PDA

View Full Version : Background Rendering

thevideomaker
December 1st, 2009, 10:51 AM
Everytime I add a clip to the timeline background rendering comes on and takes forever to render. Is this normal?

ATR
December 1st, 2009, 12:14 PM
thevideomaker

Background Rendering is a new feature of Premiere Elements 8, so I assume that you are working with Premiere Elements 8.

What you are observing comes under the category of "normal".

My recommendation is to disable the Background Rendering via Edit Menu/Preferences/General and removing the check mark next to the Background Rendering feature. You can always do a manual rendering of the Timeline by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard. When the process is complete, the red line over the Timeline will turn green.

This type of rendering gives you the best possible preview of the end product. It does not impact quality of the end product. It is useful for transitions, effects, titles, and non DV AVI content. It can be time consuming depending on the nature of the Timeline and what you are rendering.

Please let me know if that helped and let me know if you have any further questions.

ATR

thevideomaker
December 1st, 2009, 02:07 PM
I have disabled the rendering, but still the clip in the monitor freezes up while the clip is playing.
I have been stuck on a .40 second clip for 2 hours now.
I have Premiere Elements 3 and thought 8 would be a newer and wiser choice.
I dont have these problems with 3 and wonder is the quality of 8 any better.
Is there anything that I can do to eliminate this drag, drop & wait on Pre 8?
I have a AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ 2.50 GHz

ATR
December 1st, 2009, 04:06 PM
thevideomaker

Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and remove the check mark next to Enable GPU Playback and see if that has any impact on your present situation.

Also, make sure that you have not piled up a lot of scratch files on your computer hard drive. Go to the Adobe Folder (default location My Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/8.0) and empty the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder and Media Cache Folder contents. You can also get rid of those Preview Files from within Premiere Elements via Timeline Menu/Delete Render Files.

What exactly is in that 0.4 second video clip...transitions, effects, non DV AVI content...what is its source and format?

Please consider the above and let me know how things are going.

ATR

thevideomaker
December 1st, 2009, 04:47 PM
I deleted the rendered files, the GPU playback is disabled.
The 40 second clip has nothing added to it. No transition, effects or anything. Uploaded from a Samsung H.264. Even though I have disabled the render, It still takes time for my cursor to highlight the next clip I want to drag into the timeline. From previous attempts I know if I try to drag and drop at this time the program will freeze up and I will have to close it and reopen it again. As long as I keep disabling the rendered clip it plays but it still takes time for the image in the monitor to catch up with the track. It still freezes unless I wait.

ATR
December 1st, 2009, 05:49 PM
thevideomaker

Could you please let me know the model of the Samsung from which this video came? I would like to check out the video specifications beyond "H.264".
Does the 0.4 second clip in question represent 1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720, 720 x 480 or something else? Is AVCHD or HDV or SD in this mix?

We could be dealing with a video format issue, but we will not know without further information. Video conversion may be needed to work successfully with this specific video in Premiere Elements 8 in your computer environment.

If this is not SD video, do you have any SD video (ideally DV AVI) that you could import to the Premiere Elements 8 Timeline to see if it behaves the way that this video does?

To be continued.....

ATR

thevideomaker
December 1st, 2009, 06:13 PM
Samsung model #SC-MX20B
It uploads as a .MP4
I have nothing in AVI. I stay away from them large files. LOL

ATR
December 1st, 2009, 07:08 PM
My homework on the video specifications for your Samsung SC-MX20B video suggests that you have video 720 x 480i with H.264 compression and a .mp4 file extension. The camera seems to offer a choice between shooting 4:3 or 16:9. The reviews for the camera's video all seem to start with "no video editing software will recognize my...."

Whether you decide to use it on a permanent basis or not, file conversion is the next immediate action in our troubleshooting. And, for this purpose I would like you to try the Prism software to convert your video (presumed 4:3) from .mp4 to DV AVI. The software can convert challenging video, but is limited to 4:3 for this conversion. Let us see if your Premiere Elements manages to work with the converted version. (DV AVI is the native format of the Premiere Elements Timeline.)

http://download.cnet.com/Prism-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-10644345.html

The above is the link to the free Prism Video Converter which should serve our troubleshooting purpose in this case. You will be setting up for .avi with the DV Encoder. If you need a step by step, please let me know, and I will dig them out.

ATR