PDA

View Full Version : No DVD Burners Detected

mdfenemer
April 6th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Hi all, I am new here. i have looked through this forum and adobe forums but i cannot get an answer as to why my Premiere Elements 3 cannot see my DVD burner:mad:. I have updated my my firmware for my dvdrom drive, my Windows vista is up to date and my PE3 is V3.0.2. Which as far as I can see is the only update avaliable to me. All this has been done because of different forum threads. But still I cannot burn my movie to disk. I know about saving to file but I have not got nero to then burn the file. My HP PC came with Roxio easy media creator which unless I upgrade will not burn VOB files. Is there anybody that can help me use the adobe software that does not do what is says on the box:mad: many thanks mark.

ATR
April 6th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I will be back later, but for now:

1. What version of Vista do you have? Certain versions have Windows DVD Maker as well as a Windows Movie Maker. Look to see if your version has the DVD Maker and, if so, the instructions for "publishing a DVD".
2. Is Sony Vaio involved in your setup?

ATR

ATR
April 6th, 2008, 09:13 AM
These are some Adobe TechNotes for you to check out if you have not done so already:

CD or DVD drive not recognized by Windows after you install an Adobe application
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb402306&sliceId=2

Troubleshoot errors or freezes when you burn DVDs (Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0)
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=333162&sliceId=2

Also, take a look at this 2007 topic from the Adobe Premiere Elements User to User Forum at Adobe:
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.3bc412e6/0

ATR

mdfenemer
April 6th, 2008, 11:19 AM
hi thx for your reply,

My spec are as follows.....

HP m9090.uk
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
3gb ram
1Tb Hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Hauppauge WinTV 885 Video Capture
Realtek High Definition Audio

I am now going to look at the links you have posted. I will post back if any help. cheers Mark.

mdfenemer
April 6th, 2008, 11:20 AM
sorry forgot to say that i do have windows DVD maker which was bundled with the PC

mdfenemer
April 6th, 2008, 11:21 AM
oops sorry again, my windows is vista home premium 32 bit

lwc
April 6th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Have you ever been able to burn a dvd?
You mentioned that your firmware was up to date for your "dvdrom" drive,
dvdrom is a read only drive.

mdfenemer
April 6th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Now that you mention it this PC is only 5mths old and I don't think I have ever been able to burn a DVD. I have at least four saved projects and neither one was buned to disc.

:confused:Just an update to the links posted earlier I have read and tried all the of the fixes but still no burner is detected. :confused:

ATR
April 6th, 2008, 01:59 PM
mdfenemer

This is not the answer but a work around for you to try and maybe get some clues from:

If you have saved Premiere Elements projects, open one and convert the Timeline content to DV AVI via File Menu/Export/Movie. When you do that you have a copy of this DV AVI version saved to the location that you designate as well as to the media in the Premiere Elements project that you have opened. Use the DV AVI saved to the hard drive location and "publish" to DVD with your Windows DVD Maker.

This mini project will give us two things: a workaround and finding out if your DVD burner works. BTW, specifically which DVD burner do you have?

The fact that you cannot burn to folder troubles me. In your updating have you updated the Realtek drivers?

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c057647
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc23436

I will be watching to see how you do with the suggested workaround.

ATR

mdfenemer
April 7th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Hi,

I have now added the dv avi to DVD maker and burnt a disc which works great the burning process took around forty minutes. The disc works fine on the PC. However take to it the dvd player and I just get a read error message. I am presuming that the DVD player is not compatible with the DVD+rw I used.
Thanks for the help and advise. I did upate all the drivers and windows is up to date too.
My DVD burner is a non branded "HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GSA-H60L ATA" which is a standard factory fit by HP. (firmware is up to date)
I would still like the £50 adobe software to work but at least I can burn DVD's.
Thanks again.

ATR
April 7th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Glad to learn that the workaround does work in your situation.

Check out the specifications of your TV/DVD player. You need the player to be compatible with the disc format (DVD - + R, etc.) as well as the format of the content on the disc (DVD-VIDEO format, etc.)

If that does not prove to be the issue, then let me know and we will try to figure out what is happening.

ATR

Concertpix
April 8th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I have exactly the same problem, but with Elements 4 and Windows XP (SP 2). The strange thing about it, is that I managed to burn DVD's last week from a finished Première Elements 4 project, with exactly the same configuration. I finished a new project today and when I tried to burn a DVD, I got a message saying: "no burners detected'! Whereas last week, in exactly the same circumstances, I never got that message and burning worked out fine... Spooky! What could have caused this sudden change?

ATR
April 8th, 2008, 02:08 PM
First, go to My Computer, right click it, and from the drop down menu select Properties. In Properties, select Hardware and check to see if the DVD/CD drive is listed as "enabled".

Depending on what you find, think back to last week when everything was working OK. Since then did you add or remove any programs, etc.

If you have multiple burners, are you selecting the one into which your DVD is inserted? Recheck you steps in the Share section.

Let me know what happens.

ATR

Concertpix
April 8th, 2008, 02:30 PM
First, go to My Computer, right click it, and from the drop down menu select Properties. In Properties, select Hardware and check to see if the DVD/CD drive is listed as "enabled".

Depending on what you find, think back to last week when everything was working OK. Since then did you add or remove any programs, etc.

If you have multiple burners, are you selecting the one into which your DVD is inserted? Recheck you steps in the Share section.

Let me know what happens.

ATR

Many thanks for the fast reply! The burner is enabled, it burns data-DVD's full of JPEG's all the time (I'm a professional photographer). The PC only has one burner, and the only thing that happened since last week is... that I burned about 7 data-DVD's. It's a complete mystery to me. I used the 'way around'-advice and as I type this I'm burning a DVD after having burned my project to a map first and then letting Nero have a go. That works, but it's not what I bought Elements 4 for.
Thanks and kind regards
Luc

ATR
April 8th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Luc

If you are sure that you did not add/subtract from the system going from good to bad and that Premiere Elements 4 burn to disc worked a few days ago, then let us consider some remedies for unexplained behavior.

Have you read about or tried to "flush the preferences"?
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbdd316

Do I understand you correctly, in Share, Burner Location, you do not have an entry? It is not that the message below says "Not Ready"?

Have you optimized your computer systems lately, namely defragmentation, as well as checking for free hard drive space? Do you have an external hard drive attached to your computer? If so, what file format?

The other day I had a strange computer malfunction. The computer refused to let me save to an InCD disc that I use all the time and had plenty of space left. It kept telling me that I was not authorized to use the directory. I hit the solution before I decided to go to a new user account. It was the InCD program that had decided to quit suddenly for unknown reasons. That was confirmed when reinstallation of the InCD program resolved the issue.

Review previous links and suggestions. A Premiere Elements 4 reinstall may be in order. How long have you been using the program? I will continue to think about this.

ATR

ATR
April 8th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Add on...

Have you reviewed the following link yet?
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb402332&sliceId=2

ATR

Concertpix
April 9th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Luc

If you are sure that you did not add/subtract from the system going from good to bad and that Premiere Elements 4 burn to disc worked a few days ago, then let us consider some remedies for unexplained behavior.

Have you read about or tried to "flush the preferences"?
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbdd316

Do I understand you correctly, in Share, Burner Location, you do not have an entry? It is not that the message below says "Not Ready"?

Have you optimized your computer systems lately, namely defragmentation, as well as checking for free hard drive space? Do you have an external hard drive attached to your computer? If so, what file format?

The other day I had a strange computer malfunction. The computer refused to let me save to an InCD disc that I use all the time and had plenty of space left. It kept telling me that I was not authorized to use the directory. I hit the solution before I decided to go to a new user account. It was the InCD program that had decided to quit suddenly for unknown reasons. That was confirmed when reinstallation of the InCD program resolved the issue.

Review previous links and suggestions. A Premiere Elements 4 reinstall may be in order. How long have you been using the program? I will continue to think about this.

ATR

Thaks for the reaction. I'm going to read the 'flush the preferences'. Indeed, I get no entry in 'burner location' . Hard disk has been defragmented recently (but before the Elements 4 use) and I'm using a 500 GB external Lacie hard disk for the projects and final video's. I'll reinstall the program and get back with more news in an few days (have to go away on shooting).

ATR
April 9th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Just a quick add on about your external hard drive....have your formatted it from FAT32 to NTFS?

ATR

Concertpix
April 18th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Just a quick add on about your external hard drive....have your formatted it from FAT32 to NTFS?

ATR

No, I haven't. I wouldn't know how... But, it worked with the very same hard drive before so I imagine that that will not be the problem? I'm already used to burn via the AVI-file and Nero (which takes only a minute or so longer, I presume) but it stays very awkward that it worked in the beginning and failed to do so afterwards. By the way: do you think that I would have the same kind of problems with a Mac? (I'm planning to buy one...)

ATR
April 18th, 2008, 06:28 AM
First, regarding PC versus MAC, as far as I know, Premiere Elements 4 is a Windows Only program. MAC users would probably be using iMovie for similar tasks.

http://www.wired.com/software/softwarereviews/news/2007/09/adobe_premiere4

I would take the time to rule in or out any problems related to FAT32/NTFS external hard drive format. There are several online links. Check this one out to see if it helps any and/or get help/instructions from the manufacturer of the external hard drive.

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/hardware-advice/6436-formatting-external-hard-drive.html

Have you gone through all the steps in the Adobe TechNote previously posted in this thread?

You say everything worked fine at one point in time. Do you have System Restore on? If so, have you tried a System Restore point when you think that everything was working OK?

To be continued…..

ATR

Concertpix
April 28th, 2008, 02:56 PM
You're quite right, Adobe Première Elements 4 does not exist for Mac. In the shop they tell me that Adobe did'nt bother to make a Mac-version because the Apple editing software is too popular ans sales would be marginal.
Anyway, the problem has solved itself, as I shall be saving all my finished DV-movies to tape. I went to the local video-club the other night and was astonished to see the difference in quality between a beamer-projection of my DVD and the DV-tapes of the other members. So for the rare case that I shall need a DVD, I'm not seeing it as a problem to burn it via Nero. Thanks for you advice!

Alar
March 1st, 2009, 11:26 PM
Have any of you installed Nero 9 recently?

We have, and suddenly PE3 has the message "No DVD burners available"

ATR
March 2nd, 2009, 08:55 AM
Alar,

It would be to your advantage to start a new thread on this topic.

But, let us see what we can do.

What is your operating system? Do you have Premiere Elements 3.0.2 (not just 3) installed on your computer, and was it recognizing your DVD burner before you installed Nero 9?

What DVD burner do you have and have you updated the firmware? Does Nero 9 work with (recognize) your DVD burner?

Nero is notorious for creating driver issues/conflicts. It may end up with you having to use a Nero Clean Tool to remove Nero and then reinstalling it.

If you have an emergency project to complete, possible workaround might be:
Use Premiere Elements 3.0.2 burn to folder, and the burn the VIDEO_TS folder from the saved folder to DVD, using Nero 9 (Nero Vision, Burn Video Files category).

I will be back later to view your response. I will look around for similar reported problems re: Nero 9 and Premiere Elements.

ATR

Alar
March 3rd, 2009, 03:25 AM
Sorry, I mis-quoted the error message. The actual wording is "No DVD Burners Detected".

Operating System is Vista Home Premium, SP1.

I tried uninstalling the DVD burner driver and letting the PC reinstall it during restart but no change.

The version of Premiere Elements was 3.0.2 but we've just finished reinstalling it so it's currently 3.0 but it will be updated to 3.0.2 again.

We have an ASUS DRW-1814BLT Lightscribe DVD/CD burner. I don't think this drive has had a firmware update. Nero 9 recognizes and uses the DVD burner and, yes, Premiere Elements was recognizing the DVD burner before we installed Nero 9.

The suggestion of using a Nero Clean Tool to remove Nero may be a good one.

ATR
March 3rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
Alar

Let us know how you do with the Nero 9 Clean Tool uninstall.

Certain versions of Vista come with an integrated Windows DVD Maker, Windows Movie Maker, and Photo Gallery. So, until we have your issue resolved, you may want to consider as alternative routes to DVD-VIDEO creation:
1. Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Burn to Folder, followed by burning the VIDEO-TS to DVD with Nero 9 (Burn Video Files Category and/or Burn DVD Files Category). I believe that category is under Nero 9's Nero Express, not Nero 9's Nero Vision. Usually Nero's "Make Data DVD" does not work for this purpose. I have Nero 7.
2. Exporting your Premiere 3.0.2 to DV AVI and then using your Vista Windows DVD Maker to create (publish) a DVD-VIDEO.

ATR

Alar
March 4th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Thanks for your help, ATR.

I have satisfactorily used Premiere Elements 3.0.2's burn-to-folder option and then imported the files into another PC for burning in Premiere Elements 4.0.

I'll let you know how the Nero 9 Clean Tool uninstall goes.

Alar
March 5th, 2009, 12:22 AM
ATR

Great news!

I uninstalled Premiere Elements 3.0.2(PE3) and Nero 9. I then ran the Nero General CleanTool, deleted a couple of left-over files, folders, and registry entries, restarted, then reinstalled PE3.

I can now burn DVDs from PE3 again. Great!

I wonder if there are other DVD creation programs which can take command of your DVD burner. Maybe this is what is causing problems for some of the other contributors to this forum?

Thanks for your tips, ATR.

Regards
Alar

ATR
March 5th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Alar,

That was indeed great news.

There are all sorts of conflicting possibilities, but Nero is particularly notorious for messing up drivers and the like. Nero's development and use of the Nero Clean Tool tries to address some parts of that problem. (This type of issue exists for other Nero versions as well as 9.)

Your Premiere Elements 3.0.2 seems to be OK now. Did you attempt to reinstall Nero 9? Because there is so much resource/software variation from user to user, the systematic approach to troubleshooting expedites the path to resolution.

If you have time, please let us know how your projects are progressing.

ATR

dill
March 6th, 2009, 12:56 PM
No DVD burner detected.
On version 3 and 4 I have experienced problems on certain computers. I don't have the answer but I think it is because on an older computer the DVD burner is connected with parallel wires and the new computers the burners have the serial ATA connections. Could this be the problem and if so has anybody discovered a way around this?

Chuck Engels
March 6th, 2009, 01:40 PM
The primary, but not only reason, for this error is out of date dvd burner firmware. In well over 50% of the cases, updating the firmware solved this problem. In other cases the DVD Burner is simply not compatible with Premiere Elements, that has happened in a few cases as well. This is usually because the manufacturer has not developed firmware that Premiere Elements can use to communicate with the drive.

I have had the same error multiple times on multiple machines, a firmware update of the DVD drive has always solved the problem for me.

ATR
March 6th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Dill

There are many problems out there with the same symptoms, but with different causes. In this case, are you experiencing this problem or are you just speculating with regard to past problems and long gone computers/burners?

Have you determined whether you are dealing with a disc not recognized versus no burners listed in the drop down list for burner location? Have you ruled out driver/other software conflicts and the like?

If we can help you troubleshoot a current problem, please give us some specifics on "certain computers", "those associated DVD burners", and what has worked for you, and we will try to look beyond firmware update if a firmware update is no available longer available and/or it does not solve the problem.

If this is not a current problem, we will nonetheless offer comments (speculations) but we would need more specifics even for that.

I will be watching for your further progress. You might want to start your own thread so that you findings do not get hidden.

ATR

ATR
March 6th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Dill,

Just an add on......

I am generalizing now....I have some rather old computers (that part is a fact) with which to work. I have installed about 3 new DVD burners within the last five years. Not because of problems with the DVD burners, but rather to get a "better" DVD burner each time. I have not had any problems with Premiere Elements recognizing my DVD discs and/or DVD burners.

ATR

Alar
March 14th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Hi ATR

As I mentioned earlier, I used the Nero CleanTool. Now I have reinstalled Nero 9. It works just fine and so does Premiere Elements 3.02. I guess the message is: read the instructions and don't take shortcuts with Nero, and maybe other software, (blush).

And now for a rhetorical question: I wonder why Nero don't use the CleanTool as a part of their uninstall procedure?

Happy editing
Alar

ATR
March 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Alar

First, I am glad that your Nero and Premiere Elements 3.0.2 are now co-existing.

When I ran into similar problems a few years ago with Nero and I went to Nero T/S, that is when I learned of the Clean Tool for the different Nero versions. I had trouble downloading the tool from its web site, and its T/S was very helpful in getting me the tool that I needed for a clean uninstall of a prior version. It appears to be Nero T/S's first line of attack on these issues. I have found it does the job. Just make sure that you have the Clean Tool specific for the Nero software with which you are trying to install/uninstall.

To answer your question...I think that Nero does use the Clean Tool as part of the uninstall process. From what I have read, some people encounter Nero driver take over problems, some do not. I suspect that Nero waits for the call to its T/S to bring "Clean Tool" up in troubleshooting. I have not looked at any of its User Guides lately.

Continued success and keep us updated on your progress.

ATR

bgburf
March 17th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I have also been having a problem with no burners detected.
I have Dell Inspiron 530 with Vista Home premium. After shutting down the system (not rebooting), when I open PE4 and try to burn a disc I get the NO burners etc even though I was successfully burning in the previous session. The only way I can burn again is to uninstall PE4 and then reinstall. Repairing via Control Panel doesn't work. Roxio came preinstalled on my system and I have removed it. After reading previous comments in this thread regarding Nero I'm wondering if mine problem is related to Roxio. I have a laptop using XP and have PE 4 and Roxio both installed and have no problems. I have spent many hours searching the web and have tried many things but to no avail. Any help would be very appreciated.

ATR
March 17th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Just a few questions for now...

1. Can you Burn to Folder with your Premiere Elements 4 (Vista Home Premium/Premiere Elements 4/Roxio system)?

2. How much available RAM (from System Information) and free hard drive space does your Vista Home Premium have? In contrast, how much available RAM and free hard drive space do you have for the laptop (Windows XP/Premiere Elements 4/Roxio).

Have you thought about temporally uninstalling Roxio from the Vista Home Premium system and see what happens with regard to Premiere Elements 4 recognizing your DVD burner? Could this be a DLA driver issue? If so, can you disable the DLA driver instead of a complete uninstall of Roxio? By the way, what version of Roxio do you have? Is it a Vista compatible? A quick browse of the Internet showed a lot of links re: Roxio and Vista compatibility issues.

To be continued.....

ATR
(Did your Vista come with a Windows DVD Maker?)

bgburf
March 17th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks ATR for your quick response.
Yes, I can burn to a folder.
I have 4Gb of ram and 197Gb of free disc space.....tons more than the laptop with XP.
I can find no reference to DLA on my system.
My Vista came with Windows DVD Maker.
Roxio Creator came pre-installed and I can only assume that Dell used a copy compatible with Vista. I uninstalled this and installed Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 which is for Vista, and has since been uninstalled. I also noted all the problems quoted on the web regarding roxio and I manually removed all references to it and Sonic from the registry.
In desperation I downloaded and purchased Perfect Uninstaller and was surprised to see 2 copies of PE 4 on my system. This didn't show in Control Panel. Using this program I uninstalled both of these copies and Photoshop Elements 6 for good measure and then reinstalled both. PE 4 immediately recognised the presence of a burner but when I shut down and then rebooted, no burner again.
I know I can burn a disc via burning to a folder but I would also like the opportunity to copy discs for backup purposes. I am now at a complete loss.

ATR
March 18th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Still thinking about this one....just some quick miscellaneous questions for now....

1. The time when Premiere Elements 4 did recognize your DVD burner (that is before the reboot wiped that out), could you use Burn To Disc to generate a DVD-VIDEO?

2. Can you take the Premiere Elements 4 Timeline, export as DV AVI (File Menu/Export/Movie), and then use that saved DV AVI and your Windows DVD Maker to generate a DVD-VIDEO with your DVD burner?

3. When you talk about the opportunity to make copies for backup purposes, are you referring to generating DVD-VIDEO on a DVD disc via Burn To Disc or making exact copies of a DVD-VIDEO already on a DVD disc?? Have you explored the Premiere Elements 4 Project Archiver for saving your projects?

To be continued.....

ATR

bgburf
March 18th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Yes, I could always burn a disc when PE 4 recognized the burner, and yes I can export to Windows DVD Maker and generate a DVD movie.

I like to make exact copies of my software and store the originals in a safe and install and reinstall using the copies.

I can't help but think that this is a combined problem with Vista as it doesn't occur on my laptop under XP, but any solution offered in Microsoft forums hasn't helped.

Keep thinking please ATR.

ATR
March 18th, 2009, 07:46 PM
For better or worse, I am thinking away....

So, more questions:

I am assuming that you are using your laptop via a wireless connection? If so, what kind of a wireless connection is it? If you are using a wireless connection, can you disable the wireless connection and run Premiere Elements 4 to determine if you can consistently maintain the Premiere Elements 4 recognition of your DVD burner in a wired environment?

The question that follows can blow that last question away...is your Windows XP an operating system for a wired or wireless computer setup?

Would you have a friend with an external DVD burner that you could connect via USB to your laptop and see if that impacts the issue?

Just one more questions for now....is it possible to disable (not uninstall) the Vista Windows DVD Maker and determine if that is a factor in this issue?

I am not ready to give up. Recently, I had to purchase a new printer. As with the old printer, I wanted to have it shared with my Desktop and laptop computers. I tried every trick possible but could not make that happen UNTIL...I discovered changing the printer name in the Desktop's Printers & Faxes (shortening it from the Mfg default name) made it work. So, bottom line, do not give up. But, as in all we do and conclude, I hope that the fix is a real fix rather than a solution derived by some variable playing games with us.

ATR

bgburf
March 18th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I appreciate your time ATR.
PE4 works happily on my laptop with and without the wireless connection.
How do I disable DVD maker? I tried once before but without much success.
I wont give up if you don't. This really bugs me and whilst I always have my laptop to fall back on, that's not the point. I am fairly computer literate but not prepared to go my own way into the registry without direction.

pmanning
November 21st, 2010, 08:06 PM
I have used my PE2.0 with success for months until I eliminated what I thought was useless files in my computer. Now my dvd burning isn't recognized. Can someone tell me how to get my sony dxr810 back up and running with this program. The dvd works fine except in elements.

ATR
November 22nd, 2010, 07:28 AM
pmanning

Please start your own new November 2010 thread instead of tacking onto a 2009 thread.

Problems with the same symptoms often have different causes.

We want to focus on your situation and the specific details of that situation.

We will be looking forward to your follow up in your own new thread and will have lots of questions for you. The answer is in the details.

Thanks.

ATR