PDA

View Full Version : Change Transition property as default

Ivar._
December 3rd, 2009, 04:28 AM
Hi, I try to make a transition that is based on Cross Dissolve and Centre at Cut as default and make it as Favourite. It's no problem besides that it all the time will make it End at Cut. In the Help it's stated that Centre at Cut is the default, but it's not for me. This will mean to me that I have to change every transition after I have imported my clip, and that feels unnecessary. :confused:

ATR
December 3rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
Ivar._

Check out the following links on transitions, starting with the Premiere Elements 7 Help PDF and the section on Transition Alignment which explains how trimmed and untrimmed clips impact the alignment.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/7.0/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7e66.html

The following thread has a lot of information on transitions including a link to a video on how transitions work.
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35917
(See post #14 for the link to the how transitions work video)

In spite of all the above background information, I believe that your issue goes to transition alignment trimmed vs untrimmed clips coupled with what the Transition Favorite List is all about.

Until proven otherwise, it is my understanding that the Favorite List is a quick way to get at a specific transition without scrolling through the many in the transition section. Its placement on the Timeline content will depend on where you place it (Center at Cut, Start at Cut, or End at Cut) and whether the clips are trimmed or not.

I will check that point out further to confirm the purpose for being of the Favorite List.

To be continued....

ATR

ATR
December 3rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
Ivar._

I have checked around and what I have found seems to confirm my understanding that the Transitions Favorite feature is just a shortcut to getting at the transitions that you use the most, not a place to save transitions with specific properties.

So, please check out the links provided and let me know if you are OK with transitions and how to use them.

ATR

Ivar._
December 3rd, 2009, 12:41 PM
Hi, Thank you for your answer, I have read the links you proposed and found following "A clip that has not been trimmed has a rounded edge in the upper-right corner of the clip.
If neither clip contains trimmed frames, the transition automatically centres over the cut and repeats the last frame of the first clip and the first frame of the second clip to fill the transition duration". That's OK, and probably the reason, but I imported still picture from PSE and how can those be Trimmed, coming straight from the camera?. That I don't understand, I have taken two new blank video clip and even those have no "rounded edges in upper right corner" and will put the transition as End of Cut.:confused:

ATR
December 3rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
Ivar._

Make sure that you expand the Timeline with the -+ slider above the Timeline so that you can see the Timeline contents better.

If you are having trouble aligning the transition (Center at Cut, Start at Cut, or End at Cut), try dragging your transition between the two clips, double clicking the transition to bring up its Properties Panel, and then setting the Alignment there for Center at Cut, Start at Cut, or End at Cut. Most of the time you can do the placement by dragging the transition to its Timeline location with your mouse cursor.

As for trimming and not trimming the clips,

If the clips come to the Timeline with the rounded corners at end (looks almost like photo holders in a scrapbook), that is non trimmed version of the clip. At this point, you could try 2 approaches to trimming a tiny bit off the edges involved in this transition placement....
One Way to trim 1st clip...position your Timeline indicator at the end of the first clip 1...then, with the clip highlighted, tap on the left arrow key maybe 3X to move the Timeline Indicator to the left a little...click on the Scissors Tool to cut the video...right click the tiny portion...select clear.... right click any gap, and select Delete and Close Gap. You could do the same if you want to trim the left edge of the second clip.

Another Way to trim 1st clip...double click the video to bring up the Preview Window and use the In Out points to trim a bit off the the right end of that clip. (In this case, you would click Set In without moving the gray tab, followed by moving the gray tab to near the end of the clip, followed by clicking on Set Out. You will see a gap on the Timeline between the 1st and 2nd clip in this planned 1st clip-transition-2nd clip plan. So right click the gap and select Delete and Close Gap. Same principle if you want also to have a trimmed 2nd clip in the clip1-transition-clip2 scenario.

After you do this re-read the Help PDF on transition alignment and try to repeat what they describe for program placement for trimmed and untrimmed clips.

Please let me know if this helped.

ATR

Ivar._
December 4th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Hi, again
Thank you for your last answer it's clarify a lot to me.
But you don't answer my question of how can it be that the photo I'm importing is trimmed, sort of automatically?
This is why the Centre of Cut doesn't work for me, I think.
"If neither clip contains trimmed frames, the transition automatically centres over the cut and repeats the last frame of the first clip and the first frame of the second clip to fill the transition duration. "
I'm importing by Organizer-Filter by-Select album and then Drag to Sceneline and looking at the picture in Timeline, they are all square, no matter how large I do them.

ATR
December 4th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Ivar._

I need some more information....

If you place two photos on the Premiere Elements Timeline and drag the Cross Dissolve Transition to the Timeline and attempt to place it between the two (Center at Cut), are you saying that it will not and you are left with End at Cut or Start at Cut?

What happens if you expand the Timeline to get a better look at the frames and transition (using the -+ slider above the Timeline), double click the transition on the Timeline to bring up its Properties Panel, go to Alignment property? Can you change the End at Cut or Start at Cut TO Center at Cut there?

What happens if you do all this with two video clips instead of two photos?

ATR

Ivar._
December 6th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I think we have to go back to My first question, it's about to make it easier to import pictures and make the input of a specific Transition as default. I can do and understand everything regarding placement of Transition, but what I wanted to do is to get the system to make PRE to make a Centre at Cut as default when I import pictures. And according to the handbook shall PRE make that if the picture is not Trimmed and now the question, why is the pictures always marked as Trimmed after an import? As from above I import direct from PSE by Select album, I have tried to let PSE to do the Transition but I'm not pleased with the result, it makes a kind of "dotted" impression of the Dissolve Transition.
Everything about the question is to try to make life easier when importing lots of pictures in to one project, it tiresome to change every Transition of maybe 100 pictures.

ATR
December 6th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Ivar._

I will be back later with a comprehensive answer to your question(s).

From what you wrote at the very beginning, it sounded like you were dragging transitions from the Premiere Elements Media to the Timeline, and Premiere Elements 7 would let you use (between the photos there) transition with the transition alignment End at Cut, never Center at Cut.

Your subsequent post, especially the last one, has introduced other issues which I will include in my post to follow later. But, please confirm:

1. You have about 100 photos that you want to put on the Premiere Elements 7 Timeline, all with the same duration and alignment ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

2. Are these photos coming from the Premiere Elements 7 Get Media/Files & Folders OR Photoshop Elements 7 Slideshow Editor/Output option Send to Premiere Elements? Are there any video clips in this Premiere Elements Timeline at any time?

To be continued.....

ATR

ATR
December 6th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Ivan

From your first post in this thread, I was under the impression that you were dealing with placement (alignment) of one transition between two clips on the Premiere Elements Timeline, that is, you could manually place a transition with alignment = End at Cut, but not manually at Center at Cut. That is why I directed you to the Premiere Elements 7 Help PDF write up with the details for trimmed and untrimmed clips and Premiere Elements 7 handling of transitions in these cases. Many times there are problems changing the transition alignment on the Timeline with the mouse cursor, but the program may let you do it in the Properties Palette in its alignment setting there. That is why I labored the point about whether you could change the transition alignment one way or another. Now you say that you are OK with your understanding of placement of these transitions under the circumstances cited.

But I sense that we have not yet settled all the matters……

1. Clip marking related to trimmed and untrimmed clips, but not your photos. Trimmed and untrimmed clips are related to the head tail situation that exists for videos, but not photos. Whereas, trimmed and untrimmed is applicable to video, it is not for photos without the head tail. Look at the expanded Timeline for each.

2. You brought up the matter of setting a default Transition alignment in Premiere Elements 7 as you would for a Transition type or duration. You cannot set a default Transition alignment in Premiere Elements 7. The program automatically goes to an alignment which it decides best suited for the situation at the end of the first clip and the beginning of the second one.

3. If I understand you correctly, your real goal is to place 100 photos on the Premiere Elements 7 Timeline all at the same time with the same transition type, duration, and alignment. If you want to get your photos with same transitions (type and duration) on the timeline, BEFORE you bring your photos into the Media Palette
(a) set your default transition type in the Transition Palette, right clicking the transition wanted, followed by clicking on Set As Default Transition.
(b) set your Transition duration in Edit Menu/Preferences/General (I cannot stress enough that this must be done before the media is imported into the program.)

4. I explored two other scenarios to determine if the alignment choice made by Premiere Elements would differ
(a) Used the Create Slideshow feature (all photos) in the Project Media View
(b) Created a Photoshop Elements 7 slideshow (all photos), outputted it (Send to Premiere Elements) to Premiere Elements 7, and then used the Break Apart Adobe Photoshop Elements Slideshow on it. In both cases, the transition alignment was End at Cut. In all cases, I could change the alignment chosen by Premiere Elements by double clicking the transition on the Timeline to open the Properties Panel and force the alignment to another setting. It is also worthwhile to open the side panel to view the dynamics of the transition clips positioning (click on the stopwatch looking icon which is named Show Timeline).

5. I went through all the details in the Premiere Elements 7 Help PDF, and my findings confirmed the write up there. I would add, with video, I would consider trim/non trim of the end of the first video clip as well as the beginning of the second video clip.

Please let me know if this targeted your further questions.

ATR

Ivar._
December 7th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Hello, again!
First I must appreciate the effort you lay down on helping me out in this matter.
1. New to me, now I understand.
2. That was the key question, as I now understand is not doable, this is sad news.
3. That's OK, I know.
4. I understand.
5. I understand.
As You have noted at 2. above, the answer to my question is, that I have to do the adjustment manually. Time consuming but doable.
Once again, thank you for helping me out with this matter, although the answer was not that I had hopped for, but some new things have I learn through our conversation. :)

ATR
December 7th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Ivar._

I am hoping that not many of the transitions will need too much individual attention and that your workflow will flow relatively smoothly.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Looking forward to learning of your progress.

ATR

ATR
December 11th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Ivar._

I hope all is going well with your projects. I was looking for something else today and came across this great video tutorial on customizing transitions and thought that you might be interested to watch it.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-elements-8/customizing-transitions/

ATR

Ivar._
December 12th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Thank you, for taking the time to posting this link, it was interesting.

ATR
December 12th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Ivar._

Glad that you found the transition link interesting.

Hope that all is going well there.

ATR