PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Background problems-Any help, Please!

TA-INSPIRED
October 16th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Hi, I'm new to this board and fairly new to Photoshop Elements. I am an illustrator and us Elements 4.0 to correct my illustrations before printing, as well as a slew of photos. My problem is after I scan the images into Elements they are coming up with a light gray hue to the background. (I only know this because of corrections I've made to the image and when reprinted you can see where it has been erased.) Can anyone tell me how to get this to be white without losing any color or detail to my illustrations? I tried to posterize but that changed the detail too much. NOTE: my illustrations are very detailed with ink and watercolor. I also use a Mac and scan from an HP J6480 at 600dpi to a tiff into Elements 4.0.

Byron Gale
October 16th, 2008, 01:26 AM
TA-INSPIRED,

Without seeing the image, I speculate this is because the paper you're scanning is not PURE white, but when you erase parts of it, your pure white background is showing through.

For screen display purposes, you could pick up the color of your paper and use this as your Background color - so that when you erase, the same color will show through.

For printing, though, you probably want to adjust things so that your paper is pure white. You can do this by applying a Levels adjustment layer, selecting the right-hand eyedropper (for setting the white point), and clicking on the gray-ish paper.

Try that and see whether things improve.

Byron

TA-INSPIRED
October 16th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Thanks!! I will try that.

I also just figured out that if I make the background layer a real layer and then use the background erase tool I was able to erase the whole background then I dumped in the color white and it worked. I will try your way too. Appreciate the help.

GaryK
October 16th, 2008, 05:16 PM
TA

You could also try magic wanding the background (or selecting however you want) and then use the hue/sat adjustment layer to desaturate and lighten the background.:)