PDA

View Full Version : Help file/manual

markson
October 26th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Hello,
Is it possible to just download the manual/help file for Photoshop Elements 4.0?
Thank you

Carbone
October 26th, 2005, 06:44 AM
No, but you can ask your questions here. Some users have already upgraded to PSE4, so you should have answers rapidly.

Ray

markson
October 26th, 2005, 06:51 AM
I'd like to read the manual first - before installing the software and before asking questions that are answered in a manual... Adobe must be able to make the manual available on line / for download...

Carbone
October 26th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Here's an idea.. download the tryout version, which comes with the help files.

There are no manual with PSE4 (not a full PDF I mean). But in the Help, you'll find your answers I am sure.

Ray

markson
October 26th, 2005, 07:05 AM
I wouldn't like installing the app just to get help files... Is there no other way?

Carbone
October 26th, 2005, 07:20 AM
No, I'm afreaid so.

Ray

Wendy
October 26th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Hi there ...

... and welcome to the forum :)

I really don't think that there is another way ... besides which if you try out the demo version you will be able to see if you like it.

Sorry that there doesn't seem to be anothrer way to do it :(

Wendy

markson
October 26th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Thanks anyway - the problem is that I am running Win2000 and Photoshop Elements 4.0 won't install under that OS - so I will need to upgrade to XP and I wanted to gage if this is a worth while effort for me... never mind, thanks anyway...

Pauline
October 26th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Markson, if you're looking for a great imaging software with lots of help to get you going you can't go wrong with elements. There is so much support here. There are so many books available, on line lessons, subscriber area full of tutorials. I have not run across any other imaging software with so much support. Spend some time and look through the galleries of members to see the kind of stuff we have done. What is your goal? What is it you want to be able to do. If it's just the odd touch up then maybe you won't find it worth the effort, but if you really are interested in doing more then I can't recommend a better software, or a more helpful web site than this.

markson
October 26th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Thank you all very much - Pauline, Wendy and Ray - I am almost convinced...

Pauline
October 26th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Markson, all you have to do is spend some time here on the forums to tell how great the program is. None of us are paid for our comments. There are a few moderators on the site, but they don't hide. It says right at the bottom of their message who they are. Nothing in it for any of us. We just enjoy using elements and all the great people that we have met because of it. It's always nice to have the good company of fellow addicts. :wink: They don't get that glazed look and roll their eyes when you show them another creation. :roll: They really enjoy seeing them and sharing their own. Not much more I can say.

Wendy
October 26th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Hi there ...

Just a thought ... doesn't PSE3 use Windows 2000. You may be able to pick up a cheaper copy on eBay ... as people upgrade to PSE4 they usually sell off their old ones :)

Wendy

Barb O
October 27th, 2005, 03:50 PM
FYI for Ray and others,

My USA purchased PSE 4 retail box did have a printed Users Guide manual. Based on a quick review of the contents of the PSE 4 book, I think it is a printed equivalent of the Help contents.

As I recollect, my PSE 2 retail box a couple of years also had a printed book of the help contents.

Barb O

Dennis_S
October 28th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Hello,
Is it possible to just download the manual/help file for Photoshop Elements 4.0?
Thank you

The Complete Help file is a 35MB PDF file (471 pages) on the PSE4 CD.

Carbone
October 29th, 2005, 07:20 AM
My USA purchased PSE 4 retail box did have a printed Users Guide manual.

Barb,

That would be great news... how many pages is it ? Because with PSE3, there was only a small guide (I think 80 pages or so). More of a Quick Start guide, sort of.

Ray

Carbone
October 29th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Bumping this thread so that it shows up again, if Barb-O reads this...

:-D

Ray

Barb O
October 29th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Ray,

Yes, I remember that the discussion about Elements 3 only having that Getting Started Guide and no User Manual was quite lively.

The page count in the version 4 User Guide manual is 207 pages including index. There are 19 Chapters plus Keyboard Shortcuts and Glossary. The 19 chapter titles in this User Guide are the same as the Table of Contents top level topics of the Photoshop Elements 4 Help. Many of the topics of Help are included in the User Guide, but not all. For example, I just looked for info on the Noise Filters and the book said to view Help for descriptions of each Filter.

So my subjective comments are:

-There is definitely more provided in this v4 User Manual than in the v3 Getting Started

-However, this is not primarily a learning book. It it is primarily a reference book, but it does have some introductory guidance.

-Even the help text is not always sufficient.
I looked at Noise Filters and I wish that the help had more information about the parameters. The Magic Extractor text is longer but it still leaves me puzzled on how to effectively use it.

-So my personal opinion is that additional books are still very beneficial and probably necessary for some people.

Another point to mention is that I am not sure that all retail boxes have this printed User Guide - seems like someone posted that his box did not.

Barb O

Carbone
October 30th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Thank you for the extra details in your answer. I'm sure those who weren't too sure about upgrading or buying PSE4 for the first time will have something to think about.

Ray