PDA

View Full Version : Premiere Elements & Pro Comparison.

NLAlston
December 9th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I am querying this matter for my brother, who does not have internet service at this time. He is very interested in getting a good video editing program, and had been looking in the direction of Premiere Pro CS4. He has had some prior experience with Adobe Premiere Pro 6, and wishes to stay with a version of the same program. However, CS4 commands too hefty of a price tag for him, right now, and I suggested that he (maybe) consider looking at Premiere Elements 8.

I have searched everywhere I could think of (even at Adobe's website) for a comparison chart showing the differences between the two concerned programs, but there were none that I could find.

It has been often stated that Photoshop Elements 7 makes up about 90% of what CS4 is, and I wondered if the same thing might apply to Premiere Elements and Pro CS4. If that were to be the case, it could mean that my brother may not even need what the smaller version might lack.

The biggest help, however, would be in some direction to comparative information (between the two), providing that there is something of that nature out there. That way, my brother could readily see what was/wasn't included in the Premiere Elements version.

Advanced thanks.

ATR
December 9th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Nathan

For starters please take a look at these two articles, one on Premiere Elements and the other on Premiere Pro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Premiere_Pro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Premiere_Elements

ATR

Chuck Engels
December 9th, 2009, 09:12 AM
There isn't much you can't do with Premiere Elements. I use it for 80% of my professional work and all of my personal work. It is full of features and functions and works very well. The timeline is identical to Premiere Pro so it will be familiar to him.

The main differences are in the ability to have multiple sequences (Timelines) and to be able to nest the sequences. There are a few other differences, like the Adobe Media Encoder and the Pro version includes Encore DVD for DVD authoring.

For the low price of Premiere Elements it is well worth trying out first. Download the trail version and give it a shot. For under $100 there isn't a better video editor out there.

ATR
December 9th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Nathan

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50793

If you do follow up on the free 30 day Premiere Elements 8 tryout from Adobe, please check out my thread on Premiere Elements 8 First Look which will give you a heads up on a lot of the software details.

But, realize that the lower price Premiere Elements vs Premiere Pro does not mean, because Premiere Elements costs less, that it is easier to learn and master than Premiere Pro.

The first thing that you and your brother need to look at is the type of video that your brother is going to be editing and how does he intend to export it and for what purpose..computer viewing, TV viewing, other.

In the review articles on the two programs that I cited earlier, if there is a feature that you do not understand, please let me know and I will try to explain. But, for now, those overview articles should get you on your way to decision making.

ATR

Chuck Engels
December 9th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Nathan,
I think that your brother's previous experience with Premiere 6 will serve him well. There are still many similarities and many things that are done exactly the same way on the Timeline.

ATR
December 9th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Nathan

In all these video editing software, much of the principles remain the same from level to level as well as version to version.

The tricky part comes
(a) how well a feature performs in a given level or version
(b) in locating the feature locations from level to level as well as version to version. Often there is confusion in whether the feature is there and you just cannot find it or whether the feature was not included in that program. In such situations, the program's Help is a great tool. And, forum sites such as these are here to enhance your Premiere Elements workflow experience and answer those challenging questions.

But I would not dismiss Premiere Pro CS4 with you can go most anything with Premiere Elements. It may that other half of most anything that leaves you wanting.

Of course you can download the free tryouts for Premiere Elements 8 and/or Premiere Pro CS4 and compare. But, the bottom line remains that more information is needed on the video editing needs of your brother.

ATR

NLAlston
December 9th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks everyone. You all have been so kind.

I will pass this info on to my brother, and what he decides to come up with.

ATR
December 9th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Nathan

Looking forward to learning of the outcome and answering any questions that you or he might have about Premiere Elements workflow.

Have a great holiday.

ATR

NLAlston
December 9th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Nathan

Looking forward to learning of the outcome and answering any questions that you or he might have about Premiere Elements workflow.

Have a great holiday.

ATR

Thanks ATR. That is very generous of you, and I also wish you & yours a very blessed & happy holiday.