PDA

View Full Version : hd jpeg video

egitelman@ieee.org
December 22nd, 2009, 10:39 AM
I have a Panasonic DMC fz35 camera. I shot a clip in HD jpeg(1280x720p,30fps). When I opened up the clip on my pc it opened ss a .mov file. Why did it open as a .mov file? I opened the clip in PRE8 and it worked ok.

I converted the .mov file to mpeg2 using a free converter. When I opened it in PRE8 it displayed as all red and I could not preview it. Why did it display ih all red?

ATR
December 22nd, 2009, 02:11 PM
egitelman

I shot a clip in HD jpeg(1280x720p,30fps). When I opened up the clip on my pc it opened ss a .mov file. Why did it open as a .mov file?

It opened as a .mov file because that is what that Panasonic setting is offering, namely, a QuickTime .mov wrapper which contains video compression = MotionJPEG. You did well to get that to play back in Premiere Elements 8. Often video with that video codec is problematic in Premiere Elements and installation of the Morgan codec is a typically workaround for that. Apparently you escaped that pitfall.

I converted the .mov file to mpeg2 using a free converter. When I opened it in PRE8 it displayed as all red and I could not preview it. Why did it display in all red?

On that question I would need more details. What converter did you use and what were your settings? What is the file extension of this converted product?

I would like you to take that converted product into the free utility called gspot to see exactly what you have in the way of video codec and if that utilities tells us that the codecs are installed.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

There were recent reports of "red video" with high definition mpeg-4 video, so I want to make sure exactly what you converted the .mov to. Please give all the properties of the converted product, including:
a. file extension
b. video/audio codecs
c. what gspot has to say about codecs installed
d. frame size and frame rate

This is the link to the red video thread to which I was referring. Check out APK toward the end of the thread.
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52004&page=3

I will be watching for your further details.

ATR

ATR
December 22nd, 2009, 02:59 PM
egitelman

Add On...

I forgot to ask you "What happens if you have your MotionJPEG.mov from the Panasonic FZ35 on the Premiere Elements 8 Timeline (you say it plays OK in the Edit Mode Monitor), go to Share and burn it to disc, DVD-VIDEO widescreen format on a DVD disc? Is the DVD-VIDEO playback characterized by red video??

ATR

egitelman@ieee.org
December 22nd, 2009, 05:34 PM
I used free video convert 2.5.0.0 I believe this is Koyote
The file extension is .mpg

Gspot reports the following:

Container
MPEG-1 System Stream << { 1 vid, 1 aud }
Sys Bitrate: 10080 kb/s VBR
AC3 Audio codec
xbd[0x80]:48000Hz 448 kb/s tot , stereo (2/0)
Codec(s) Installed

The following is on the right side of gspot:
Video
Codec mpeg2 Name mpeg2
Status =codecs are installed
Frames 29.97 Pics/s 29.97
pic 128x720
sar 16x9

The mov file burned to disk plays on Wind Media Player as vob file.
The mpeg file (red on PRE8) burned to disk also plays on Wind Media player as a DVD file

ATR
December 22nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
egitelman

The mov file burned to disk plays on Wind Media Player as vob file.
The mpeg file (red on PRE8) burned to disk also plays on Wind Media player as a DVD

Just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly...
a. the Premiere Elements 8 generated DVD-VIDEO version of either the .mov (original) or .mpeg (converted) plays back in good quality, no red video, using DVD-VIDEO playback of the Windows Media Player....TV DVD player also??

b. it is only the Premiere Elements 8 Edit Mode Monitor view that shows the red video? If you go to create menus and click on Preview, is the Preview there also displaying red video? If you go Edit Menu/Preferences/General and disable "Enable GPU Playback", does the red video problem disappear?

I have some that I am going to try in Premiere Elements 8 right now and will be back within the hour. Depending on your answers and the results of my mini test that I am going to perform, would it be possible for you to post a sample clip the way you did for the AVCHD-Lite version?

To be continued....

ATR

ATR
December 22nd, 2009, 08:18 PM
egitelman

Work still in progress here, but you need not go through the trouble of posting a problem video from your Panasonic.

I have reproduced the red video problem here, using source media unrelated to Panasonic, their Koyote Soft conversion products (MPEG-2 1280 x 720 30 frames per second), Premiere Elements 8.

Right now I am thinking that this has nothing to do with Panasonic, Koyote Soft, but rather how Premiere Elements 8 handles high definition mpeg 1280 x 720 formats. But, too early to put a label on this yet.

I will report my findings within the next few hours before I call it a day.

ATR

ATR
December 22nd, 2009, 10:13 PM
egitelman

For my test I used a video clip with video compression = Windows Media Video 9 and file extension .wmv, frame size = 720 x 480, 29.97 frames per second, file size 16.6 MB, duration 1 minute and 28 seconds.

1. Koyote Soft Free Converter Settings
Output Format: MPEG-2
Video
Codec: MPEG-2
Size: 1280 x 720
Aspect: 16:9
Fps: 29.97
Bitrate: 2496 kbps
Deinterlace: left unchecked
Audio
Codec: AC3
Frequency: 44100
Channel: Stereo
Bitrate: 224
This converted file had a file extension of .mpg
RED VIDEO IN PREMIERE ELEMENTS 8 EDIT MODE MONITOR

2. Koyote Soft Free Converter Settings
Output Format: DVD (NTSC format)
VIDEO
Codec: MPEG-2
Size: 720 x 480
Bitrate: 5760 kbps
Deinterlace was left unchecked
AUDIO
Frequency: 48000
Bitrate: 448
This converted file had a file extension of .VOB
NO RED VIDEO IN PREMIERE ELEMENTS 8 EDIT MODE MONITOR, DISPLAYED VIDEO

3. Koyote Soft Free Converter Settings
Output Format: AVI
VIDEO
Codec: H.264
Size: 1280 x 720
Bitrate: 1152 kbps
AUDIO
Frequency: 44100
Bitrate: 128
This converted file had a file extension of .AVI
NO RED VIDEO IN PREMIERE ELEMENTS EDIT MODE MONITOR, DISPLAYED VIDEO

Based on the above, I would say that the compatibility or lack there of resides in the wrapper used for the 1280 x 720 video. And, based on your results and those of APK, I suspect that the problem goes to the use of wrappers in the .mpg family for these 1280 x 720 videos and is independant of the converter. But more work needs to be done. His camera was recording HD .mp4. You are not recording .mpg or .mp4, but are forcing yourself into it instead of using the .mov of Panasonic. Why is that?

Please take a look at the Output Formats used in the examples above and see if the Output Formats of DVD (NTSC) or AVI among others could meet your project needs.

By the way, I found that the Timeline red video when taken through the burn to disc process produced a DVD-VIDEO with red video. Please clarify what you got since I thought I understood you to write that the Edit Mode monitor was the ONLY place you saw the red video. Also, maybe a little clarification on why you are going to conversion of the original Panasonic video (video codec: MotionJPEG.mov) which you say has no problems on the Premiere Elements 8 Timeline.

ATR
(My work on your AVCHD-Lite exports is still in progress.)

egitelman@ieee.org
December 22nd, 2009, 11:32 PM
I record in the FZ35 using hd jpeg which is 1280x720p, 30fps. I tried this to see if I should stop using avchd lite because of the editing problems.
When I copy the clip from the sdhc card to my pc the file is stored as a .mov file. I can't control this. I tried converting to mpeg figuring it was a tried and true extension that PRE8 could work with.

I burned the mpeg red file from the sceneline. When I disable the gnu function I still get red. When I view the mpeg ile in the Photoshop Elements organizer the clip displays normally. The mpeg file only goes red in PRE8.

I cannot get the mpeg file to display on the timeline.

I uploaded the mpeg file. I could not upload the .mov filebecause it is not an acceptable extension for attachments. I got a message saying it lacks a security key.

When I try to move the red mpeg file to the monitor I get black. When I hit preview I get black.

ATR
December 22nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
I am using my laptop right now since I have my Desktop computer tied up with another project for another user.

That Panasonic is only offering MotionJPEG.mov OR AVCHD-Lite with that .m2ts file extension (as I recall). That is what the camcorder records.

Can you import the MotionJPEG.mov into Premiere Elements 8 and get the end product that you want without problem? If so, do that so that you do not get detoured to an endless avenue.

If you have to convert the MotionJPEG.mov for some good reason and you are heading for DVD-VIDEO in Premiere Elements 8, then consider the Koyote conversion to DVD (NTSC) widescreen.

This non AVCHD-Lite route that you are on now could be very productive for you if you do not get detoured in these conversions...unless you have a good reason for them.

To be continued....

ATR

ATR
December 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
egitelman

Have you seen the following link from the Premiere Elements User to User Forum at Adobe

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2335268

I am going to try the equivalent of the mpg4 to qt file extension renaming with your MPEG-2 .mpg that is displaying red video and see what happens.

I just tried it and it does not work to correct the situation for the MPEG2 1280 x 1080 display in Premiere Elements 8.

ATR