PDA

View Full Version : what are the _ff_ files?

Disneyzell
December 15th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I'm having issus with pe7 crashing. I'm doing yet another highlight video with a ton of cuts and peices and parts and matte's. But I don't want to explore that just yet.

I'm going to try it on another computer, but when moving the files accross I noticed a bunch of _ff_ files (my file name is 2009 JPW Red Highlight Video, and I have 148 files named like this: 2009 JPW Red Highlight Video_FF_1, 2009 JPW Red Highlight Video_FF_148, etc).

They are 3-5 MB each, so it's a big hog on the computer.

any idea?

Drew

ATR
December 15th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Drew

What directory (location) are you finding these files with the FF as part of the name?

Also, is your browser Firefox?

Do any of these files end with a file extension xxx in the name, like JPW Red Highlight Video_FF_1.xxx?

ATR

ATR
December 15th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Add on....

The computer that you are exiting from...is that the new one that you got for the other project or the old one?

ATR

Disneyzell
December 15th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I guess I'm going to add the crash to this thread as well. Again dealing with football games. there are a total of 12 games. I have 11 done, and am working in the 12th. Everything was fine last night (when I finally got exhausted and called it a day).

Let me explain how I do this. I'm shooting with a Sony HDR XR-500 in high quality Standard Def. That outputs to .mpg format.

Each game has about 100 plays in it, so basically i'm bringing in about 100 clips for each game.

I then edit down to about 15 plays per game which are te ones that I play with.

I then go through each clip and cut it down to the basics, and I add what I call a Halo effect (essentially a mat that shows a circle around the player and a matte effect. video 1 is the original clip which I take a 1 second still shot of. I put a copy of that on video 2, and put the Matte effect onthat. Then on Video 3 I have a white Circle psd file that I put in. I think have the Matt use Video 3 as it's basis, and I make Video clip 1 dark. So you end up with 1 second of a kid being highlighted.

I also do *some* slow motion stuff, but maybe 1 clip per game.

Again, I'm through game 11, but when I moved the 12th game up to start working on it (it was always on the project, just way over on the right), I now can't even touch it before I get the PE7 is not responding message.

Here are my computer specs:
Dell Studio XPS 8000
Intel Core I7-860 processor
8GB memory
1 TB hdd
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GTS240 graphics

thoughts?

Drew

Disneyzell
December 15th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Drew

What directory (location) are you finding these files with the FF as part of the name?

Also, is your browser Firefox?

Do any of these files end with a file extension xxx in the name, like JPW Red Highlight Video_FF_1.xxx?

ATR

They are in the same directory as my project. They are bmp's.

and the computer I'm moving away from is the new one with all the power.

Disneyzell
December 15th, 2009, 11:02 AM
OK, figured out the FF things...those are my stills that I'm using to do the bubbles.

ATR
December 15th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Drew

I need to read through the details that you have just added to make sure that I am in focus.

But, please take a look at the following link and the comments of "Case". Could that apply to your situation and your ...ff.bmp?
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic338080.html

I would stay with the computer with the greater power, just making sure that it has a clean clean up, optimized, and scratch files and everything but the Premiere Elements program files on a external hard drive. Are those ff.bmp on an external hard drive already? If not, get them there.

At this time, where are the completed 11 games...still on the new computer? If clean up/defragmentation etc. of this new computer does not allow you to finish off with game 12 there, what do you think about editing it down on the other computer (also Premiere Elements 7) and then transferring that as DV AVI back into the Premiere Elements 7/new computer to join the 11 finished ones?

ATR

ATR
December 15th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Drew

Just saw your good new after I hit the Submit Reply Button.

How did they get the ff? Were those files generated with a special program or other?

ATR

Disneyzell
December 15th, 2009, 11:24 AM
it's the Freeze Frame option (the little camera under the view screen). Which, now that I know that, explains the FF.

I pulled an auto save from last night and am re-editing the last few games. Rather than FF, I'm going to just take a small chunk of the video and slow it WAY down and use that. Maybe that will take less space.

the project crashes on the other computer as well, I'm giong to try to burn out through game 11, and see if i can just add that and game 12 to the mix. The only problem I have with that sometimes is the shakiness issue I've mentioned before.

ATR
December 15th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Drew

I do not mean to jinx you, but you can do it.

ATR

Disneyzell
December 15th, 2009, 11:41 AM
while the first 11 are burning I have a question. you talk about putting everything on an external drive (which I was doing, but it slowed it down, so now it's all on the internal drive).

What if I add a second drive to my home computer. I have a 1tb drive, if I add a 2tb internal drive would that accomplish the same thing? I really want to do this so I can get Carbonite and back everything up so I don't lose my external drive like I did already on that last project.

let me know your thoughts, and then I'll leave you alone for a little bit!

Drew

ATR
December 15th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Drew

Do not let this note affect your present focus, but, when you get finished with this present project, could you go into what you did to get those ...ff.bmp files. When I do a freeze frame in Premiere Elements 7, the corresponding files have no ff in the name, just name without any ff and file extension .bmp. And, as far as I can tell right now, any corresponding conformed video file would have the file extension .mcdb (no ff in name).

ATR

Disneyzell
December 23rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
HI ATR, finally unburied myself. I just tested it, and when I did a Freeze Frame (the camera button) and put it into my project it created the _ff_ file (this one's name is 2009 Basketball Highlights_FF.bmp.

the thing that sucks about it is that it is 4mb in size...which is pretty dang big. Since I will end up with 100+ of these in most of the videos I do, it becomes cumbersome.

ATR
December 23rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
Drew

Could you do a double check the file size on those .bmp freeze frame images. That 4 MB each does not seem right.

First things first.
a. I was in Premiere Elements 7 troubleshooting something else, so I took a look at some freeze frames sizes. Premiere Elements 7 project preset (new project dialog) will determine the pixel dimensions of those bmp files. So....
I had the Premiere Elements 7 project preset (new project dialog) = NTSC DV Standard (720 x 480) and imported 2 videos, one HDV file size 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 105 MB file size about 1 minute 43 seconds long, the other a 3g2 file size 176 x 144 353 KB file size about 30 seconds long.
Then..
I did a freeze frame for each. Each had a freeze frame characterized by 720 x 480 pixels and the same file size 1012 KB, not 4 MB or anything else. The result was the same in Premiere Elements 8.

So where are you coming up with 4 MB bmp freeze frames?

Today, when I did the freeze frames in Premiere Elements 7 and 8, I came up with the file names which included the ..._FF_1.bmp. I am not sure why it was just ...bmp when I looked at this last time. Need to look into this. Curious.

Let us see if we can figure out where the 4 MB file sizes are coming from for the .bmp. Your project preset is DV Standard or Widescreen or other??? By the way, you get that bmp 1012 KB file size whether the Premiere Elements 7 project preset (new project dialog) is Standard or Widescreen.

From the sounds of it...great progress on your side.

ATR

Disneyzell
December 24th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I uploaded an image

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/Disneyzell/screenshot.jpg

Definately 4mb.

My project settings: NTSC-AVCHD-HD 1080i 30 5.1 channel

the reason I use this is my video camera (the Sony, I think I gave the specs earlier in this thread) shoots in 5.1 sound, and if I don't start a project with 5.1 sound it puts it way on top and that screws up the matte's that I use.

By the way, I'm about to put up a new thread about the two other issues I've been having. I'm between projects, but would like to knock those out. Please put me on the low priority list though since I'm not actively in a project.

Happy Holidays, and thanks again for your help!

Drew

ATR
December 24th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Drew

Yes. Doing a freeze frame from Premiere Elements 7 project preset
NTSC-AVCHD-HD 1080i 30 5.1 channel
will give the 4.4 MB .bmp file. I was thinking from the project preset of NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen. So, we are on the same page with that. We are also on the same page with regard to ....FF...in the .bmp file name, although I still have not figured out why the FF was not a part of the .bmp file name when I initially looked at this.

I will take another look at the above to see if we can come up with any other variation without messing with "a good thing". If you were using Premiere Elements 8, you would not have to deal the 5.1 channel handling issue that Premiere Elements 7 has, but......

I will be watching for your additional questions and progress.

Best wishes for the holidays and New Year and hope that all your favorite teams win their games.

ATR

Disneyzell
December 24th, 2009, 01:33 PM
ATR,

ok...so I have started a project with basketball, and have already edited 3 games down to their highlights.

I have tried and searched at various times for ability to copy to a new project, I would assume I won't be able to do that, but thought I would ask.

and as far as PE8, your saying it won't do that to me anymore, and the FF files won't be 4 MB because the project wouldn't be HD?

I might have to experiment with that next week.

thanks again for all your help!

Drew

ATR
December 24th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Drew

I was going to incorporate the following into your new thread, but thought now, right here, might be the place since I do not think that we are on the same page with this aspect of your projects.

I am reading that you are shooting with your Sony, recording Standard with 5.1 channel sound. That means to me MPEG2 with 5.1 channel, not AVCHD with 5.1 channel.

Enter into the mix Premiere Elements 7 which has it's unique way to handle 5.1 channel sound.
a. If you are shooting Standard (720 x 480, 4:3) with 5.1 channel, then your project preset should be NTSC DV Standard, not NTSC AVCHD HD1080i30 with 5.1 channel. You will end up with MPEG2 with 5.1 channel sound on the Premiere Elements 7 Timeline with the video on Video Track 4 and the audio on Audio Track 4 (when using the default 3 track setup). You can drag that linked video/audio to tracks above 4, but not below. Premiere Elements brings video recorded with audio into it with the video linked to its audio. In your case, the only way to get your MPEG2 video to a video track lower than 4 is to unlink the MPEG2 video from its 5.1 channel sound (See Clip Menu/Unlink Audio and Video). There is NO project preset, like NTSC AVCHD HD 1080i30 with 5.1 channel, that corrects that situation for MPEG2 video with 5.1 channel sound.

So, just how are you getting that NTSC AVCHD HD 1080i30 with 5.1 channel to do what you seem to indicate it is doing with respect to track location with MPEG2, not AVCHD, with 5.1 channel? Is that what you have really said?

The only time changing the project preset to NTSC AVCHD HD1080i30 with 5.1 channel project corrects the situation of video with 5.1 channel going to the upper tracks is when you actually shoot AVCHD with 5.1 channel sound. Example, if your Premiere Elements 7 project preset = NTSC DV Standard and you import AVCHD with 5.1 channel sound, the video will go to Video Track 4 and the audio will go to Audio Track 4 (when using the default 3 track setup). But, if your Premiere Elements 7 project preset = NTSC AVCHD HD1080i30 5.1 channel AND you import AVCHD with 5.1 channel sound, then the video will go to Video Track 1 and the audio will go to Audio Track 1.

You have none of these considerations with Premiere Elements 8.

I have not figured out
a. how you are controlling where your MPEG2 with 5.1 channel goes
b. the rationale behind you using the project preset = NTSC AVCHD HD1080i30 (editing a 720 x 480 video with a 1440 x 1080 template???... since it should not have any affect on the program directed media placement on the Timeline)

I could not view your ghosting video from your web site, so I have downloaded the video. My first take, look into fields issues. More on that latter matter later. For now, I need clarification on the above.

ATR

Disneyzell
December 24th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I've been using the NTSC AVCHD HD1080i30 with 5.1 channel because it allows me to put the video on Video 1. The reason I did that originally (though I have not tried since) was because at one point I couldn't get my circles to work when I brought it in at Video 4. Don't know if that makes sense, but I know that the Matte is very sensitive to where it was, and I had enough issues that I just started using the AVCHD setting even though I was, as you said, using MPEG2. even with that project setting you can bring MPEG2 files (with 5.1 sorround) to Video 1.

I think I answered both of your questions in that paragraph.

basically, with the AVCHD setting, you can still put MPEG2 files with 5.1 on Video 1 (or 2 or 3).

Hope that makes sense.

Drew

ATR
December 24th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Drew

There is something missing. As they say "What is wrong with this picture?"

Are you sure that you have an MPEG-2 5.1 channel????

How about this? Take one of these MPEG-2 5.1 channel that you say is not AVCHD 5.1 channel and run it through the free utility gspot. Then tell me what it says for Video Codec: and Name: and the Audio Codec:
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

No one, including myself, has ever been able to put MPEG2 video linked to 5.1 channel audio on to lower tracks in Premiere Elements 7.

This is an important point.

ATR

ATR
December 24th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Drew

Do you have a mini sample of your typical MPEG-2, 5.1 channel video that you could post?

I do not have a sample MPEG-2 video with 5.1 channel sound, but I do have a .wmv with 5.1 channel sound that I just dragged to the Premiere Elements 7 Timeline (with project preset NTSC AVCHD HD1080i30 5.1 channel). Guess what? I was able to place it on Video/Audio tracks 1.

Besides looking at your video, I need to go back and look at all those others who reported the same thing about MPEG2 5.1 channel always heading for the upper tracks even with the project presets taken into consideration.

Although you are working with Premiere Elements 7 at this time, do you have Premiere Elements 8 installed on the same computer but just not using it at the same time as Premiere Elements 8?

ATR

Disneyzell
December 24th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Drew

Do you have a mini sample of your typical MPEG-2, 5.1 channel video that you could post?

I do not have a sample MPEG-2 video with 5.1 channel sound, but I do have a .wmv with 5.1 channel sound that I just dragged to the Premiere Elements 7 Timeline (with project preset NTSC AVCHD HD1080i30 5.1 channel). Guess what? I was able to place it on Video/Audio tracks 1.

Besides looking at your video, I need to go back and look at all those others who reported the same thing about MPEG2 5.1 channel always heading for the upper tracks even with the project presets taken into consideration.

Although you are working with Premiere Elements 7 at this time, do you have Premiere Elements 8 installed on the same computer but just not using it at the same time as Premiere Elements 8?

ATR

The video you pulled down with my issues on the other thread is that exact situation. But I DON'T have an issue with this...the only thing going to this preset is that my freeze frame is huge...so now I know why. I don't *think* this has anything to do with my issues in the other thread.

I don't have PE8 as of yet. I hadn't determined for sure I was going to buy it...though the 5.1 issue going away would be nice!

The only other weird thing is that if you move groups of video with 5.1 in it, it tends to want to put it on another video line which is a pain in the rear...so you have to be very careful of that.

I'm going to tweak my camera to not shoot in 5.1...I don't really need it at this point.

Did you see my question about copying?

thanks ATR!

Drew

ATR
December 24th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Drew

When this business with Premiere Elements 7 and 5.1 channel first really took off with the users (essentially Sony camcorder users), the first suggestion was to call Sony and try to find out how to switch the 5.1 channel to Stereo.The word back from Sony was...you cannot. I will gather up all that past history on that. If you find a way to disable the Sony camcorder 5.1 channel and/or replace it with Stereo that would be a major contribution to the long suffering Sony 5.1 channel people/Premiere Elements 7 users.

But, detouring (but not really)...when I took your test.avi into Premiere Elements 7 and looked at it on the Timeline,
a. It looks like you sent me a video file with DV compression, .avi file extension, and audio characterized by 5.1 channel.
b. When it was on the Timeline and viewed in the Edit Mode monitor, I saw what you meant by the highlights being of different quality in section one and two. BUT, I also noticed that the non highlight areas had problems. The refs and players were "ghosted" with lines. Did you notice that?

I could clean up what I saw, by cutting the video and right clicking parts 1 and 2 video, selecting Field Options, and dotting the Always Deinterlace. In part 2, I suspect that if you use that footage to create your highlight it might clean up the highlight that you see in part 2.

I am assuming that what you sent me was a File Menu/Export/Movie of your Timeline (NTSC AVCHD HD1080i30) project preset. Probably using the Microsoft DV AVI and adjusting some of the other setting like "5.1 channel" (which is not Dolby Digital). So, how representative is the quality of test.avi compared to your real projects?

Those are my initial observations which I suspect will tie together after I replicate what you are doing.

To be continued...

ATR

Disneyzell
December 26th, 2009, 07:45 PM
ATR,

I was able to shut off the 5.1. Here are the steps:

1. Pushed the house on the view screen.
2. Click Movie Settings
3. click Audio Mode
4. Select 5.1ch Surround or 2ch Stereo

Obviously I picked 2ch Stereo. It apears to have turned off 5.1 as I changed is part way through a game and the clips where it was 5.1 showed up on their own line and the stereo ones did not. Now, my Sony is relatively new (I think we bought it in August 09), so maybe that's a new feature?

as far as the rest:

a. correct, I output the file to .avi for you to view. It was the only one high quality enough to show you the issue. That is how it looks on DVD.

b. Correct again, on the second clip the circle has a ghost problem, but I also added slow motion to the second half of the clip. It's the other thing that drives me nuts because it looks funky. So I don't use slow motion much because of that.

so I should try to click the "always deinterlace" when I do a slow motion clip?

thanks again for the help. I'm currently downloading PE8, so will be giving that a try.

OH, on a sidenote I did create a regular project (not 5.1), and brought the video in. When I made a freeze frame it was only .95mb...so that's 25% smaller. Clearly that's what I need to do going forward. Unfortunately I've already edited 3 games...which takes several hours. Again...any way to copy those clips over into PE8 once I get it done, but with a regular project setting so I don't get the huge 4mb ff files?

thanks ATR!

Drew