PDA

View Full Version : Asking question, testing image inclusion

grindy
December 18th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Hi,
I've wanted to have a way to include a partial screenshot with my posts for a while now, and ATR has been kind enough to point me in the right direction for this.

So, here is the "test" and if the image is shown below, then my question is:

http://www.pixentral.com/hosted/1wLh30HwrcK8g7WOvfrEm6x3rze70_thumb.jpg (http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1wLh30HwrcK8g7WOvfrEm6x3rze70)

What is this area representing?

:eek:

ATR
December 18th, 2009, 08:05 PM
That is a good one.

First, with the Timeline and video tracks 1 and 2 as shown, what are you seeing in the Edit Mode Monitor?

Did you actually physically drag any media (video with or without audio) ever to video track 2? And, if so, was it the same format as the .mov video on video track 1? What were you doing in the program when the video track 1 gray fill in appeared?

Your video has a .mov file extension, so what are the codecs housed in that wrapper?

In spite of all the questions above which may have nothing to do with what I suspect, here is my first shot at this. What happens if you right click that gray patch? Do you get a small pop up that say "Delete and Close Gap"???? I do not see any thing on video track 2 at the right edge of the "gray clip" (adjacent to arrow) that would support what I suspect, but you could have a tiny sliver of a clip there.... But let us see what you have to say about all this.

Please let me know what right clicking the "gray clip" on video track 2 gets you.

ATR

grindy
December 18th, 2009, 08:57 PM
That is a good one.

First, with the Timeline and video tracks 1 and 2 as shown, what are you seeing in the Edit Mode Monitor?

Did you actually physically drag any media (video with or without audio) ever to video track 2? And, if so, was it the same format as the .mov video on video track 1? What were you doing in the program when the video track 1 gray fill in appeared?

Your video has a .mov file extension, so what are the codecs housed in that wrapper?

In spite of all the questions above which may have nothing to do with what I suspect, here is my first shot at this. What happens if you right click that gray patch? Do you get a small pop up that say "Delete and Close Gap"???? I do not see any thing on video track 2 at the right edge of the "gray clip" (adjacent to arrow) that would support what I suspect, but you could have a tiny sliver of a clip there.... But let us see what you have to say about all this.

Please let me know what right clicking the "gray clip" on video track 2 gets you.

ATR

Well, I wish I could answer your good questions here, but alas, it's too late. By the time I got back to your answer, i had already managed to delete whatever it was... Sorry for wasting your time, but no doubt with my "skills" I'll be seeing it again...

Thanks ATR ;)

ATR
December 18th, 2009, 09:32 PM
That is one cliff hanger, dangling thread.

I am not going to let you get away that easy. How did you delete that gray clip?

What did you do and voila it was gone?

But, there are those unexpected and unexplainable events in Premiere Elements, so I may have to settle for your last report.

ATR

grindy
December 18th, 2009, 10:53 PM
That is one cliff hanger, dangling thread.

I am not going to let you get away that easy. How did you delete that gray clip?

What did you do and voila it was gone?

But, there are those unexpected and unexplainable events in Premiere Elements, so I may have to settle for your last report.

ATR

As best as I can remember ( short term memory at my age is... "challanged"...) I managed to grab the end of that "blank area" and extend it, and somehow that allowed me to delete it.

Sorry ATR, but that's the best I can remember... :cool:

ATR
December 19th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Good Morning

OK, what you think that you did to get rid of the "gray clip" fits in with my guess as to what that "gray clip" is/was.

It is a gap in the Timeline with probably a sliver of a "real" clip sitting at the right end of the "gray clip".
a. if you left click on the type of gap that I have in mind, it disappears without closing the gap represented by the gray
b. if you right click on the type of gap that I have in mind and click on the "Delete Close Gap" message that pops up, the gap disappears and the gap between clips closes.

I suspect that the "sliver" was the culprit in what you observed.

That is my Saturday morning theory (in contrast to a Monday morning quarterback theory)....

ATR

grindy
December 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Good Morning

OK, what you think that you did to get rid of the "gray clip" fits in with my guess as to what that "gray clip" is/was.

It is a gap in the Timeline with probably a sliver of a "real" clip sitting at the right end of the "gray clip".
a. if you left click on the type of gap that I have in mind, it disappears without closing the gap represented by the gray
b. if you right click on the type of gap that I have in mind and click on the "Delete Close Gap" message that pops up, the gap disappears and the gap between clips closes.

I suspect that the "sliver" was the culprit in what you observed.

That is my Saturday morning theory (in contrast to a Monday morning quarterback theory)....

ATR

And I think it's a good one. Now that you mention the "Delete Close Gap", I remember at one point selecting that option, which may well have led to it's ultimate removal. Good catch.

Now that you mention it, I'm thinking that the "sliver" was probably one of the still images that I was using to "experiment" with while learning how to use Transitions - and it appeared as a "sliver" simply because I was "zoomed out" as it were.

The more I play with PE7, the more I appreciate all the editing features that are available. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I'm one of those users that learns an application like PE by "playing" with it, rather than sitting down with the Help file and reading first. I end up resorting to the Help document when I'm "stuck", and quite often don't find what I'm looking for there - which then brings me here....

Thank God (or whoever) you and others here at the "Village" are so willing to help us novice PE users. PE is (as is often the case with "full featured" applications) at the same time - both easy and difficult. Understanding it's "nuances" would be such a pain without the help we get here. So THANKS to you and Chuck and the rest for all your assistance.

:)

ATR
December 19th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the follow up.

I will tell you a secret...I learn so much in the questions/answers sharing here that is better (more comprehensive) than any text ever written.

Exploration and experimentation are the keys which I often have to try out to figure out how the user got him/herself into the dilemma that brought them here.

ATR