PDA

View Full Version : Where to Start

rabdcd
January 8th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Having just stepped up from a point and shoot camera I decided that it was time to learn a little about enhancing my photo’s and basically learn how to do just a fraction of what can be done withing Elements however I feel totally useless and can’t seem to do anything except adjust the levels and basic adjustment. Can anybody out there offer some real practical advice of starting to learn Photoshop Elements 6 and I mean starting at the very beginning?

Robert

lisabee
January 8th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum :), I started with elements 5 in July 07 and started taking as many photos as I could to practice. I didn't have a step by step approach by any means, but soon found that I migrated from the quick edit part of PSE to the full edit as I wanted to get into the more arty side.
I did get the Scott Kelby Elements 5 book to start me off on the technical side of things (I think there is a book for PSE6 now). I also joined this forum and it has been the best thing I did in ages, I learned the most here and continue to learn.

A subscription to the PET (Photoshop Elements Techniques) site gives you access to loads of video tutorials and the site is taking subscriptions again.

I'm sure someone else will be able to give more tips on a step by step approach.

I just wanted to welcome you and say I look forward to seeing your pics of Saudi :)

Lisa

baderms
January 8th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Welcome to the forum. The way I learned (and still am) was to join this forum and start viewing all of the tutorials that are available, then took a couple of on-line classes to get my head around layers. Feel free to ask questions as this is a great group of people.

JulieM
January 8th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Hi Robert,

Welcome to the Village! Lisa and Mark have given you good advice. I'd just like to emphasize that this forum is filled with knowledgeable people who are ready to help. It is a remarkable place really. Hope we'll see more of you...

Joe M
January 8th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I'd just like to add that to really use PSE 6 you must be familar with Layers. I would suggest taking the Layers Class offered on this site. It made things so much easier for me.

Cmcburnett
January 8th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Hello, I'm glad you decided to join us. I agree w/everyone. Trying any tutorials will give you the feel of how the layers and different filters work which makes for some really nice techniques.

There are websites that offer downloads that work well in Elements that perform different techniques automatically that you may want to try after you get the feel of Elements. One of my favorite sites along w/several others in the forum is: http://www.graficalicus.com/graffishop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

It is a trusted site and they are very helpful with any download questions you may have.

RobertSchuldenfrei
January 8th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Having just stepped up from a point and shoot camera I decided that it was time to learn a little about enhancing my photo’s and basically learn how to do just a fraction of what can be done withing Elements however I feel totally useless and can’t seem to do anything except adjust the levels and basic adjustment. Can anybody out there offer some real practical advice of starting to learn Photoshop Elements 6 and I mean starting at the very beginning?

Robert

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the friendliest place on the web for all things Photoshop Elements (PSE). The same question was asked yesterday by Susie in a post called "101." Here was my response:

Welcome to Elements Village (EV), the right spot on the 'net for all things Photoshop Elements (PSE). I prefer to advise people to pick up a book and learn PSE step by step. Although many people plow into layers right out of the box, but be warned, this is one of the most difficult concepts a beginner could tackle.

This concept is not intuitively obvious. I might suggest that you pick up a good beginner's book on PSE and work your way through it step by step. Most people here have a favorite. For step by step learning I like Philip Andrews' Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0, A Visual Introduction to Digital Photography. This book needs to be updated to 6.0. A lot of folks here like Barbara Brundage's Photoshop Elements 6.0, The Missing Manual. I have that book on my shelf, but have not yet had a chance to read it cover to cover. Since you have 6.0 it might be a better choice.

Let us know what direction you choose.

Early on, learn how to post your images here with an in-line picture. Better yet, build a gallery. That way, friendly "Villagers" can give you tips to speed your learning experience. I look forward to seeing some of your images of Saudi Arabia.

Cheers,

Bob

bocabob
January 8th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Hi Robert,

Welcome to the friendliest place on the web for all things Photoshop Elements (PSE). The same question was asked yesterday by Susie in a post called "101." Here was my response:

Welcome to Elements Village (EV), the right spot on the 'net for all things Photoshop Elements (PSE). I prefer to advise people to pick up a book and learn PSE step by step. Although many people plow into layers right out of the box, but be warned, this is one of the most difficult concepts a beginner could tackle.

This concept is not intuitively obvious. I might suggest that you pick up a good beginner's book on PSE and work your way through it step by step. Most people here have a favorite. For step by step learning I like Philip Andrews' Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0, A Visual Introduction to Digital Photography. This book needs to be updated to 6.0. A lot of folks here like Barbara Brundage's Photoshop Elements 6.0, The Missing Manual. I have that book on my shelf, but have not yet had a chance to read it cover to cover. Since you have 6.0 it might be a better choice.

Let us know what direction you choose.

Early on, learn how to post your images here with an in-line picture. Better yet, build a gallery. That way, friendly "Villagers" can give you tips to speed your learning experience. I look forward to seeing some of your images of Saudi Arabia.

Cheers,

Bob
I have ordered Scott Kelbys new book on Elements 6.0(not available until next month) He is excellent!

Wendy
January 8th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Hi Robert ...

... and welcome to the Village :)

You really are a long way from home ... and I guess that the weather is a little better in Saudi than in Scotland.

One of the keys to using Elements is layers ... I did a basic walkthough on using layers for someone a while back and that may help you. Here is a link to it:

The Basics of Layers (http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/forum/showthread.php?p=272738)

Hope it helps :)

Wendy

nkeevers
January 8th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I agree with Joe. The basics are easy to learn but the most important I think about PE is layers. I would suggest taking the layers tutorial or get your hands on a good book that can explain it in detail. I learned the basics but just couldn't grasp the layers until I took the class. After that it was a major change for me.

cats4jan
January 8th, 2008, 06:19 PM
After you figure out layers, I would play with the tools.

At first I used the tools in their default setting - never using the options. Once I discovered each tool as an option bar above the editing space, I really started learning.

I learned hit/miss - trial/error - didn't find these wonderful sites until after the stuggle.

You are lucky to find this site at the beginning of your journey.

jjvera00
January 8th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I took the online Layers class on the Photshop Elements website. It is a 21 day class and a great way to learn layers.

I am sure you have already been told this but be sure to register at the PET site. And then review the Layers class syllabus to see if you want to take it. The classes are $24.99 which isn't too bad.

Welcome and enjoy!

Johnny

rabdcd
January 9th, 2008, 01:36 AM
What can I say I'm utterly stunned by the welcome I've received to the forum so many thanks to everyone.

I've subscribed to the online layers lesson which I found brilliant and I've got the missing manual being brought in from the UK so watch this space for some pictures from Saudi