PDA

View Full Version : PE4 Media Downloader Freezing

sjring
December 18th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Trying to impirt a VOB file using PE4's Media Downloader on a vista machine. About halfway through importing the file the computer freezes.

The disk I'm copying from was made on my camcorder and finalized. I've tried optimizing vista for PE (from the kb article).

Any ideas?

ATR
December 18th, 2009, 08:43 AM
sjring

How many VOB files (thumbnails) do you see in the Premiere Elements 4 Media Downloader Advance dialog when the process freezes? And, what are the sizes of those VOBs that have reached the Media Downloader Advance dialog?

What is the duration/run time (minutes/hours) of the DVD-VIDEO on the DVD disc that you have inserted into your DVD burner tray for ripping by the Premiere Elements Media Downloader?

The Media Downloader works for many. For many it does not. For those do not people the alternative is converting the VOBs to DV AVI with the free software MPEG Streamclip
http://www.squared5.com/
Typically the issues are quality, out of sync audio

But in your case, your problem sounds like it may be related to computer resources and the size of your DVD-VIDEO. You did say that you optimized your computer. Just how much available RAM and free hard drive space does your computer have? Is the virtual memory controlled by the Vista operating system or by your custom setting?

Please supply the additional details requested and we shall see if we can figure this out together.

ATR

sjring
December 18th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I have 4 gig of ram and following the instruction in the KB article I ser the virtual memory to 8 gig, controlled by the setting (same problem happened when it was automatically controlled by Vista).

There are 2 VOB files, the one with the dvd menu is 66k and the other is 817 Meg. There are between 20 & 30 minutes of video/audio.

As an aside, I have no trouble viewing the disk using Windows Media Player 11.

Thanks for your help.

ATR
December 18th, 2009, 05:13 PM
sjring

For troubleshooting purposes (with final workflow decisions based on results), consider converting the VOBs to DV AVI with MPEG Streamclip and importing the DV AVI version into Premiere Elements with Premiere Elements Get Media/Files and Folders.

If you need background information on MPEG Streamclip as well as it's settings and a step by step, please let me know.

Please update me on your results.

Thanks.

ATR

sjring
December 19th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks ATR.

It still locks on portions using Stream Clip, but I was able to zero in on the portion I wanted.

ATR
December 19th, 2009, 11:26 PM
sjring

I was glad to learn that you obtained the VOBs that you needed for your project. But I am troubled by the problems that extended into the MPEG Streamclip segment of the troubleshooting.

If these same problems persist for another project and new media, we could discuss all aspects of the matter in more depth.

I will be watching for your progress.

ATR