PDA

View Full Version : archiving prob

jamezoo
December 8th, 2009, 12:42 AM
hi,i'm using elements 7 and trying to make an archive or copy of an almost complete project
to save on portable hdd and then load onto another computer,also elements 7,to continue editing with all edits and effects etc transfered
with saved project.can this be done or do the effects have to done again?
thanks,jamezoo.

ATR
December 8th, 2009, 07:06 PM
jamezoo

What program are you using Photoshop Elements 7 or Premiere Elements 7?

ATR

jamezoo
December 9th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Hi,yeah sorry forgot to mention that.I'm using pemiere elements 7.
Thanks.

Wendy
December 9th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Hi jamezoo ..

... and welcome to the Village :)

I will transfer your query over into the Premiere Elements section.

Wendy

ATR
December 9th, 2009, 09:48 AM
jamezoo

You can use the Premiere Elements 7 Project Archiver (Archiver or Copy option) to archive a Premiere Elements 7 project for the purposes indicated.

The "Trimmed or Copied" Folder that is generated will contain an Adobe Preview Files Folder, your project.prel, and media
a. if Archiver option used, Trimmed Folder, then that media will represent the media used on the Timeline
b. if Copy option used, Copied Folder, then that media will represent the media used on the Timeline plus all the Media used in the Media Area whether or not it was dragged to the Timeline for placement there.

When you reopen this project in your other computer, you should see that the project.prel reflects your project when you archived it, editing and all.
But, if you look in the Trimmed or Copied Folder where it is located, any additional media that you introduced into the project.prel in the second computer will not be represented in the Trimmed or Copied Folder after you save the project.prel in the second computer. So, at this stage, you have defeated the purpose (media perk) of the Project Archiver and need to archive again for archiving purposes.

Please let me know if the above helped.

ATR

jamezoo
December 11th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks ATR,very helpful.I all I had to do was open the prel in the archived folder and the project would load itself.It still asking 'where is folder xxx '?
but if I just hit skip all it sorts itself out.
I'm keeping all my files,clips,archived projects etc in a folder in Documents,is that a good place for them?
Thanks for your help.
jamezoo

ATR
December 11th, 2009, 04:06 PM
jamezoo

It is a good idea to keep as much as possible away from the C:\ Local Hard Drive.

Direct as much as possible to an external hard drive (formatted NTFS, not FAT32)...scratch files, project.prel, Trimmed or Copied Folders, video files for storage..., but keep the Premiere Elements program files on the C:\Local hard drive along with the program files of the other softwares).

Those Premiere Elements reconnect problems can be a nuisance once your source media and Premiere Elements get reconnected. The Project Archiver is supposed to minimize those issues. But when you open am archived project, you do need to keep in mind what is happening (see previous comments). Those Missing Media Message can help you resolve those issues. But, do not forget to update the thumbnail in the Organizer/Media area as well.

If you want to get rid of those Missing Media Messages the next time you open the project, make sure that you delete all traces of that media in the project where the media was originally connected...that may mean going into the Preview Media view and deleting traces of them there (look for thumbnail with the typical disconnected look).

It sounds like progress on your side. Keep up the good work.

ATR