PDA

View Full Version : Question for XP Users

Jancy
February 28th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Has anyone here used the Windows Defender Software? Microsoft offers this for free. I have been Google-ing spyware software and there are so many different ones now to choose from.
Thanks,
Jancy

SenorSlick
February 28th, 2007, 10:14 PM
No, but I have used Grisoft AVG free edition for many years and it is excellent! I know some Microsoft Techs that use it as well. Harvey

Carbone
February 28th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I don't think AVG Free is an anti spyware, though. I use spybot on the windows machine I have to use, in combination with AVG Free.

Ray

Ellen
February 28th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Hi, I run Windows defender and spybot and lavasoft and they all seem to get along. I like free. Defender updates itself and I manually update the other 2. I think it's only firewalls that you can't have several of.

Jancy
February 28th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the quick info everyone I downloaded the Windows Defender, haven't installed it yet, just wanted to hear what others may recommend. Glad to hear Ellen that you haven't had any problems with it. My computer has been running great, no problems, and I just didn't want to cause any.
Thanks Again,
Jancy

larrymcg
February 28th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I had Windows Defender installed for a couple months. As far as I could tell it only got excited (and reported issues) when it was updating itself! Complained about all kinds of system changes (which, upon careful examination, were associated with the Win Defender automatic updates!).

From time to time it would complain about other changes but they had to do with the installation or updates of applications.

Maybe I couldn't figure out the right options, but I never saw an obvious notification of a problem -- only events logged in the system/application event log.

So, I got rid of it.

--Larry

Jancy
February 28th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Larry,
Were you using the Beta Version or the one that is available now?
Thanks,
Jancy

larrymcg
February 28th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I started with the beta and upgraded to the official version. No difference w.r.t. the things I mentioned.

--Larry

Jancy
February 28th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Thanks so much for the info Larry. What would you recommend?
Jancy

larrymcg
March 1st, 2007, 11:29 AM
Actually, since I uninstalled Win Defender I am not using an active anti-spyware product. And I never used one before then either. I do use Spybot S&D and Lavasoft's Ad-Aware SE to do scans from time to time. Over many, many years of using PCs and Macs on the internet I have never gotten any spyware or even a virus. Spybot and Ad-Aware complain about "tracking cookies" but those are not bad. I use McAfee VirusScan for anti-virus. I don't use their other products (firewalls, etc.). I do use the M$ firewall built into WinXP but it's known to be pretty weak.

I guess the bottom line is that I can't really recommend an active anti-spyware product since I don't use one.

--Larry

nkeevers
March 1st, 2007, 11:29 AM
I'm on XP and I use Spybot and I've always had great luck with it! It's free, but they take donations. And it was recommended by PC Magazine; that's how I found out about it.

Jancy
March 1st, 2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks again for all the info. I personally do not use any spyware or adware. I have been using Norton Secuity for years and I have not had any problems with anything. I had 1 virus about 10 years ago and that was no big deal. I do a weekly scan on my computer on the ewido site for tracking cookies but that is all. I was just wondering about the spyware when I did my windows update and just wondered if I should try it. Thanks again
Jancy

GraceT
March 1st, 2007, 03:01 PM
Another excellent freeware is Spyware Blaster. http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

"Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially unwanted sites in Internet Explorer."

Spyware Blaster prevents the installation of many spyware but Spyware Blaster is not a scanner for spyware.

jazzfisher
March 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM
I had it for a while--didn't seem to do anything special so I took it off.
I've been using the AOL security--has virus, spy,firewall, hacker, etc. Works well doesn't interfere with anything, Im very happy with it. I think anyone can use since aol is free now. Much better than Norton!

Benny Pedersen
March 24th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Has anyone here used the Windows Defender Software? Microsoft offers this for free. I have been Google-ing spyware software and there are so many different ones now to choose from.
Thanks,
Jancy

Yes there exist lots Anti-Spyware, but most(some) of those named Anti should be renamed without Anti :eek:

Since I don't want a bad Anti-Spyware, I simply is sure about what to use, and then I use that one for years. "Lavasoft Ad-Aware" is still in use, but I'm now also using another one named "SuperAntispyware", URL: http://www.superantispyware.com/downloads/SUPERAntiSpyware1241.exe

Before I started on this reply, I removed lots of bad things manuely, then
while I wrote this reply, I scanned this computer.
Below is a screenshot from "mspaint" (PSE is not installed on this computer).

Benny

Fernan
March 24th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Jancy i use it. It is ok. Also use Lavasoft Ad -aware SE, AVAST and Zone Alarm Pro.

Jancy
March 24th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the info-- Still looking into it. Has anybody seen this site? I think it's pretty interesting:
http://spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
Jancy

ATR
March 24th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I have not tried any of the previously mentioned software with my XP, but
have you checked out SpywareBlaster?

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

ATR

Benny Pedersen
March 25th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the info-- Still looking into it. Has anybody seen this site? I think it's pretty interesting:
http://spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
Jancy

No No and No. I see that you havn't understood my previous reply.
Maybe I wasted my time replying old threads, :mad: but(so) I repeat it here:

I simply is sure about what to use, and then I use that one for years.
"Lavasoft Ad-Aware" is still in use, but now I'm using "SuperAntispyware", URL...

Why ask, and then still searching around (unless you are searching problems) :)
Forget the spywareblaster advice :eek:
Download and install the "SuperAntispyware".

Benny

Jancy
March 25th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Benny,
I asked because I value everyones opinion-I do appreciate what you and everyone here has to say. I also appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post, but I also feel that reading about and installing a program on my computer is very important and would like to avoid problems if at all possible.
Thank you again
Jancy

robpendragon
March 25th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Chatting with other admins from my site the conclusion is that each spyware removal program does not remove or catch all, I run Spybot Search & destroy on all my computers (& it's free) along with AVG security. For instance one may detect another & one will not. I would highly recommend running Spybot even if you think you are ok, you might be surprised. It's free & if you don't like it no harm done. http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10401314.html?tag=lst-0-1

Jancy
March 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks alot Rob. Appreciate your suggestion. Will take at look at that and superantispyware now.
Jancy

Benny Pedersen
March 29th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I should not had said it like that, I was just :( ...

:) :D
Benny

Jancy
March 29th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Oh That's ok--We all have days like that!!! I did download it and when I have a few minutes to install it I am going to give it a try....:) :) :)
Thanks again
Jancy

Jancy
April 1st, 2007, 05:40 PM
Benny,
Installed it and it is very easy to use--some tracking cookies which I do usually get and remove using Ewido, but this found a bit more.
Thank you
Jancy