PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Premiere Elements - making background transparent

MelissaMorgan
November 30th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Hello

I am filming and editing with Adobe premiere elements.

I film on a green background and usually input an image behind what I am filming easily. For something I am doing now, I need to cut round a presenter so it is just a film of them.

Does anyone know how to achieve this?

Thanks

Melissa

ATR
November 30th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Melissa

What version of Premiere Elements are you using?

For now I will just talk in generalization and give you more specific details as needed.

Effects
Video Effects
Keying Category: you could apply the Green Screen Key to your video to make the green transparent, or you could try Chroma Key there to achieve the same color replaced by transparency goal.

Videomerge Category: Videomerge is often referred to as the automated version of Chroma Key, and some prefer the results from it.

After application of one of these, you click on the Edit Effects tab at the bottom of the Effect Palette and do just that.

Often the key to green screen effect is more in the prep. So, let us see how you do with the above Premiere Elements effects before all else. If you need a step by step please let me know.

ATR

Chuck Engels
November 30th, 2009, 04:30 PM
It sounds like Melissa is familiar with the green screen key and how to use it. This particular piece of video in question seems to not have been shot in front of a green screen. My question is, what kind of background do you have to work with?

ATR
November 30th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Melissa,

I am not sure how another poster knows exactly what you are doing and what your level of knowledge is with regard to using Premiere Elements green screen key or chroma key or....

I would imagine, if you knew, you would not be asking.

So, I am looking forward to your responses to my questions and comments so that we can work together to achieve your goal.

ATR

Chuck Engels
December 1st, 2009, 08:48 AM
Because of this statement ATR, that's how I can tell. I've been doing this for almost 5 years now, let's just call it intuition ;)
I film on a green background and usually input an image behind what I am filming easily.

ATR
December 1st, 2009, 09:37 AM
CE

Thanks for the intuition, but best we both look forward to Melissa's first hand detailed account.

ATR