PDA

View Full Version : PRE7 Narration not registered

donbar
December 12th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I am trying to add narration to a video for the first time.
When I click 'Add Narration' the panel shows satisfactory levels and the sound can be heard from the speakers but the recording does not appear on the narration audio track after the stop is pressed. Can anyone explain if I'm missing something? MP3 files can be added and play OK.
PRE7 on Windows 7 32bit system with Creative USB microphone and Soundblaster card.

ATR
December 12th, 2009, 03:36 PM
donbar

Based on past experiences, the issue is the use of a USB microphone. They do not work in Premiere Elements.

Use a microphone that plugs into the computer jack for that purpose. I have been using a desktop Labtec microphone of that type that has served me well for Premiere Elements versions 2, 4, 7, and 8.

Please let me know the outcome. A Search for the issue here and elsewhere should turn up the some problem/fix.

ATR

donbar
December 14th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Thanks, ATR, for your prompt response.
I have checked and found that the mic is actually a plug in one and also found that narration will work OK in another project - and that file can be inserted into the project I wish to narrate. The only difference appears to be the size - the test one was 5 mins of .mts whereas the full one is 40mins, mainly .mts but also 30 stills (downsized to 1000x690 pix).
HOWEVER I now find that the narration in the large project does record but only for 1.13secs precisely! (I had missed it because it's so short). When 'recording' the film continues to play and the black stop button still shows but only 1.13secs actually records. Why should this be?

ATR
December 14th, 2009, 07:39 AM
What do your computer resources look like?

From what you wrote initially, you have Premiere Elements 7, Windows 7 32 bit. How much installed and available RAM as well as free hard drive space does your computer have? Is your computer optimized and defragmented frequently. And, what is the brand/model/recording settings for the camcorder from which the .mts come?

From what you wrote, I am understanding that you cannot record 40 minutes of narration with Premiere Elements 7's narration feature. What happens if you record the narration in a free program such as Audacity and bring that narration into Premiere Elements 7 with the program's Get Media/Files and Folders?
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Please describe your Timeline prior to trying to create the narration (video tracks, audio tracks, narration track, soundtrack...does this narration that you are trying to create go with the photos and/or does the .mts have audio (if so, what format)?

ATR

ATR
December 14th, 2009, 10:32 PM
donbar

I was just checking the threads tonight check progress and had a question about my previous response.

I do not think that I am clear on just what is the intended duration of the narration clip using your non USB microphone and Premiere Elements. It looks like whatever it is all that you can get is about 1 second narration.

Please clarify for me what that 5 minutes and 40 minutes was all about. Is that the total duration of the Timeline content when you decided to create a narration of x seconds?

It sounds like we should rule in or out your computer resources at the onset.

ATR

ATR
December 16th, 2009, 04:51 PM
donbar

I have been waiting for follow up on an important aspect of your posted issue, namely, level of computer resources.

Did I get my answer in the thread that you just posted today regarding AVCHD editing and resources demands.

For AVCHD or non AVCHD editing discussions we do need computer resources defined beyond Windows 7 32 bit running Premiere Elements 7.

I will do some homework on your Canon HF10 FXP and XP+ settings, although it would be helpful if you would supply whatever information you have on the subject and details.

ATR

ATR
December 16th, 2009, 05:22 PM
donbar

Please refer to your other thread regarding AVCHD editing for additional comments.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53422

ATR