PDA

View Full Version : Import 720p h.264 Video (not AVCHD)

florida_user
December 13th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I shot video with the Canon SD960

Canon lists the video as:
MOV (Image: H.264; Audio: Linear PCM (Monaural)

So its a .MOV container using the H.264 codec. The resolution is 1280x720
Average bitrate seems to be about 24,00 kbps

Importing it directly into PE8 results in very choppy editing until Premiere renders the previews. I'd prefer to convert the video to a Premiere friendly format before importing.

I read the guides on converting to DV, but no matter what program I use, the DV codec seems to limit the size to 720x480. I want to maintain 1280x720.

What is the best format to convert this video into so that Premiere will not choke up or have to spend massive amounts of time creating preview files?

Thanks!

ATR
December 13th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Florida

If you have not already could you please download the free utility gspot and get the properties for your Canon video from that, focus, video codec listing as well as name of video codec listed.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

From what you have described so far, the Premiere Elements 8 project preset (new project dialog) of choice would be NTSC HDV HDV 720p30 or its PAL counterpart depending on your location. Is that what you have been using for the Premiere Elements 8 project preset (new project dialog)?

Importing it directly into PE8 results in very choppy editing until Premiere renders the previews
That is normal for non DV AVI Timeline content, titles, effects, transitions. So, what did the end product look like after you rendered the Timeline and exported via one of the Share options? Choppy or not?? What did you use for playback?

If you convert to anything other than DV AVI (with its standardized frame size of 720 x 480) for standard and widescreen, you will still get that red line over the Timeline, with the program telling you that you need to render the Timeline to get the best possible preview of the end product.

When you pressed the Enter Key in the Edit Mode to render the Timeline there, you got yourself the best possible preview of the end product. This type of rendering does not impact the quality of the end product. It is also a window of opportunity to correct any problems that you might encounter after you went through the process of encoding. But you do not have to render the Timeline. I just went into the various scenarios in a recent thread here. One of the major ones included was:
If you do not render the Timeline and the Timeline content looks good in the Edit Mode Monitor, you will not know if the end product will be OK because you have not taken your window of opportunity to do so in the Edit Mode.

If rendering the Timeline got rid of the choppy video in the Edit Mode Mode Monitor playback, why do you want to get into video conversion? What do you want to do with your 1280 x 720 30 frames per second video?
a. you can export under Share/Personal Computer/ for playback on computer via one of 720p export options.
b. you cannot burn your 1280 x 720 to DVD or BluRay disc in Premiere Elements.

The reason that DV AVI is suggested as a type to convert to is that DV AVI is the native format of the Premiere Elements Timeline. But, as you know, that format has a standardized frame size of 720 x 480 with the 16:9 flag included for the widescreen type. You want 1280 x 720.

For whatever reason that you might have for converting your Canon 1280 x 720 30 frames per second with a .mov file extension (wrapper) and H.264 compression, you could look at MPEG Streamclip
http://www.squared5.com/
and explore formats other than DV AVI, but the advantage of that is not clear without some feedback from you.

ATR

ATR
December 15th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Florida

When you have time, please let me know how you are doing with your project.

If there is anything that needs clarification in what I wrote previously, please do not hesitate to ask so that I can fill in the gaps or explain it better to get you moving forward with your projects.

Thanks.

ATR