PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Card Issue

Bubby Grub
December 2nd, 2009, 03:33 PM
Hi All,

This is not exactly a direct Elements question, so please forgive me, but then again it is conected with Elements.
I am thinking of upgrading our graphics cards, from Nvidia GeForce 9500GT, to this ATI Raideon HD4890, as this has been suggested to me as a good Card. To the question, does anyone out there have this card, or do they know anything about it, and how does it perform with Premier Elements 7 or 8? The Nvidia Card is still giving us problems, so I thought what a great Christmas present!
P.S. I have just received an e-mail from a friend in Singapore who has suggested a Nvidia GeForce GTX260 for video editing.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)

ATR
December 2nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Bubby Grub

Check out the following review on ATI Radeon HD 4890 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX (dated April, 2009)
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/944/1/

Most of these higher speed cards seem targeted for the gamers, but video editing perks have been mentioned in passing. Among other things have you checked your computer power supply specs as related to the use of a higher speed graphic card like the ATI Radeon HD 4890?

ATR

Chuck Engels
December 3rd, 2009, 10:30 AM
Be sure to check what type of card you can insert into your motherboard, there are various types. AGP, PCI-Express, PCI-X, PCI-Express 2.0, and others. I found out that mine would only take PCI-X cards, a little harder to find and fewer choices.

Also, if it is PCI-Express what speed, 1x, 4x, 8x or 16x.
PCI-Express 2.0 is only 16x

You might know all of this already but it is worth mentioning for anyone else that comes along. Just so people don't think that you can put any old video card into any computer :)

ATR
December 3rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
CE

Thanks for the information.

From what I wrote earlier,

Among other things have you checked your computer power supply specs as related to the use of a higher speed graphic card like the ATI Radeon HD 4890?

The points that you made bear looking into under the "among other things" category. I am overwhelmed by the price of those cards so best to buy informed rather than to buy trouble.

ATR

Bubby Grub
December 3rd, 2009, 03:44 PM
Hi Guys,
Thank you so much for all the help you have suggested.
As usual I have found out more from you guys in 5 minutes than what we can find out over here in 3 years!!
My friend in Singapore has just e-mailed me back, and mentioned that the ATI card was a faster speed than the Nvidia, but they do have some driver problems.
I have found a supplier close to us, but it looks like we have to upgrade our power supply which is Antec 430w to a 550w supply to take some of these cards. He can do it for $45 plus $20 install fee, where as our shop wants $145 plus $30. This seems to be one of the problems over here, we can't get any sense out of anyone. Everyone contradicts each other.
So any of your help as usual is greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much once again, so later today, I will research further.
We are starting to wonder what our 10 month old Computers will take!
Thanks Guys. :confused:

ATR
December 3rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
Bubby Grub

Just proceed with caution and do not rush into anything and read as much as you can on these cards.

You will do fine.

ATR

Chuck Engels
December 3rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
My friend in Singapore has just e-mailed me back, and mentioned that the ATI card was a faster speed than the Nvidia, but they do have some driver problems.

On the ATI front, my main editing computer has an ATI card (Diamond Stealth ATI Radeon x1550 512mb), there is a new set of drivers just released last month. ATI is also very good about releasing new drivers on a regular basis and fixing any issues.

One of my other computers that is used for editing has a nVidia Quadro graphics card, I like that one also. Any of the nVidia Quadro cards will be excellent for video editing purposes. My laptop also has nVidia Quadro graphics.

Bubby Grub
December 3rd, 2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks ATR & CE,

Will proceed with caution, and will let you know the outcome.
Thanks for all your help once again, where this is concerned all help
is greatly appreciated.:confused:

ATR
December 3rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
Bubby Grub

You mentioned at the onset that you were in the market for a new video card because you were having problems with your current NVIDIA type card.

But, I never did stop to ask what specific problems that you are having with Premiere Elements and/or your computer system that you believe are related to your current NVIDIA card?

It is going to be very disappointing, after going through the video card upgrade and its associated considerations, if the new gives same performance as the current. So, please let us make sure we are on firm ground in the decision to replace the old video card with a new one.

Please be sure to check out the whole review link that I posted earlier in this thread.

ATR

Bubby Grub
December 3rd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Hi again.
I think there seems to be more involved now than just the Graphics Card.
We have always said that we don't think the cards are up to scratch, but now it also seems that we don't have enough resources to handle what we throw at it in PE. I think that our local shop seems to think that we do a 20 minute slide show with a few transitions and a piece of music, but with us it is certainly not the case. We have motion loops, narration, music, green screen, Bluff Titler titles, sound effects and what ever else we decide seems a good idea at the time. They even make Stephen Spielberg's productions look like a Kindergarten event!!!! (Ha! Ha!)
Basically, power wise, ram etc. we have now found out that we could have had better. We trusted our local shop as they have built 6 computers for us and they knew what we wanted. Now we find out that the Mother Board can't be upgraded, the power supply is inadequate etc.
Considering both our computers are under 1 year old and still under warranty, it is quite disappointing, seeing that we trusted them.
As for the issues, we have quite a few crashes, also when playing the project, the slides (or video) in the Timeline go blank, and when we stop playing the Timeline re-draws itself and then we can see the slides once again. Also playing it in full screen, it freezes quite often, and we have to hit the space bar to start it going again. Also a lot of times it will leave an image of something on the screen. EG One example is if we go into say Time Stretch, you can't use it as there is other wording left over the box. We have to go out of Time Stretch, click onto something else, then go back into it and hope it has cleared. Usually it does, but sometimes it may take two or three goes before it disappears. PE8 puts a couple of digitising lines across the screen, even though it burns fine to a DVD.
Our Computers are all clean, as we run Tune-up Utilities with a scheduled clean each Friday afternoon, which cleans the drives, defrags them etc.
Scratch Files are fine and directed to our 2nd 500Gb drive "I", which is kept especially for Projects in PE.
Now that I have complained enough for the day, I'll get on with my day, and you will probably be calling it a day very soon.
Thanks again for the help. :)

ATR
December 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Bubby Grub

In your computer specifications at the bottom of your posts, you show two Samsung "Screens". Are they being used as dual monitors?

If so, have you found that you get the same computer/Premiere Elements performance whether you are using single monitor or dual monitors with your current video card?

ATR

Bubby Grub
December 3rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Hi again ATR.
My second screen can be set up as a second monitor as the Graphic Card is dual. But my second screen is set up to an older computer and runs through it, as I use it for research on the Internet etc.
As for Little Nac, his is set up to the one computer through the dual card, but the only time he uses it is if he needs to drag something across to it from the Internet, so he can read it into Narration, instead of printing it out.
Seeing as how we bought the screens from the same computer shop, they knew our set up so should have made allowances for the screens.
Little Nac used to use the second screen in PE3 as his Work Monitor, but since PE4 and PE7, doesn't bother doing it quite as much as he prefers it for research. Most of the time they are both turned off.
Thanks again. ;)

ATR
December 4th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Bubby Grub

Thanks for the additional information.

Since you did mention how intensive your projects are, it might be interesting to know which one of the special touches that you bring to your videos has the most impact on your computer resources....size, titles, etc.

ATR

wilpenusa
December 4th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I have found a supplier close to us, but it looks like we have to upgrade our power supply which is Antec 430w to a 550w supply to take some of these cards. He can do it for $45 plus $20 install fee, where as our shop wants $145 plus $30. This seems to be one of the problems over here, we can't get any sense out of anyone. Everyone contradicts each other.

I would start with the power supply and go from there. Dual cards take more power than single cards. What you are doing requires more power tha you have. If you have power connection on the dual cards you should have
a power supply for dual cards. Lack of power can cause a lot of problems.
You might go with a bit more than 550w.

ATR
December 4th, 2009, 08:55 AM
wilpenusa

As per my response back in post #2 of this thread, I would agree that the power supply specs/requirements top the list of considerations for Bubby Grub if she decides to upgrade her video card. And, it looks like Bubby Grub is on top of that aspect.

But, I feel that she and Little Nac need to overview their situation and get into serious discussions about what they need and what their builder has and is supplying them.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

ATR

Bubby Grub
December 4th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks Guys,

Yes through all your help and furthering investigating Power is a major part of the problem, am certainly not rushing into anything, and this time we will not be so trusting and will certainly do some serious talking before taking too many further steps. Still investigating, will let you know of any further outcome.

Thanks once again :cool:

ATR
December 4th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Bubby Grub,

Thanks.

How is Little Nac doing with this rendering/unrendering with Premiere Elements 8 save/close/reopen? Has he worked around that yet with the suggestions already made?

I still want to take a harder look at that, but keep getting detoured. I have not seen that here yet, so I am trying to figure out what I am doing in contrast to those who have run into the rendering/unrendering with Premiere Elements 8 save/close/reopen.

ATR

Bubby Grub
December 4th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Hi Again ATR

In answer to your last question re: Little Nac & PE8. You may recall I did a mini test run in PE8 on his machine on our return from up North.
The results were as follows:

Re-rendering on opening and closing, everything was perfect, but once I started throwing in a title, motion loop, or something from Bluff Titler, then the trouble seemed to start. Each time the program was opened those particular sections needed rendering again, but each time not all, just some of them, always varied. Of course on checking the Preview Folder those sections appeared each time they rendered.

Another thing I noticed, that on playing it through the time-line, monitor or full screen a digitizing line appeared right across the clips, sometimes one, sometimes two in various positions. Anyway after throwing in some music, narration sound effects etc. I rendered, played it through with the digitizing lines appearing all the way. Then burnt to a disc, played through our HD TV and Standard TV, presentation perfect, not a sign of any problems that were appearing on the computer. By the way, aside from the rendering, and digitizing, PE8 performed well on his home machine, though of course it was only a mini project, and there was no need for that small utility that was needed on his other computer.

Conclusion: Well from my very limited knowledge, maybe the problem could be related to computer resources, which we are now checking into and treading very cautiously.

As of right now, Little Nac is in the middle of a project in PE7 as I am. He still has PE8 installed. I do not as with PE8 installed 7 crashed every few minutes.

Any way that is the extent of my mini test run, where we go from here once we finish these particular projects, I have no idea, probably depends a lot on what we decide, re upgrading etc. But as I said we are treading very cautiously, as four machines to keep up to scratch to do what we are doing can be rather an expensive exercise. But I am keeping an open mind on PE8.

With Christmas time coming I am going mad taking lots of pics with my new camera, so DECISIONS, DECISIONS !!!

Thanks once again for all help, it is so good to have someone to turn to for such great advice on all our problems. :)

ATR
December 5th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Bubby Grub

Thanks to you and Little Nac for progress reports for Premiere Elements 8 (and as well as other versions).

ATR