PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading?

jesshen
February 28th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Hello, I am considering upgrading from PSE3 to PSE5... can anybody tell me 1) approximately how much it costs to upgrade (U.S.), 2) how to do it (through Adobe somehow?) 3) Will I lose all my brushes, & add-ons that I did to my PSE3 over time? Will I be able to easily "move" all those things over?

I read the other thread about PSE5 vs. CS2 for scrapbooking with great interest. Isn't CS2 quite a lot more expensive than PSE5? I think I am looking for more ease of use... bang for the buck. Am I correct in thinking to shoot for PSE5, if I upgrade at all?

Thanks,

Jessica

msbrad
February 28th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Hi Jessica,
I upgraded to 5 and bought the program on sale. check with the usual stores (best buy, staples, circuit city etc) and see where the best price is.
Yes you can copy and move your brushes over.
I think everything I had in v.4 made it to v.5, unless I forgot something.
And yes, it is significantly less in price.
Hope this helps.
m

Pauline
February 28th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Jessica it really depends on what you want to do. For a lot of people CS2 might be overkill. For others it's perfect. I have it and love it. Yes it is considerably more expensive.

Scrapbooking can be done with both programs. Some things are just done a little differently in cs2. You can go to adobe's site and down load trial versions of both and see which you would prefer. pse5 has a great styles and effects palette for scrapbooking and you could even purchase Jodi's new cd which gives you a pile more beautiful back grounds and frames.

jesshen
February 28th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks... I will look around. I saw it at Fry's for Adobe's upgrade price last Saturday.

Also, does PSE5 have the PET extras already built in? Like Layer Mask, Curves where you manipulate the curve yourself? I know PSE5 has a canned version of Curves which is very nice, but can you still control the curve itself if you want to?

Jessica

Pauline
February 28th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Sadly no layer mask in pse 5. You could use Grants tools for it though. As for curves, I 'think' it's just slider you move around but I'm not positive as to be truthful I haven't looked at it in pse5. 99% of the time now I'm using cs2. I got pse5 as a prize after cs2 was purchased .