high definition version of the standard MOD files?

ATR

Stubchain
December 25th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Changing the file extention from MOD to MPG does not change anything.

It looks like Microsoft has got their act together with this issue but Adobe has not or will not. Here is a run down.

Dropping the mod files to my hard drive, Windows 7 now sees them in the correct aspect ratio (including the thumbnail view). They are also correct in WMP 12. The same applies if the extentions are changed to MPG.

PE8 does not recognise these files as widescreen.

Using SD Copy the files show up in Windows 7 and WMP 12 slightly stretched and out of aspect ration (opposite of before). However these converted files show up correct in PE8.

The only option I can see at the moment is to have both versions of the files, pretty crazy.

My feeling is that Adobe is at fault here and should fix up the problem. We should not need third party software to add video to PE8. It would not be hard for them to convert the files on the fly when adding to the programme.

ATR
December 25th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Stubchain

Have you explored this avenue....given that you have .mod files (widescreen version) renamed to .mpg by you, not SDCopy. You bring the .mpg (widescreen) into Premiere Elements 8 with a project preset (new project dialog) = NTSC DV Widescreen.

You say
PE8 does not recognise these files as widescreen.So, what happens if you right click the .mpg file in the Project Media view, select Interpret Footage, and, in the Interpret Footage dialog, dot the Conform to: and change the pixel aspect ratio set = D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2)? Have we talked about that previously?

Also you say
Using SD Copy the files show up in Windows 7 and WMP 12 slightly stretched and out of aspect ration (opposite of before). However these converted files show up correct in PE8.In WMP 10, there is an adjust for aspect ratio. Is there one in WMP 12? If so, have you tried adjusting that?

As an aside,
Until now weren't we believing that you needed SDCopy because of failure of the .moi file (with video 16:9 flag data) to transfer with its .mod file (with video). I find it curious that you find that WMP12 recognizes the widescreen of the .mod files without any involvement from SDCopy. If the .moi (with the aspect ratio data is missing) then where is WMP12 getting the widescreen flag?

To be continued.....

ATR

Stubchain
December 26th, 2009, 06:27 AM
WMP 12 is definitely picking up the MOD files as widescreen on its own without the moi being present.

I was using XP with PE4 and that had WMP 10 none of it recognised the widescreen flag without SD Copy.

Windows 7 with WMP 12 does but PE8 does not. I am using a PAL system not NTSC.

I'm not a computer programmer but it seems to me that if Microsoft can fix this problem why can't Adobe, after all it has been round for quite a while.

How hard can it be, import an MOD file into PE in the right aspect ratio, is it really that difficult. I don't think consumers should have to resort to third party programs or undertake relatively complicated configurations just to look at a file in widescreen.

I dropped an MOD file into Windows Movie Maker without the moi file and it showed up in the correct aspect ratio, so it can be done.

I might as well just have the two vesions of the videos, to me it looks the simple option as opposed to changing the format and looking at interpreting footage etc.

Do you know if anyone from Adobe reads this forum, because if they do please do something about it.

It is so frustrating that something so simple is being ignored by Adobe.

ATR
December 26th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Stubchain

As you may know, Adobe does not own nor operate this web site. And, I have no evidence that it reads the posts here. So, with regard to comments about what it should or should not be built into its software (or unsupported claims), you need to contact Adobe direct:
Customer Service
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html
Adobe Bug Report
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Now back to the .mod video files. From what I have been led to believe about those files, for your widescreen that you describe, they are standard definition 720 x 480 which have the directive 16:9 flag and other data in the accompanying .moi file, not within the .mod file itself. And, lack of recognition of widescreen by any program has been reported to be due to transfer of the .moi along with its .mod.

Given that you have transferred your video from the camcorder to the computer and all these programs (Windows Media Player 12, Windows Movie Maker, and Premiere Elements) are working from the same source media saved to the computer hard drive, how is Windows Media Player 12 and Windows Movie Maker pulling off the recognition of the video recorded as widescreen if the .moi file is not there???

Have you contacted the manufacturer of your camcorder about .mod and .moi and their transfer to the computer, especially the widescreen type. It would be interesting to learn what it has to say about that. Do you think that the .mod and .moi really do transfer together and that some programs just do not recognize .moi? Or you think that with some transfers of this type of video, the .moi is not transferred at all with its .mod from the camcorder to the computer?

Not to add "fuel to the fire", the problematic nature of .mod with Premiere Elements is not confined to this widescreen issue that you present. For example, have you seen the recent reports (epidemics) of "green video" in Premiere Elements?

It is so frustrating that something so simple is being ignored by Adobe.

Using SD Copy the files show up in Windows 7 and WMP 12 slightly stretched and out of aspect ration (opposite of before). However these converted files show up correct in PE8.

The combination of quotes from your last posts in this thread suggests to me that the solution to the problem may not be as simple as you suggest it might be.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

Stubchain
December 26th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I am begining to think the MOI files are pretty irrelevant. SD Copy converts the MOD files as a stand alone so all the data must be in the MOD files.

I have just done some tests with WMP 12 and Windows Movie Maker, they both pick up the MOD's as widescreen and the MOI file has never been copied or even near my PC. So the data is definitely embedded in the MOD file.

ATR
December 26th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Stubchain

I would need more information before feeling comfortable about all this. But, say that the .moi is embedded with the .mod file. Then do we think that some programs can read the .moi embed and some cannot? Or, are .moi files that house the 16:9 flag data and other video information just figments of someone's imagination?

There are a lot of things online that get written in stone prematurely. Could this be one of them? Still wish one of us could have a heart to heart talk with JVC people about how they are recording video as .mod widescreen.

ATR

Stubchain
December 26th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks ATR

When I looked at the properties of both files all of the relevant data is definitely in the MOD file, this includes date, time and aspect ratio etc.. I'm beginning to think that the function of the MOI files is purely for the camera itself, maybe for the thumbnail view etc.

As far as I can make out all the info is embedded in the MOD, when I right click the file and look at properties it included video length, aspect ratio, bitrate, date/time and metatag data.

In contrast the MOI properties shows up virtually nothing, what ever it does it has nothing to do with the computer side of things as far as I can tell.

ATR
December 27th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Stubchain

Thanks for the additional information.

I will continue to look into this and report back.

ATR