PDA

View Full Version : Premiere elements 7 jerky DVD

victordaly
December 3rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
Please please can someone help me?
When I produce a DVD all scenes are jerky. I have searched the forum and although I see others with the same problem there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer or at least one which I as a complete beginner can understand. I have tried numerous options variables and combinations (eg input and output options/ field orders/ clip alternatives) but have yet to stumble on the answer.

Camera :- Canon VIXIA HF100.
S/W :- Premiere Elements 7 runnning under Vista Home Basic (service pack 2)
PC:- Dell Vostro with 4g memory, 111gb hard drive - 49gb free; Intel Celeron CPU - speed 560@2.1ghz.

Yes I know my processor is slow. I'm not looking at this point for HD DVD just good quality with NO JERKINESS.
I've been trying for months now and and am close to throwing the lot into the bucket.
Please help while I still have some hair left.
Thank you,
Victor

ATR
December 3rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
Victor

First what are you shooting with the Canon HF100, SD, HDV or AVCHD (what are the frame size and frame rate and file extension of the video). And, what you intend to create in Premiere Elements 7, DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen?

What project preset (new project dialog) are you setting for Premiere Elements 7? You are apparently recording to a memory card.

How are you importing the video into Premiere Elements 7 (Get Media/Files and Folders)?

Let us start here. The whole issue may boil down to a fields issue since you are recording to a memory card. Two possibilities for that:
(a) use a project preset (new project dialog) for Flash Memory camcorders
OR
(b) right click the video on the Timeline, select Field Options, and then dot the "Reverse Field Dominance"
You do one of the above NOT both.

But best let us look at the overall information and then proceed accordingly.

ATR

victordaly
December 4th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Very many thanks to you ATR for taking the time and trouble to respond to my plea.
I'll answer your questions as best as I can.

From the camera manual "Video are recorded onto an SDHC card using AVCHD specification"
frame size = 1920 x 1080
frame rate = 60
file extension = MTS

I have tried all sorts of project presets but one which seems most relevant is PAL/hard disk flash memory camcorder/ HD1080I 25
I note that the 25fps does not correspond with my camera's 60fps but don't see where this can be changed)

Memory from camera is put into my PC where I import via
files/get media from/pc files & folders and am then prompted to use media downloader.

Thanks you again,
Victor

ATR
December 4th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Victor

Based on what I have read about your Canon HF100

1. you are shooting AVCHD Full 1920 x 1080 (16:9) at 60 fields per second (30 frames per second) and recording that to a memory card. (From what I can see your camcorder offers frames per second options of 30 progressive frames per second (30p), 24 progressive frames per second (24p), or 60 interlaced fields per second (60i) which we can refer to as 30 interlaced frames per second.

2. if that is the case and you want to create a DVD-VIDEO widescreen (16:9)....Premiere Elements 7 project preset (new project dialog) = NTSC DV Widescreen or its PAL counterpart, depending on your location.

3. once you import the video to the Timeline, right click the video there, select Field Options, and dot the "Reverse Field Dominance".

4. proceed to Share/Disc/Disc and using the NTSC Widescreen Dolby DVD preset or PAL counterpart, burn to DVD disc.

If you computer does not have enough resources to deal with an AVCHD project, then consider converting the AVCHD 1920 x 1080 to MPEG2 1920 x 1080 with a free HD converter such as Koyote Soft (http://www.koyotesoft.com), and then bring the MPEG2 1920 x 1080 into Premiere Elements 7.

Please let me know if any of that helped.

ATR

wilpenusa
December 4th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I'm Sure that what ATR is telling you is right, and will help. But in my experience a jerky DVD can becaused by Windows XP accessing the hard drive while you are making the movie and writing the DVD. I find that using a second hard drive store my movies and developing files helps prevent jerkiness. When I had less resources availible I also used config sys to shut down all of those little start up programs that I didn't need.
Leave all Adobe start up programs alone. You can reset them when you are finished.

ATR
December 4th, 2009, 09:43 AM
wilpenusa

Thank you for your comments.

The level of computer resources to meet the task at hand is a major concern even for large size projects that do not involve HDV or AVCHD. And, even with a quad core processor with lots of RAM and free hard drive space, AVCHD Full editing issues persists, forcing many to a less resource demanding format, using HD converters.

Aside from HDV or AVCHD issues, the points that you raised have been raised many times before, but it is good to re-enforce them with first hand accounts of what "worked for me".

As for me....I have installed Photoshop Elements 6/Premiere Elements 4, Photoshop Elements 7/Premiere Elements 7, and Photoshop Elements 8/Premiere Elements 8 on a Window XP Professional SP3 Desktop computer (just use one program at a time).

1. As for disabling Start Up programs, I disable all except "Microsoft Services"
2. I direct Premiere Elements scratch files to an external hard drive (250 GB capacity, formatted NTFS, not FAT32) as well as source media and other, but keep the Premiere Elements program files on the C Local Drive with the program files of the other software.
3. Defragmentation and computer clean up routinely and frequently are musts, as well as clearing out Premiere Elements unnecessary preview files and Media Cache files (conformed audio, cfa and pek) that pile up in the Adobe Folder. There are also a bunch of conformed video files that pile up in a location in Application Data.
4. Virtual Memory Setup to fit the situation. I find that letting Windows make that decision works for me, but there are Microsoft recommendations for that if you think that custom setting might improve the situation..I found it did not.
5. NO multitasking while running Premiere Elements.

Often the jerky video is related to Fields issues...sometimes to source video format...many possibilities. So, look into that if you get a chance. The remedies that you mention above often make a difference when you are getting transcoding errors when trying to burn to disc.

But, if you are confined to a certain level of computer resources and you feel that your computer meets the published System Requirements, the remedies above often fall short of getting a system up and running when it comes to an AVCHD project.

Thank you for sharing what works for you. If you are satisfied with your solution for working with your video issue, we will leave it at that. I often say "Do not mess with a good thing." But, if you want to explore another alternatives as to additional cause and effect, please supply details of your video source and format and computer details and we will explore them together.

ATR

ATR
December 4th, 2009, 09:49 AM
wilpenusa

Add On....

I notice in the list of your programs all Photoshop Elements versions.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using for burn to disc (DVD) or burn to BluRay (BluRay Disc).

ATR

wilpenusa
December 5th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I don't use Premiere Elements! I use Pinnacle Studio and no longer have issues such as jerky DVD because I took thier advise and installed a second drive for my storage and rendering. When I had resource problems I also took thier advise about closing startup programs. I only render the quality that I can display, such as AVI, and mpeg and full size jpeg stop motion, and HD slide shows.
I might say I noticed that your resources were a little short for running AVCHD as a think the minimum recomendation is at least 2.6 gigahertz.

ATR
December 5th, 2009, 08:09 AM
wilpenusa

I might say I noticed that your resources were a little short for running AVCHD as a think the minimum recommendation is at least 2.6 gigahertz.

To what are you referring re: the above quote from your last post? Was it Victor"s speed 560@2.1ghz.

Also, are you saying that you obtained the jerky DVD using Premiere Elements and then switched to Pinnacle Studio where their advice to increase your computer resources resulted in no more jerky DVD? If so, did no one ever suggest increasing your computer resources as part of troubleshooting your Premiere Elements jerky DVD?

Thanks again for comments and feedback.

ATR

victordaly
December 9th, 2009, 01:04 PM
A big thank your for your responses.

ATR - I followed your steps slowly and carefully but unfortunately with the same jerky result. I then converted some files to mpeg2 but these gave the same result.

A tidy & reorg on my hard drive hasn't helped.

How best do I reduce the demand on my PC resources. Would writing the files to an external drive (in what format?) and to DVD from that (perhaps on another PC?) be worthwhile?

regards,

Victor
(resident in Scotland)

ATR
December 9th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Victor

I will be back later with more fuller comments.

Just this quick comment...what is the file extension of the video that you are getting from Canon HF100? I think that you said that the manual said .mts. When the video gets to the Premiere Elements Timeline does it show .mts as the file extension?

If so, at the save hard drive location, try renaming just the .mts part of the file name to .m2t of the file, importing the .m2t version into Premiere Elements, and seeing what the end product looks like.

To be continued....

ATR

ATR
December 14th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Victor

How are you doing with your problem project? Have you have a chance to try those small tests that I suggested in my previous post?

If the problem still persists, I would try further computer clean up:
a. You mentioned about 49 GB free hard drive space. Can you increase that by deleting files that you do not need and moving others to an external hard drive (formatted NTFS, not FAT32)?
b. Where do you have the Premiere Elements Scratch Files directed? (See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.) Try to get as much as possible to an external hard drive with high enough total capacity to do the job. Remember to keep the Premiere Elements program files on the C Local Drive along with the program files of the other softwares.
c. What brand and type of DVD discs are you using for the burn to DVD-VIDEO? What is the speed rating of the disc and the speed rating of the burner? What is the total duration of the Timeline and what is the burn to disc time for it for that specific Timeline content.

Please check again to make sure of the file extension of those source media from the Canon HF100 that you are bringing to the Premiere Elements Timeline.

Have you started a new project and gotten the same results or has this recent issue been confined to one Premiere Elements project?

Have you considered a burn to folder for your Timeline, instead of burn to disc. With this approach, take the VIDEO_TS folder from the saved folder and typically burn it to a DVD disc with burn software (like Nero or Record Now) using the Burn Video Files set instead of make Data Disc.

To be continued....

ATR

ATR
December 15th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Victor

Another thought occurred to me. Although we should go after the resourse angle first....

Have we explored the possibility that your video card might be at the core of this issue?
a. what video card do you have and has it been updated?
b. have we determined that the jerky video is ONLY related to this Canon HF100 video used to generate the DVD VIDEO? What happens if you put some jpeg photos on the Timeline and create a DVD VIDEO from those? Have you ever created a DVD VIDEO successfully (no jerky playback on TV) with any video from the Canon? Is the DVD-VIDEO playback on the computer equally jerky?

ATR

victordaly
December 23rd, 2009, 11:40 AM
Hi ATR

Thanks for your comments will try them and see if it cures the problem

as its driving me mad.

Will be in touch thanks once again for all your help as you know a lot more than I do as that wouln't be hard.

Thanks
Victor

ATR
December 23rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
Victor,

I will be looking forward to your results.

Just keep track of what you have done as you systematically troubleshoot, making sure that you have minimized the variables along the way. And, let me know what you did and what results you got. It will help me figure out the next step if you have not gotten rid of the problem.

ATR