PDA

View Full Version : PE8 & PE Pro

Little Nac
December 10th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Hi all.
My first question is one I hope can be answered here.
Does Adobe Premier Pro require as much resources as Premier Elements 7 or 8?
My second question is going to be on another Thread, so stayed tuned!!
Thanks in advanced. :o

ATR
December 10th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Little Nac

My 11:30 pm answer for that is probably yes given the same conditions, but, if my recollection is correct, programs such as Premiere Elements Pro CS4, although still 32 bit applications, are optimized to work in a 64 bit computer environment.

I will dust off my recollections on this tomorrow and see if I can find someone who has posted some definitive results on the subject.

ATR

ATR
December 10th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Little Nac

Some quick add ons for your reading....

Premiere Pro CS4, Optimizing your computer is forever, Windows and Mac

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405744.html

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405455.html

Troubleshooting Premiere Pro CS4
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405950.html

Sounds familiar?

ATR

Chuck Engels
December 11th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Much of what is under the hood of both programs is the same. But Premiere Pro offers many more features than Premiere Elements. If you use it to the full extent you will find that it requires more resources.

Having multiple sequences (timelines) and nested sequences can take a lot of resources. It's like working with multiple Premiere Elements projects all in one.
That is one of the greatest features of Premiere Pro and something that becomes very useful very quickly as you learn the program.

It probably won't use a tremendous amount of additional resources, but if you are currently having any problems with Premiere Elements getting Premiere Pro will most likely only make it worse.

ATR
December 11th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Little Nac

As they say in the theater, motivation, motivation... Did your question really go to your motivation to switch from Premiere Elements to Premiere Pro CS4?

If so, let us focus on your other thread
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53203
and check out the discussion there to try to cross the t's and dot the i's.

ATR

ATR
December 11th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Little Nac

There is an expression that goes "Be careful what you wish for."

In that regard and Premiere Pro, take the time to read through some current Premiere Pro problems/solutions at the Premiere Pro Forum at Adobe
http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_current

And, if using the Premiere Pro CS4 does sound like an attractive idea to you after reading all that, if possible, be sure to go for a free 30 day Premiere Pro CS4 tryout before purchase (reading carefully all the do's and don'ts about installing/uninstalling).

ATR

Chuck Engels
December 11th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I have no problems with CS3, is CS4 really that bad or is it just a few people having lots of problems? I would think it works just fine for most people. CS3 installed without a problem first time and ran right out of the box. Maybe the fact that I had Premiere Elements installed already helped, the drivers were up to date and everything was already working well.

ATR
December 11th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Little Nac

The link provide for the Premiere Pro Forum at Adobe was meant to give you an overview rather than an individual assessment/judgment of Premiere Pro (CS4 or other Pro versions). You and Bubby Grub may also want to post there for more in depth information on Premiere Pro CS4.

In that regard, one of the recent posts there might capture your attention regarding a poll on Premiere Pro CS4....

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537629?tstart=0

You and Bubby Grub have a lot of material to check out, representing several angles for a new and improved workflow.

ATR

Chuck Engels
December 11th, 2009, 05:50 PM
We also have an excellent Premiere Pro forum at muvipix if you are looking for other opinions :)

ATR
December 11th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Little Nac

I think that you have the essential facts on the information that you sought. My recent posts were intended not to offer you opinions but rather to give you an idea of what the Premiere Pro troops were experiencing in the trenches. And, if it came to questions about hands on/in depth details of the Premiere Pro workflow, I still believe that the Premiere Pro Forum is the place of choice.

ATR

Chuck Engels
December 11th, 2009, 07:59 PM
The Adobe forum is obviously not everyones forum of choice ;)

ATR
December 11th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Little Nac and Bubby Grub

People's choice of forums vary, often for non technical reasons, such as I could not get into a site fast enough, the new format columns are not wide enough for me, so on and so on and other non technical informational reasons.

When I have had a technical question that blocked me, I have had very good experiences seeking the information and discussion at the Adobe forums. If you make a comparison of who frequents what forums to answer questions, you will see the same groups of people at the different forums. In fact, CE's associate is a moderator at the Premiere Elements User to User Forum at Adobe which CE does not frequent as often.

You have said in the past that you both are subscribers at CE's site which I assume is his forum of choice. Of course, I am sure he takes pride in his hard work. Since that is the case, I assume that you have been there and done that and are utilizing all resources here and elsewhere.

I stand by my earlier posts and, as always, try to define my responses to what works for me or from what I have read.

ATR

Chuck Engels
December 11th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I started out at the Adobe U2U forums and was very happy there. I was very involved there for over 2 years from 2005 - 2007. Then we started Muvipix and I focused my attention there but still frequented the Adobe forum often. After Adobe made a change to the forum software there were many problems and I quit as did many others. Now my favorite places are here and Muvipix :)

ATR
December 12th, 2009, 12:21 AM
CE

Apparently this forum has been a favorite for you for a long time. I remember back to your visits during Tami's responses/video tutorial involvement in the Premiere Elements Forum here when you often came to her assistance.

But I am somewhat dismayed by important contributors migrating out of the forums at Adobe for reasons which I do not understand. If we can tackle the hard problems of issues of Premiere Elements surely we can overcome some structural changes in the environment in which we tackle these questions. I would hope that you and others will reconsider your visiting schedule there. I try to help out there when I can.

ATR

Little Nac
December 12th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks to all, sorry I have not got back sooner, but we have been fairly busy, but now have had a chance to check out all threads.

Actually my reason for asking about resources and Pro was purely out of interest, not because I wanted to change from Elements. A long time ago I took a look a Pro, and it frighten me, but come to think of it, so did Elements when I first tried it. Now that I have had more experience with Elements, and have learnt so much thanks to you guys, I was just wondering if I would give it a try.

As for other sites and forumns, I have checked many out, but I must admit this and Muvipix are the best I have come across. I have found both you and CE to be most helpful at all times. It is so great knowing that if and when I do pose my numerious questions, I have always found both you guys and other members so much help. We have both learnt so much.

As for our Machines and specs etc. as I have said we are treading very cautiously, and asking as many questions as we can, and taking note.
With the holidays coming up and hopefully we will be in your part of the world again from around mid February to probably the end of March, beginning of April, we will not be making any decisions until we arrive back, probably armed with numerous photos, videos etc.

For now we are still working away with our numerous projects, and looking forward to our annual visit to Frys our favourite store for about half an hour, but normally turns into 3 or 4 hours, by the time we finish looking around. Unfortunately we do not have access to a store like that back here.

Anyway thanks again to both you guys for all your help at all times.

And just incase I do not get back with any further questions, before Xmas, we both wish you all a Great Christmas and a Happy New Year.:)

ATR
December 12th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Little Nac and Bubby Grub

Have a great holiday and all the best wishes for the coming year.

I will be getting back to you on a variety of topics soon.

ATR