PDA

View Full Version : Autoplay and Dvd menu together

silybear
December 19th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Hi.

I would like to make a dvd that auto plays an opening sequence and then shows the dvd menu. Is there a way to do this? Adobe Premeire Elements 8.0.

Thank you.

Jennifer

ATR
December 19th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Jennifer

You cannot do what you want to do all within Premiere Elements (any version).

Several have reported getting the job done with Premiere Elements burn to folder versions coupled with using the free software Pgcedit and a 3rd party burn software.
http://download.videohelp.com/r0lz/pgcedit/

The following 2007 thread from here may give you some ideas.
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30487
Check the links within the link as well as the primary link.

We will be looking forward to your progress.

ATR

silybear
December 19th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Thank you for your timely response. I will give all of that a try if I can't do my other thought which is.....I used one of the menu templates to put my opening video in as the background for the menu, is there a way to make the menu buttons fade in after this 1 minute clip has played in the background?

Or....is there a way to add buttons to different positions in the movie that will halt the show until a button is clicked. Maybe if I explain what I'm doing that will help.

You see, I created a slideshow in PowerPoint that I am trying to convert to a dvd. In my PPT show I have two slides that play as the opening sequence and then a "PLAY" button softly fades in so that the user can click play when they are finished reading and observing the material in the opening sequence.

ATR
December 19th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Jennifer

I am following up on a few ideas related to your last post.

But, I just want make sure that I have not drifted off path...

you have 2 slides that you want your viewer to see before the major presentation..YES NO?

if the above is correct, after viewing the 2 slides, do you want your viewer to "play all" and/or go to a scene selection page to pick and choose?

ATR

silybear
December 20th, 2009, 12:08 AM
"you have 2 slides that you want your viewer to see before the major presentation..YES NO?"

technically yes, but as they are now set up in Premiere Elements it would be a video sequence which, I can use as a background in a menu template if, it will be allowed to play for aproximately a minute (I think premiere only allows 30 seconds for a background video in a menu) I am extremely new to premiere. I usually use WMM or AVS.

"if the above is correct, after viewing the 2 slides, do you want your viewer to "play all" and/or go to a scene selection page to pick and choose?"

Well, in my PPT show it is a play all because I can,and did, add menus at the end of the show for bonus material. If I can add buttons that link to other portions of the movie in premiere right in the timeline that would be cool but I'm thinking that's not possible so, in that case, I guess I would want to go to a scene selection page after the "two slides" or video sequence.

This dvd is a memorial with video, narration, pics and background music. The opening has text that scrolls with narration then, a beautiful pic of a blue sky fades in with a pic of the person who has passed in the clouds. On this same pic, several lines of text slowly fade in about 2 seconds apart revealing a poem. After the poem I would like my play button to fade in so that the viewer has all the time they need to view the pic and poem. Having the play button sit on the pic throughout the reveal of the poem is very distracting and removes some of the emotion associated with this sequence. Keeping this show in PPT doesn't allow everyone to be able to view the show. Using WMM or AVS doesn't allow for some of the effects I was able to build in PPT. I'm at my wits end...lol

Any advice is greatly appreciated but if the pcgedit is my only option I guess I'll have to give that a try.

ATR
December 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Jennifer

Take a look at the following which may or may not be acceptable for your purposes, but it does seem to meet the criteria that you set originally. It involves modifying the .psd of an existing DVD Menu Template to accommodate 2 intro slides, followed by the presentation itself.

For this example I used the DVD Menu Template Blue Notes under the Entertainment category.
(Always work with copy and not the original .psd that you will find in the Premiere Elements 8 program files (Adobe/Premiere Elements 8/DVD Templates).

These menus come as a set, main menu and scene menu. MAKE SURE YOU ARE WORKING FROM COPIES HERE. MOVE ORIGINALS TO DESKTOP FOR SAFE KEEPING.

1. Scene Menu modification. Open bluenotes_pal_s_sm.psd in Photoshop Elements 8 Full Editor or Photoshop.
a. For the Layer Set “(+) scene 1”, just turn off the visibility icon for: layer (=1) highlight, layer (%), and layer “scene 1 copy”. Leave as is the layer set folder designated (^^).
b. Turn off the visibility icon for Layer Sets “(+) scene 2” and “(+) scene 3”. (at the layer set group level).
At this stage, we should be left with text blocks for
“Movie Title Here” (when we are in Premiere Elements 8 Create Menus, we can rename this as the title for intro slide 2 before the presentation)
“Main” (when we are in Premiere Elements 8 Create Menus, we will use this button for the viewer to return to the intro slide 1 if the info is needed before going onto the presentation from intro slide 2)
“Scene 1” (when we are in Premiere Elements 8 Create Menus, we will rename this to “Presentation” to open the presentation)

2. Main Menu modification. Open bluenotes_pal_mm.psd in Photoshop Elements 8 Full Editor or Photoshop.
a. Delete the Play Movie Layer Set. You could try just turning off it’s visibility icon, but some times that does not work.
b. Turn off visibility icon for Layer Set “(+) main menu”
c. Leave the “Scenes button” as is (when we are in Premiere Elements 8 Create Menu, we will rename this from “Scenes” to “Next” to get to the intro slide 2 where the presentation will be launched by pressing a button that we will have named Presentation.

3. Premiere Elements 8 Project, assumed NTSC DV Standard,
a. Place your slides for the “Presentation” on the Timeline, placing a scene marker (green) at the beginning of that Timeline.
b. Go to Create Menus section and replace the backgrounds for the Blue Notes Main Menu and Scene Menu with intro slide 1 and intro slide 2 respectively.
c. Edit your text blocks as suggested above and position the text blocks accordingly.

See what that looks like. This two page menu arrangement should have
a. for first page, intro slide 1 title at top and, at bottom right, a Next button.
b. for second page, intro slide 2 title at top and, at bottom right, a Presentation button. At the bottom far left is the “Main” button if a return to “intro slide 1” is needed at this stage before hitting Presentation.

As for fading DVD buttons in Premiere Elements, it is not a feature. You may find it in a program such as DVD Architect. Encore DVD may or may not be able to do it directly. We need to do more homework on that.

ATR

ATR
December 20th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Jennifer

Just an add on reading material, dealing with your type of question, Encore DVD, and "illusions"....
http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5055

ATR

silybear
December 20th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Wow...that's quite a task that will take me some time to follow. I will let you know how it goes but it might be a while. Once again thank you for a timely response and all your help.

ATR
December 20th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Jennifer

Looking forward to your results when you get the time.

ATR

silybear
December 26th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Hi ATR,

So here's the latest. I am going to have to use the "play first" feature in my dvd software as both my slides 1 and 2 are just a little bit longer than 30 seconds and Premiere Elements won't fully play a video in the background on the menu longer than 29.95 seconds. I'm not willing to cut my time down. Also, a background video on the menu, loops. There may be a way to turn that off but I haven't really played with that since I am not going to use this feature now anyway. I never knew about the "play first setting until I followed one of the links you gave me. Thank you very much for that. Now the only thing left is to work on the menu button fade in illusion. Thank you for that as well. You have been very helpful.

ATR
December 27th, 2009, 09:22 AM
silybear

as both my slides 1 and 2 are just a little bit longer than 30 seconds and Premiere Elements won't fully play a video in the background on the menu longer than 29.95 seconds.

I think that what you just wrote pointed to some miscommunication. Previously you mentioned slides which in my mind are still images, not video. So, I supplied suggestions accordingly. But, now you seem to be using the terms slides 1 and 2 interchangably with video. The 30 second looping limitation applies when you replace the DVD Menu background with video or audio, not still images.

What DVD software did you decide to use to acchieve your DVD Menu goals?

ATR