PDA

View Full Version : Help for pse6 (mac)

jacks
October 1st, 2008, 05:35 AM
Have loaded up pse6 on my mac, all looks as it should until I tried to load a photo to try out some of the goodies!

I went to "open" which opened my iphoto, clicked on the photo I wanted to edit but nothing!! It must be something basic but I can't figure it out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Just tried it again and it says it can't because of an 'error' in the programme, nothing else.

frank abramonte
October 1st, 2008, 08:05 AM
jacks, there are 2 things you can try.

1. Launch PS Elements. Once Elements is running,
Go to File>Open and choose the photo you want to open.
Highlight it and click on the open box

2. Find the photo on your desktop and double click on the photo icon. That should open it.

stanokella
October 1st, 2008, 08:46 AM
Or another option, find the photo you want to edit in iPhoto or whereever else it is and drag it to the PSE symbol on the dock.

jacks
October 1st, 2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks for your replies but no luck, says it can't do it because of a programme error?

I opened elements6, clicked on file. clicked on new. this opened my link to iphoto. clicked to bring the pictures up and then the error message came!

Can't even get as far as clicking on a picture, any more ideas?

Thanks again

frank abramonte
October 1st, 2008, 09:21 AM
Try one more thing.
Highlight the photo icon on the desktop and get info Cmd+I
When the window opens go to "Open with:" and select Photoshop Elements
Close the window and try opening the photo again, try both ways.
By the way what mode is the photo Jpeg, index color, etc.?

http://www.pixentral.com/hosted/1Wp1bHU8MN84PRm7VJblMxEUYYELPY_thumb.jpg (http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1Wp1bHU8MN84PRm7VJblMxEUYYELPY)

frank abramonte
October 1st, 2008, 09:45 AM
jacks , just realized that you should try resetting your PSE preferences.
You could also repair your disc permissions using Disk Utilities

To reset your PSE preferences:
Hold down the Command, Option, Shift keys while you launch Elements.
When you get message if you want to reset the preferences click OK.

To reset your permissions:
Double click on Disk Utility in the utility folder at the bottom of the applications folder. Highlight your HD and click on Repair Disk Permissions.

lruther1
October 1st, 2008, 11:47 AM
When working from iphoto is advisable to select your image in iPhoto and either drag to the PSE icon or set the iphoto preference to open with PSE and double click. I usually use the 1st. iphoto also prefers to be in charge of importing. Saving from another ap such as PSE directly into iphoto can cause file corruption per iphoto help. I save to a desktop file after editing and use iphoto's import feature to do batch imports from that file. Another cool feature disk utility can do for you is set up another disk image 4.7GB in size. After importing to iphoto, I move the images to the disk image and when it's full, burn to dvd, move the files to trash, and start over. Since I followed iphoto help directions for moving my library to an EHD, I always have copies in 2 places.

emkayess65
October 1st, 2008, 04:46 PM
I opened elements6, clicked on file. clicked on new. this opened my link to iphoto. clicked to bring the pictures up and then the error message came!

Ok, I'm on Windows, don't know beans about Mac...

But that sequence just is not right.
Click on new......= open a new blank file.
Open the link to iphoto... = open an existing picture.

I would squawk and get confused too.

One or the other.

mks

frank abramonte
October 1st, 2008, 05:30 PM
mks, check my suggestions in post #6.

emkayess65
October 1st, 2008, 08:46 PM
Hi Frank, I don't understan what you are saying?
You said to reset Prefs.

I said you cannot say NEW and then try to open an Existing picture?
Is Mac that different ???
mks

frank abramonte
October 1st, 2008, 09:49 PM
!I went to "open" which opened my iphoto, clicked on the photo I wanted to edit but nothing!! It must be something basic but I can't figure it out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Just tried it again and it says it can't because of an 'error' in the programme, nothing else.

emkayess65, Jacks mentioned open in his initial post. That's what my suggestion was in reference to. This seems to indicate that he knows the difference between open and new.

NancyG
November 20th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks for your replies but no luck, says it can't do it because of a programme error?

Thanks again

just got a new mac, was a Paint Shop Pro person, bought Photoshop Elements 6 and I can't figure it out either...you can find a photo in IPhoto but nothing happens with it. I tried exporting a "event" of pics to my documents and that did work but that is a real pain, more housekeeping in the document folder. There has got to be a way to get the programs to work together...ugh!!! I get the same error messages that you get the other way. I also miss my scratch tool:( from PSP

Nancy...who needs help!!!!!!!!:)

Rooeey
November 20th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I can only speak of my own experiences but i am on PSE6 Mac...

I open PSE and click on Brdige {I assume bridge came as part of PSE6}
navigate to the folder or application in my case Applications>Iphoto
I photo then opens up i then go to events and open up the folder with the photo i want click and drag a photo from said folder it then opens up in the PSE screen...Then in the frame with all the photos click on the one you want and BOBS YOUR UNCLE....Well he is mine at least....

WARNING I AM NO EXPERT BUT THIS WORKS FOR ME....

RonH
November 20th, 2008, 09:08 PM
NancyG,
I answered some of these items in your other post at the end of the thread. http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35905

For everybody else I posted some links in that thread about using iPhoto and PSE.

There are about three different ways to use it. I think Frank, Wendy and I each have a slightly different way of going about it. but between this thread and the links in the other thread I think you well see most of them.