PDA

View Full Version : Canvas size issues

tkjdnow
March 22nd, 2008, 07:47 AM
Using the preset canvas sizes or setting my own sizes, I am lost.

My problem is that if I cut and paste selections from other photos onto a blank canvas, the size of the selections is too big.

I'm trying to create a prototype for a painting which will be 3'x6', so I need a canvas in proportion to the final painting. I'm cutting and pasting rectangular
signs, and want to stack them along the side edge of the canvas. They are being cut form landscape-oriented photos.

When in desperation I changed the canvas size to 36"x72", the signs were minuscule and I had a 4GB image.

How can you get a canvas that fills the screen, and is in proportion to what you are pasting.

I have been struggling with PS for weeks, and it reduces me to tears every time I use it.

Is there ANY book -- I've looked at dozens -- that really helps?

Juergen D
March 22nd, 2008, 07:57 AM
My problem is that if I cut and paste selections from other photos onto a blank canvas, the size of the selections is too big.
Have both the canvas and the selections at the same resolution (e.g. 300 PPI).

Juergen

GaryK
March 22nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
Hi

There are a lot of books that are helpful and I am sure that others will list thier faves.. or just search the site for posts with "favorite books".:)

For your problem, there are a couple of things to look at.
What resolution is your 3x6 original document? This will have a direct influence on how big things look when you bring them in.
And of course the inverse.. what is the resolution of the things you are bringing in?

Once you drag in your signs just use the free transform tool (ctrl-t) to resize them.

Hope this helps.:)