PDA

View Full Version : PRE8 install trouble

briandmiles
December 12th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I'm looking for any help that can be offered here. I posted this in the PSE forum as well.

Two nights ago I was working with PSE8 and PRE8 and everything was working fine (except PRE8 is incredibly slow with .MTS files). This morning I went to work on PRE8 and when I clicked on the icon to open the program I got a window asking me to accept the user agreement. I thought that was strange but clicked on the "accept" button anyway. When I did the window went away and nothing happened. It was like I never tried to start the program. So I tried again and the same thing happened. Then I tried to start PSE8 and the exact same thing happened. I figured some file had been corrupted but couldn't see how, so I uninstalled both programs (there was no option to fix the installation). Now when I go to install either one they will begin the process, copy all of the files and as soon as the copying is done it says "rolling back action" and deletes all the files. When that is done the screen that normally comes up saying the installation is complete instead says that something interrupted the installation process.
I've attempted this under the normal user account as well as the admin account. I'm using windows 7 on a core2 quad machine with 8 gig of ram and both programs had been running fine for about a month and a half up until this point.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

ATR
December 12th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Brian

You indeed came to the right place and the right person. Something very similar happened to me within the last two weeks, and it took me over 24 hours to get everything back and running.

In my case, it was Photoshop Elements 8 that quit, not the Premiere Elements 8 that was also installed. It would just not open when I clicked on its Desktop Icon. Before I go further, this is what I want you to tell me:
a. You say that you have 8 GB installed RAM, Window 7, 32 or 64 bit?...how much of that 8 GB RAM is actually available...how much free hard drive space do you have on the C:\ local drive?
b. Have you been operating your computer with the System Restore feature ON? What was the specific date that you last remember Premiere Elements 8 opening and closing properly?
c. Do you remember any changes in your computer environment from the time that Premiere Elements 8 worked until you could not open it?
d. Have you signed on to the free or Plus(part with fee) photoshop.com feature and, if so, is it recognizing your Adobe ID and password?

To be continued.....

ATR

To be continued....

ATR

briandmiles
December 12th, 2009, 11:04 PM
ATR,

Yes I have windows 7 64bit installed with 8 gig of RAM installed and running. The resource manager says about 1.5 gig are being used prior to running anything but Firefox, so that leaves 6.5 gig of RAM. I've got about 400gb available on my C: drive.

I never specifically turned on or off the system restore feature but it appears to be on since it is asking when I would like to restore my computer to. I know it worked perfectly fine on Thursday night when I was doing some editing.

I never changed anything however this is the "family" computer and anyone of my kids (1,3,5,7 yrs old) or my wife could have done something accidentally.

I have previously signed onto the free section of photoshop.com and it has worked fine. I haven't tried since the programs stopped working. I just now tried and there appears to be a problem with their servers.

Just as a possible side note I was having issues using PRE8 on Thursday trying to edit a small video and post it to YouTube. It wouldn't allow me to log onto YouTube with my username and password even though I could if I went to YouTube directly.

Thanks for your help.

Brian

ATR
December 12th, 2009, 11:59 PM
briandmiles

This is what I would like you to do first.
Run a virus scan and spyware scan
Reset the Premiere Elements 8 preferences
Instructions from Premiere Elements 8 Help PDF

Delete the application preferences file.

Close Adobe Premiere Elements.
Navigate to the following location:

In Windows XP: Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\8.0
In Windows Vista: Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements\8.0

Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.
Restart Adobe Premiere Elements.

Note: After you delete the preferences file, reset any custom preferences under Edit > Preferences (for example, scratch disks) that you had set.

Determine if any of that helped the situation.

1. Set a restore point where you are now so that you can back to where you started from if that ever becomes necessary.
2. Then do a system restore to a point when you are almost certain that Premiere Elements worked correctly.
3. If Premiere Elements does not work at this earlier time point, then at this restore post do a complete uninstall/reinstall of Premiere Elements, followed by going into the program files and elsewhere to delete any files/folders that escaped the Premiere Element uninstall procedure. Check again to see if Premiere Elements is functioning properly again.

Let us see how you do on this.

By the way, Premiere Elements 8 is a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit operating system. As such as, you still should be getting the RAM limitations of a 32 bit environment.

ATR